Trumpeter "Late" Grizzly available

Trumpeter "Late" Grizzly available

April 14th, 2012, 4:24 am #1

Canadian Forces Grizzly 6x6 Wheeled Armored Vehicle "LATE"
Trumpeter is now available!

Link:http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10176865
Enjoy!|
Last edited by Adats on April 14th, 2012, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 14th, 2012, 4:57 am #2

Oh my...what have they created?

It looks like the exact same totally incorrect 180 degree backwards turret parts.

They have the incorrect Cougar main gun deflector on the engine grill and now they have added a tank phone on the back door...thankfully these are separate parts.

The machine gun barrels still look like toys.

It looks from the sprue shots and the instructions all the previous issues with the Early version are carried over here.....but at least the turret build instructions are included this time.

The good thing is that we have another version of a Canadian AFV and you can use the mirrors, spare tire rack, XML tires, and rear storage boxes as a great start to updating the Cougar kit to the late version.

The colour and decals are actually pretty accurate for the Grizzly Artillery Gun Tractors deployed with SFOR in Bosnia....they had the late mods, no bolt on add-on armour, no LAST armour package, and were solid NATO green.

Last edited by jasonbobro on April 14th, 2012, 7:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

April 14th, 2012, 1:34 pm #3

now, if we had an LG-1, that would make for a nice GGT.

I think BVM / MLM should offer their Grizzly/TLAV turrets as separate items.

Photo shows marine drives, but the sprue with the tank telephone also has the parts for the stowage bins that were mounted in lieu of the props.

It's got the rear door locks too.

Did the early AVGP come with that big clear sprue?

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

April 14th, 2012, 4:50 pm #4

Yup, the clear sprue is the same....parts for the driver's windscreen take up most of it.

It would be nice for BVM...i.e...Azimut Productions to sell the Grizzly turret but their customer service and ordering appears to be lacking. Some guys have been waiting for a half year and still haven't seen their orders show up....and no follow-up communication.

As per my review of the Early Grizzly turret it is fixable as long as you cut it all apart and then assemble it correctly.....but why should we have to do that? Trumpeter....fix the darn thing!

I suspect with the tank phone included and shown in the instructions that we will see a Late version Cougar too....the instructions at that point are generic for the AVGP.

Ian Smith
Ian Smith

April 14th, 2012, 5:51 pm #5

OK guys, not only do i have gunners ears i can't see the error with the turret.
can anyone show me what is wrong with the turret? to me it looks OK.

April 14th, 2012, 6:25 pm #6

If you compare the kit to the some photos, there are some problems.
1) The ends of the side plates are different lengths; not the same as in the kit. Note the longer ones (red arrow) are opposite on the other side, same with the white.

2) The center seam/bend of the side plates should be perpendicular, not angled like the kit:

3) I think the side angle should be greater, it's fairly shallow on the kit (white side angle), this throws out the other front lower plate shapes:

4) Debatable, but I think the rear top plate has a slight trapezoidal shape to it, not a perfect right-angle rectangle like the kit:

These may be small things but to me the kit turret just doesn't look right. I think new side plates are a start, but then everything else will have to be built up to fit them.

Jim

April 16th, 2012, 6:51 am #7

OK guys, not only do i have gunners ears i can't see the error with the turret.
can anyone show me what is wrong with the turret? to me it looks OK.
Hello Ian
Just want to point out if you rotate the turret as the online suggestion states. One thing you will discover, the turret ring on the hull will have to move as well. I did this change and found that the turret rotating actually ran over the crew commander hatch. Good luck.

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

April 16th, 2012, 3:53 pm #8

Ying,

Thanks for the additional input. Could you post your build pictures? I have very much enjoyed seeing the work you have done on your Grizzly to correct and detail it further and I think they images would be very imformative to others as well.

April 16th, 2012, 7:09 pm #9

Hi Jason
Yes the pictures are coming. I have just a few more important tweaks to make, before I shoot pics of the whole thing. I have the tools, and the front light mounts to finish. I have almost all the turret pics assembled to post soon. My only area I couldn't get the knack for is the engine grills. That I will try again on the next Grizzly attempt. Hope very soon in the next coming days.
Best wishes all and happy modeling

April 16th, 2012, 11:37 pm #10

Hi everybody
Hope your models are going well. As I am nearing the building stage, I am curious as to paint colours available, especially the greens to the Grizzly. I can see the enamels provide decent colour matches. Does anyone know the acrylic colours matches with Tamiya/Lifecolor/Vellejo Air??? I suspect Model Master acrylic would be the best matches.

Thanks all