Post War Shermans &Stuarts

Post War Shermans &Stuarts

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

December 14th, 2001, 5:45 pm #1

I am looking for some details on the marking carried by Shermans (M4A2 76mm HVSS (W)) and Stuarts in the post war period.

I am particularly interested in those vehicles served in the Land Forces Central Area (i.e. Ontario ).

Thanks in advance.

Alfred

December 20th, 2001, 1:46 pm #2

I am with an Armd Recce Regiment on the east coast and any photos of Stuarts and Shermans post war have no markings that are recognizable, most are olive drab with maybe a serial number. Our regiment used both and in our museum pictures show no markings. I was told there were no markings because militia regiments shared vehicles. Hope this helps.

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

December 21st, 2001, 8:26 pm #3

Yes, I have noticed that too. The most noticable are the serial numbers usually print/hand written on the side by the driver's hatch e.g. 69-XXXX etc. However, I have also noticed there are some pictures ( very unclear ) that the Sherman in Central area carried the Armour Corps red/yellow flash and the white band on top. I believe there exist a Central area insignia as well.

Sooner or later I probably have to admit defeat and just paint the Sherman and Stuarts green and claim to be used by my Regiment.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year !

Alfred

December 22nd, 2001, 3:59 am #4

The sketchy info that I have would indicate that vehicles of Armoured Corps units in Ontario ('Central Command') during this timeframe would have the red/yellow flash of the Armd Corps as well as the Central Command formation sign. This consisted of a red shield with a yellow castle turret and the phrase "Central Command" (in white) over the shield.

Cheers,

Jeep

(Remove 'TAKEOUT' to reply)

Don
Don

December 22nd, 2001, 4:36 pm #5

December 27th, 2001, 2:28 am #6

Is the title written out in one line, or stacked and centre justified?

Don
Don

December 27th, 2001, 6:04 pm #7

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

December 28th, 2001, 12:07 am #8

Would you mind tale a picture of it ? I am desparate :-).

Alfred

Alfred Lai
Alfred Lai

December 28th, 2001, 12:10 am #9

The sketchy info that I have would indicate that vehicles of Armoured Corps units in Ontario ('Central Command') during this timeframe would have the red/yellow flash of the Armd Corps as well as the Central Command formation sign. This consisted of a red shield with a yellow castle turret and the phrase "Central Command" (in white) over the shield.

Cheers,

Jeep

Jeep,

Your description seems to be the B/W shape I have seen on some very old and blurr picture. Come to think of it, I think I have seen it on that post war M4A2 HVSS use to be sitting in the open in Borden.

Alfred

Graeme Davidson
Graeme Davidson

February 15th, 2013, 12:27 pm #10

I am looking for some details on the marking carried by Shermans (M4A2 76mm HVSS (W)) and Stuarts in the post war period.

I am particularly interested in those vehicles served in the Land Forces Central Area (i.e. Ontario ).

Thanks in advance.

Alfred
Al, found this thread while I was looking for the same thing (thankfully JP has this fourm set up so replies will bring a thread to the top, unlike ML where the same questions get asked over and over because once a thread drops of page 1, it ceases to be a discussion point...but that's a rant for another day).

I have managed to find scant pics of Shermans, and none of post-war Stuarts. I woudl be really interested in seeing post war Stuarts.

These are captioned as being Meaford c1967. Turret looks to have a 8-pointed star on it. Maybe Ontario Regiment? They had Shermans until 1972 (!), QYRANG turned in their tanks for jeeps in 1965 when they became Armd Recce. Centurions are probably RCD.

"Sherman Tank at Petawawa" Going to say RCD based on location.

Possibly the same exercise (image tags are sequential).

The above markings are very similar to those RCD Shermans as they appeared on return to US-loaned tanks in Korea in 1954: