New Revell Leopard 2A4 vs HobbyBoss...

New Revell Leopard 2A4 vs HobbyBoss...

April 16th, 2013, 5:16 am #1

Thanks to another snowstorm on Saturday I had some spare time to check out the new Revell kit (local HS had it for $35) vs. the HobbyBoss 2A4. Just a few quick photos and observations:

(1)The Revell multi-piece lower hull goes together pretty well and with the two internal braces builds up into a solid piece. A lot of the deck parts are provided as separate pieces where they are molded in place on the Hobbyboss one:

(2)Separate Driver's hatch, different pattern of anti-slip patches. Plate in center has raised line whereas engraved on HB. (welded?) Hull periscope is wider on Revell:

(3)Proper number of grills, rectangular covers are provided in Revell for lower hull, not the exposed ovals as on the HB kit:

(4)Although I didn't assemble it yet, I think the rear bin will fit much better on the Revell kit (not so good on the HB kit):

(5)Revell has solid periscopes. I never noticed but the HB kit has the raised bit for the front left anti-skid patch; but not the texture. Also note the bolt pattern around the loader's hatch:

(6)Both have mold seams across the front faces of the turret. The Revell kit has some nasty sink marks on the mantlet front (already filled and sanded):

Some assorted sprue shots:

MAG-58 for NL version is a little anemic:

Little serial number castings on the road wheels:

Drive sprocket:

Engine grills:

Backs provided for the front armoured skirts if you choose to show them up for maintenance/transport:

In my opinion, I'm thinking the Revell kit has the edge over the HB kit.

Jim

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

April 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm #2

Thanks for doing the comparison Jim. If the weather stays the same you'll have many more snow days for more comparisons! It should all melt by July!

April 17th, 2013, 1:43 pm #3

Thanks to another snowstorm on Saturday I had some spare time to check out the new Revell kit (local HS had it for $35) vs. the HobbyBoss 2A4. Just a few quick photos and observations:

(1)The Revell multi-piece lower hull goes together pretty well and with the two internal braces builds up into a solid piece. A lot of the deck parts are provided as separate pieces where they are molded in place on the Hobbyboss one:

(2)Separate Driver's hatch, different pattern of anti-slip patches. Plate in center has raised line whereas engraved on HB. (welded?) Hull periscope is wider on Revell:

(3)Proper number of grills, rectangular covers are provided in Revell for lower hull, not the exposed ovals as on the HB kit:

(4)Although I didn't assemble it yet, I think the rear bin will fit much better on the Revell kit (not so good on the HB kit):

(5)Revell has solid periscopes. I never noticed but the HB kit has the raised bit for the front left anti-skid patch; but not the texture. Also note the bolt pattern around the loader's hatch:

(6)Both have mold seams across the front faces of the turret. The Revell kit has some nasty sink marks on the mantlet front (already filled and sanded):

Some assorted sprue shots:

MAG-58 for NL version is a little anemic:

Little serial number castings on the road wheels:

Drive sprocket:

Engine grills:

Backs provided for the front armoured skirts if you choose to show them up for maintenance/transport:

In my opinion, I'm thinking the Revell kit has the edge over the HB kit.

Jim
Hi guys,

Thought I'd add a few quick shots of the Revell vs Italeri comparison:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 683cbc4c8c

So far Revell has the edge here too, although they seem to've made a few mistakes with anti-slip on the engine deck (at least for a Dutch Leo 2A4) and may be missing one inspection hatch.

Cheers,

Olaf

April 19th, 2013, 1:58 am #4

Yep, I still have one of those in my stash too, with one of the first ever p.e. sets I ever bought; an On the Mark detail set for it! I was wondering about that small circular inspection hatch as well - maybe later versions don't have it? Hard to see on any photos because the turret is over it.

Jim

April 19th, 2013, 10:19 am #5

I'm fairly sure that that hatch was only on the first production batch, possibly second as well. Does the Italeri kit have the wind sensor plate centre rear of the turret roof. That was also first batch only.

Cheers
Mike

April 19th, 2013, 3:25 pm #6

Hi Michael,

Yep, the Italeri turret still has that circular plate on the centre rear turret roof. Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers,

Olaf