My Coyote build...need mesh recommendation

My Coyote build...need mesh recommendation

September 15th, 2009, 2:19 am #1

Hi folks

I'm building a Coyote and unfortunately started with the AEF conversion, but I'm making the best of it. That said I've made good progress scratch building by eye to make it at least look like one, but need some guidance on what kind/size of diamond/diagonal mesh would folks recommend for the turret baskets. As you can see I made new ones with wire and sheet plastic.

thanks
Tony

September 15th, 2009, 2:27 am #2

Off the cuff I would just use scale scenics diamond mesh, but since you;ve already paid such attention to detail that may not cut it.

Maybe Miro at RM would sell the turret basket etch for the yote separately? May not fit yours though.

Still, very nice work.

GD

Jason Bobrowich
Jason Bobrowich

September 15th, 2009, 4:09 am #3

Hi folks

I'm building a Coyote and unfortunately started with the AEF conversion, but I'm making the best of it. That said I've made good progress scratch building by eye to make it at least look like one, but need some guidance on what kind/size of diamond/diagonal mesh would folks recommend for the turret baskets. As you can see I made new ones with wire and sheet plastic.

thanks
Tony
Maybe consider the new PE set by Eduard for the ASLAV...it includes all the mesh for the baskets.

Good work on your Coyote.

September 15th, 2009, 5:13 am #4

Hi folks

thanks
Tony
What time frame are you going to do the `yote up in.

Cheers

Anthony

September 15th, 2009, 5:12 pm #5

Thanks folks for the feedback so far. On time frame it's a good question I'm far from an expert on the subject to know what was used when. I'm going mostly by pictures I've seen through this site. I don't for instance have plans for blast shields. I'll take guidance from the experts here to avoid obvious gaffs. I do like the tan coloured vehicles, but from what I've read in this forum the NATO green ones are more prevalent.

As for the mesh I know vendors like ABER make some, but would I use the fine, medium or large size...not seeing them up close before it is hard for me to know. I would like to keep the cost as low as possible so using the ASLAV set is too expensive.

Here is another fix I did to the AEF part where I removed the frame from the front shield then corrected it. Again all possible due to the pictures shared. Thanks to all those posters who make them available.

regards,
Tony

Nigel Davis
Nigel Davis

September 15th, 2009, 6:38 pm #6

Hi folks

thanks
Tony
I have used dollar store frying pan 'splatter screen' mesh for the baskets on my Cougar and other kits. It is cheap, comes in a large size (12" diameter) has a diamond shape, easier to cut and work with that photo etch or brass and hasa good scale appearance. The screens are used to stop all that nutricious Bacon fat from spraying everywhere and can be found at most dollar stores or well stocked grocery stores in the kitchen wares area. Good luck.

September 15th, 2009, 7:08 pm #7

Thanks folks for the feedback so far. On time frame it's a good question I'm far from an expert on the subject to know what was used when. I'm going mostly by pictures I've seen through this site. I don't for instance have plans for blast shields. I'll take guidance from the experts here to avoid obvious gaffs. I do like the tan coloured vehicles, but from what I've read in this forum the NATO green ones are more prevalent.

As for the mesh I know vendors like ABER make some, but would I use the fine, medium or large size...not seeing them up close before it is hard for me to know. I would like to keep the cost as low as possible so using the ASLAV set is too expensive.

Here is another fix I did to the AEF part where I removed the frame from the front shield then corrected it. Again all possible due to the pictures shared. Thanks to all those posters who make them available.

regards,
Tony
Tan would be Apollo circa 2002.

GD

September 15th, 2009, 8:45 pm #8

I have used dollar store frying pan 'splatter screen' mesh for the baskets on my Cougar and other kits. It is cheap, comes in a large size (12" diameter) has a diamond shape, easier to cut and work with that photo etch or brass and hasa good scale appearance. The screens are used to stop all that nutricious Bacon fat from spraying everywhere and can be found at most dollar stores or well stocked grocery stores in the kitchen wares area. Good luck.
I've used wedding tulle fabric found at any arts and crafts store. It's plastic (or nylon maybe...), easy to cut and shape, takes Tamiya Thin Cement and Ambroid Proweld when you're gluing it to plastic and CA glue when attaching it to metal. It comes in a myriad of shapes and colours but diamond is most common. I have about 20 x 12" dia. sheets of it I bought for about 5 bucks. Works great.

cheers

Bob

September 19th, 2009, 6:39 pm #9

Great suggestion I found a screen and it looks in scale....I'm cutting them out to attach and I'll have a couple of photos of the baskets shortly. Thanks again.

September 19th, 2009, 6:42 pm #10

Off the cuff I would just use scale scenics diamond mesh, but since you;ve already paid such attention to detail that may not cut it.

Maybe Miro at RM would sell the turret basket etch for the yote separately? May not fit yours though.

Still, very nice work.

GD
thanks for the encouragement here is the frame for the front tire. I did get a set of the Real Model tires as the AEF ones had too much work to correct casting pin holes & worse with the rims.

regards,