Leopard C2'A1' blog

Leopard C2'A1' blog

Jim Carswell
Jim Carswell

October 29th, 2007, 3:53 am #1

With the impending release of MLM's conversion I thought I'd start up a build log of a C2A1. Hopefully it will help with any questions that arise when you start your builds. Now don't start asking when it will be out, I'm sure Jeep will announce it when it's ready .
I'm using my assorted Leopard bits, so I've got dark colored Revell-Germany parts and lighter Italeri Leopard 1A2 bits.
So on to it.

Part 1: Lower hull preparation.
Much of this info can be used for a regular C2 as well, also the C1A1 as the hull armour is very similar.

-1- This is the beast I'll try to replicate:

-2- First some small C2 details. All the C2's I've ever seen don't have the guide tooth retaining ring on the drive sprocket as seen here.

-3- ...so we have to remove it when assembling the Italeri kit. I clipped off what I could, then mounted it in my hi-tech lathe (cordless drill!) and filed it off. I re-contoured the hub a bit more after this photo was taken.

-4- In this view I added a casting of a scratchbuilt hydraulic bumper stop which occasionally shows up of some C2's.

-5- The front fenders need to be removed to fit the MEXAS armour. Also visible is a casting of the Italeri Leopard 2 idler wheel as the C2's went to the smaller diameter idler. The opening is filled with a strip of .060 x .080" styrene.

-6- Here I've re-located the convoy light mount lower (about 3mm) - so it roughly lines up with the bottom of the tool bin. This is so the barrel clamp (which will be rebuilt) fits properly. A small circular 'lens' molded on the kit will have to be shaved off first so the mount fits there.

-7- Next...rebuilding the kit barrel clamp so that it actually looks like it's supposed to.

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask!
Cheers,
Jim

October 29th, 2007, 1:59 pm #2

Hey Jim,
This blog will a lot for sure. You have some nice reference photo also ! Now just to clarify, when you talk about this C2A1, what the "A1" stand for ? Is it because it has the MEXAS armour on ?

Luc Desormeaux
http://www.campmapleleaf.org

October 29th, 2007, 3:43 pm #3

I think the 'A1' designation is an unofficial way to differentiate between a regular unarmoured C2 vs the MEXAS one. Same for the C1A1 used during KFOR. Not sure exactly where it originated - maybe one of those mysterious modeller inventions !

Jim

October 30th, 2007, 4:41 am #4

With the impending release of MLM's conversion I thought I'd start up a build log of a C2A1. Hopefully it will help with any questions that arise when you start your builds. Now don't start asking when it will be out, I'm sure Jeep will announce it when it's ready .
I'm using my assorted Leopard bits, so I've got dark colored Revell-Germany parts and lighter Italeri Leopard 1A2 bits.
So on to it.

Much of this info can be used for a regular C2 as well, also the C1A1 as the hull armour is very similar.

-2- First some small C2 details. All the C2's I've ever seen don't have the guide tooth retaining ring on the drive sprocket as seen here.

-3- ...so we have to remove it when assembling the Italeri kit. I clipped off what I could, then mounted it in my hi-tech lathe (cordless drill!) and filed it off. I re-contoured the hub a bit more after this photo was taken.

-4- In this view I added a casting of a scratchbuilt hydraulic bumper stop which occasionally shows up of some C2's.

-5- The front fenders need to be removed to fit the MEXAS armour. Also visible is a casting of the Italeri Leopard 2 idler wheel as the C2's went to the smaller diameter idler. The opening is filled with a strip of .060 x .080" styrene.

-6- Here I've re-located the convoy light mount lower (about 3mm) - so it roughly lines up with the bottom of the tool bin. This is so the barrel clamp (which will be rebuilt) fits properly. A small circular 'lens' molded on the kit will have to be shaved off first so the mount fits there.

-7- Next...rebuilding the kit barrel clamp so that it actually looks like it's supposed to.

Cheers,
Jim
Those are great tweaks.

Thanks for the detail pictures. I've never seen a shot like that of the fender mount.

Paul

November 2nd, 2007, 2:44 am #5

So on to it.

Cheers,
Jim
The Idler wheel from the Italeri 2A6 kit would be suitable for the MEXAS C2 right? I'm assuming there was no suspension redesign between the A5 and A6. Also what bits from the 1A5 are you using cause I have some bits from that kit aswell. Also using the Italeri 1A2 shouldn't require further modifications from those you have and will eventually mention?

Pete Hickey
Pete Hickey

November 2nd, 2007, 2:00 pm #6

So on to it.

Cheers,
Jim
Thanks Jim.
A question about the TLAV in the first picture though. What I'm seeing looks to be an M113a2 with an RWS, yes? It looks as though the conversion has started, meaning the track commanders hole has changed position and the RWS in located between the drivers station and the crew commanders. Or maybe just an a3 without the track conversion?
I was wondering if I could use the AFV Strykers RWS? Does anyone have photos of the topside of the TLAV? ....curious
Anyway, looking forward to the C2 build.
Thanks
Pete

November 2nd, 2007, 4:04 pm #7

The Idler wheel from the Italeri 2A6 kit would be suitable for the MEXAS C2 right? I'm assuming there was no suspension redesign between the A5 and A6. Also what bits from the 1A5 are you using cause I have some bits from that kit aswell. Also using the Italeri 1A2 shouldn't require further modifications from those you have and will eventually mention?
Hi Andrew,
Yep, the Italeri 2A5 idler should be the same. I think the Italeri Leopard 2, older Leo 2A5'KWS', and more up to date 2A5/2A6 kits all have the same wheel sprue.
The Italeri and Revell-Germany Leopard 1 kits all have the same lower hull parts, so no problem there. You could use the Italeri Leopard 1A2 kit for the C2A1 conversion, as you won't need the turret 'skirt' armour of the 1A4/1A5, but you will still have to find the gunner's sight doghouse and raised periscope which sits behind it. I think MLM 1014 has these parts.

Jim

November 2nd, 2007, 4:07 pm #8

Not all the MEXAS C-2's had the Leo 2 idler wheels. Most if not all had the regular idler wheels. As to put the Leo 2 idler wheel on we would have to short shoe the tracks to make it fit, Mostly, when we had a chance to change them , we would keep the regular road wheel as the idler wheel. Our ARV's had the Leo 2 Idler wheels. The reason we had a hard time finding the smaller idler wheels as the supply system was a lot slower and we had to make do with what we had. I spent over six months in the beasts over in the sandbox.
Cheers
Anthony

November 2nd, 2007, 4:18 pm #9

Hi Andrew,
Yep, the Italeri 2A5 idler should be the same. I think the Italeri Leopard 2, older Leo 2A5'KWS', and more up to date 2A5/2A6 kits all have the same wheel sprue.
The Italeri and Revell-Germany Leopard 1 kits all have the same lower hull parts, so no problem there. You could use the Italeri Leopard 1A2 kit for the C2A1 conversion, as you won't need the turret 'skirt' armour of the 1A4/1A5, but you will still have to find the gunner's sight doghouse and raised periscope which sits behind it. I think MLM 1014 has these parts.

Jim
I assumed the 1A2 was identical to the parts that come with the other two Leopard kits. I have the Revell 1A5 and the Italeri 1A4 so I was confident that the 1A2 would be identical, just wondering if there was some crazy thing on 1A2s had that was removed for the C2.

November 2nd, 2007, 4:21 pm #10

Not all the MEXAS C-2's had the Leo 2 idler wheels. Most if not all had the regular idler wheels. As to put the Leo 2 idler wheel on we would have to short shoe the tracks to make it fit, Mostly, when we had a chance to change them , we would keep the regular road wheel as the idler wheel. Our ARV's had the Leo 2 Idler wheels. The reason we had a hard time finding the smaller idler wheels as the supply system was a lot slower and we had to make do with what we had. I spent over six months in the beasts over in the sandbox.
Cheers
Anthony
There are quite a few pictures of C2s in Afghanistan with the regular Idler wheel same with C2s in Canada, so I thought that not all had this modification. Thanks for the confirmation!