8CH Grizzly (1981)

8CH Grizzly (1981)

June 12th, 2013, 12:37 pm #1

As my Leo and Cougar projects come close to being finished I am turning to the planning stages of my AVGP Grizzly (Early). I have found these photos of Grizzlies from the HQ Squadron of 8th Hussars from 1981 and I want to model the CO's vehicle in a similar setting. I have a few questions regarding the photos and was wondering if someone could provide some insight.
1. I may be missing them but, I do not see mirrors installed. Would have this been the case in 1981?
2. I also don't see wire cutters installed. Should I leave these off for this version?
3. The troop compartment doors are open during the parade. Was this done for all parades? If so, what is my best (and easiest) option for including an interior in my Grizzly?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regi Patriaeque Fidelis

Last edited by ArmouredRecceNB on June 12th, 2013, 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 12th, 2013, 1:31 pm #2

I know sometimes mirrors were removed for live fire training, but that would not explain why they were removed for a parade. C/S 9 appears to have the mirror support arms in place, whereas 9A has nothing.

If your only reason for having the hatches open is because it's on parade, I'd leave em closed. Unless you really want to scratch an interior.

GD

June 12th, 2013, 2:33 pm #3

Thanks Graeme. I think I will just leave the hatches closed. I've also been working from old photos that my dad took in 1985 at Armed Forces Day in Gagetown that show the mirrors removed as well. I'll just leave them off, which works well because I can use one to replace a broken piece on my Cougar project.
Any insight or info on the wire cutters?

June 12th, 2013, 4:46 pm #4

One of the main reasons you don't see mirrows or wire cutters on photos of early AVGP's is that 75 percent of the time we were issued the veh kit there was no mirrows or wire cutters given out.
The mirrows were only held on by one clamp and bolt and kept getting knocked off, as well the mirrows kept giving away our position due to reflecting the sun while we moved cross country.
The early versions of the wire cutters were very bulky and hard to install, plus most of the time they either did not have the proper retaining pins or the cotter pins were missing.
And finaly there were only so many sets of mirrows and wire cutters in stores, not enough for all the vehs.

June 13th, 2013, 12:34 am #5

As my Leo and Cougar projects come close to being finished I am turning to the planning stages of my AVGP Grizzly (Early). I have found these photos of Grizzlies from the HQ Squadron of 8th Hussars from 1981 and I want to model the CO's vehicle in a similar setting. I have a few questions regarding the photos and was wondering if someone could provide some insight.
1. I may be missing them but, I do not see mirrors installed. Would have this been the case in 1981?
2. I also don't see wire cutters installed. Should I leave these off for this version?
3. The troop compartment doors are open during the parade. Was this done for all parades? If so, what is my best (and easiest) option for including an interior in my Grizzly?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Regi Patriaeque Fidelis

As stated the mirrors were hit or miss...they may not have been in stock...or if everybody didn't have them then nobody was mounting them on parade (you should know about standardized kit Cadet!)...or they were pinched and in someone's shaving kit (the most realistic answer!)

I agree...keep the troop hatches closed.

The wire cutters for the hull and turret were not mounted until the mid-1980s...so your early Grizzly would not have them. As you can also see...leave of the marine drive/prop guards....and you will have to backdate the turret to the original version with the center vision block, the old gunner's sight, and the AA external sight. Mount a C5 GPMG barrel and not a C6 barrel.

June 13th, 2013, 10:21 am #6

Thanks D Abbott and Jason. The lack of mirrors was not an explanation that I was expecting.When I asked around the armouries, nobody had an explanation. They should be equally surprised by the answer that you gave me.

Jason, I noticed the different sight in the pictures. Is the most obvious one the AA sight?

June 13th, 2013, 7:20 pm #7

Hello Michael
This project your doing comes with changes that you may choose to do or not. Currently there is no update set for the early-mid 80's versions. I've built this version you speak of by a little here in the history of this forum already with all the changes I did. The wire cutter I've seen was sporadic at times, mirrors were only mounted on open road marches, and removed when tactical. Of course like everyone says the tools were never mounted due to theft. Jason is right though the hardest part will be scratch building the turret AA sight, the old iron sight is what made this an 80's Grizzly. Lets not forget that the turret CO-AX machine gun was the trusty old C-5 GPMG .30Cal, in my eyes that looks great in that model turret. But this is your model do what you like! Have fun and I look forward to seeing you post it online. Hope you have the enthusiasm that I had when I made this model.
Good luck have fun modeling this subject
Ying

July 26th, 2013, 1:08 pm #8

Hi guys,
i am a modeler from Switzerland and i really like the Mowag Piranha Vehicle family. In case of that i start working on some Canadian AFV`s. First one is a early AVGP Grizzly around 1980. And i need some help on this early Grizzly. Currently i am working on the turret and i have some problems to find pictures/detail stuff for the attachment of the AA sight(correct?) mounted on the turret. Can somebody help me out with that?
This is a great website for everybody who is interested on Canadian AFV`s, i start to like the Canadian stuff.
You have to excuse my English, it isn`t that good.
Cheers and thanks to eveybody.

Christoph

July 26th, 2013, 1:57 pm #9

Welcome Christoph!

Great to see your interests in Canadian AFVs. The MOWAG site used to have excellent images of all of the MOWAG vehicles but they changed the format over the last few years and the detail images are gone.

Beyond backdating the turret you will need to leave off the wire cutters and their mounts and leave off the marine drive guards on the hull rear....don't mount the barrel deflector on the engine grill as that is for the Cougar only. As well don't mount the tank phone on the left rear door or the bask door lock on the upper rear hull. Use the original style brake line guards without the angled portion on the bottom. Make sure you use an air cooled GPMG barrel and not the later C6 barrel in the turret. That should get you going in the right direction for a 1980 era Grizzly.

Are you aware of the dimensional errors in the turret?

Ying's fantastic Grizzly build should help you out for sure with the turret details...

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/t ... s+Jason%21

http://www.network54.com/Forum/169232/t ... l+like+it-

July 26th, 2013, 2:38 pm #10

Hi Jason,
thank you for the fast reply. The most backdating stuff i figure out here on this website. I make the grills on the engine deck a little bit shorter and other things. Thanks for the link to Yings build report. Well, i think mine wouldnt be that good as Yings, my skills are at the moment not that high.... The only thing that makes me crazy is this AA sight attachment thing.
Yings build report will help a lot.
Thanks again, wish you a pleasent day.

Cheers Christoph