X7 - s.Jp.Abt 512

X7 - s.Jp.Abt 512

August 15th, 2011, 9:52 am #1

Hello all,

Welcome to the first Schwerpunkt group build!

For my build, I think i'll do one of the 'X' vehicles, X1, X2, X5, X7 - its still early days on this build, so I may find a different vehicle to depict in the meantime!

I replaced the kit tracks with Model Kasten workable tracks. While the kit supplied tracks are pretty great, i bought the Kastens for the track skirt hangers that come in the Kasten box, then thought it'd be wasteful not to use the tracks! They only took the best part of a day to put together.. time not wasted, eh?

Passion Models barrel, and H.Stone resin mantlet

SO, more shots to come, just gotta do more building.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au
Last edited by samd on November 2nd, 2011, 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 16th, 2011, 8:29 am #2

Sam,

Very tidy builds as usual...keep at it.
Ray.

August 17th, 2011, 11:51 am #3

Hello all,

For my build, I think i'll do one of the 'X' vehicles, X1, X2, X5, X7 - its still early days on this build, so I may find a different vehicle to depict in the meantime!

I replaced the kit tracks with Model Kasten workable tracks. While the kit supplied tracks are pretty great, i bought the Kastens for the track skirt hangers that come in the Kasten box, then thought it'd be wasteful not to use the tracks! They only took the best part of a day to put together.. time not wasted, eh?

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au
Im using the new Aber set for the Tamiya JT, which along with a heap of nice photo etched detail parts, comes with some tiny turned brass bits. Namely, the retaining studs for the C clamps, and the lifting lugs for the cast exhaust armour.

Added some cast numbers and thinned out the exhaust tips, and added the spreader bar at the tip.

So thats it for now.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 20th, 2011, 10:01 am #4

Here's a little more progress on the JT.

Textured the cast armour on the upper superstructure front (behind the mantlet)

Added the spare track hangers. The Otto Carius version of this kit comes with an additional row of hangers.

Worked on the roof. Just the main details so far, still welds etc. to add.

And the rear plate. Spare antenna tube got some brackets from the new Aber JT set. Still lots of detailing to go here

Schurtzen brackets that come with the MK tracks:

Also started adding flame cut texture to the interlocks

Thanks

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 20th, 2011, 11:52 pm #5

Hello all,

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au
There are some areas that need attention in regards to welds on this model, particularly around the hull front and rear armour. I used Tamiya epoxy putty 'quick type' to replicate the welds missing.

After mixing the 2 parts together, i rolled a very fine snake of putty and applied it to the areas needing welds.. I then textured it with the back end of a #75 drill bit, put backwards in a pin vice. A fresh #11 blade was used the trim the edges. This technique was first shown in an early issue of AFV Modeller, and is dead easy, and effective.

I've still got some tidying up of these welds to do:

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 28th, 2011, 11:14 pm #6

Hello all,

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au
Im at the adding detail stage now, mostly with Abers' etch set for the Tamiya JT.

Tools from MA Mori, clamps from Aber. Deck mesh from Aber too. I wound 2 different guages of wire together to get the effect for the retaining ring on the round vent mesh

I jammed a shovel into the pry bar bracket, shots of X7 show it missing the shovel brackets, and jamming the shovel in here sort of adds a little life to the side of the model

Weld added to the lifting flange on the mantlet, again with Tamiya quick type epoxy putty

More tool brackets and tow cable brackets, again from Aber

Added the travel lock, headlight mount (empty, from Tasca), headlight power cable to the front plate

These late JT's didnt mount the jack or the jack block, but you still see them stowed or carried on the vehicle, ive used the resin MA Mori jack block with Aber's carry handle, and i'll mount it on one of the cable hangers, in this shot its just placed there, as is a fire extinguisher, again MA Mori with Aber handle

Started to add spare track to the sides too.. I have some WW2 Productions KT/JT track thats simply unusable as kit tracks, but can be used as spares.. so I thought. Upon drilling out the tracks to take track pins (Adlers' Nest), the tracks just crumbled apart. Too much talc in the resin perhaps? Anyway, i ruined 10 just to get these 2..

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 29th, 2011, 9:18 pm #7

Well I pushed on with the spare tracks, after yesterdays' disastrous efforts, i managed to drill out the rest of the spare track, and didn't break one!

Mixed up spare track stowage with jerry cans and jack block/extinguisher. None of this is glued on yet, i'll secure it all when i make a final decision on where i want everything to go

I jammed a MA Mori jack down behind the exhausts, this seems to have been a relatively common place for stowing them

Thats all for today

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 31st, 2011, 11:56 am #8

Hi Sam

It looks like the Carius edition kit has the track pin lug in the wrong location for X7. If you look at the side shot you can see where it should be, to the left of the midpoint between the hooks. Unfortunately you cant just swap the track around, it won't fit. I think there was quite some variation in the placement of these, the early Porsche wagons had 2 of each set up on either side...

http://www.afvmodeller.com

September 2nd, 2011, 1:26 am #9

Thanks for pointing that out Donny, funny how a detail that's been staring me in the face all this time could have been missed. I guess a consequence of a speed build.

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

September 2nd, 2011, 1:35 am #10

Well worth the effort to fix them while you had the chance especially on such a well documented vehicle - otherwise it would gnaw at you for ever (especially with Don publicly shaming you at regular intervals over it like above). Looks fantastic both workmanship-wise and photo qual-wise as always...you jammy bastard...