Jagdtiger Befehls of 512 Abt. CO Walter Scherf - Part 1

Jagdtiger Befehls of 512 Abt. CO Walter Scherf - Part 1

August 16th, 2011, 12:18 am #1

Heres the initial progress on mine. I've chosen to depict a bit of an unconfirmed speculator to give me some aristic license - namely the possible mount of the overall Battalion CO Walter Scherf of s.Pz.Jg.Abt.512 in Unna April '45. No photo exists (yet) to my knowledge so I can just use others in the unit as a guide for features, camo & stowage options, as well as incorporate a few touches of my own;

I'd actually sketched a small dio idea for this vehicle a few years ago so will be good to finally make it happen;

Prior to deciding to choose Scherf's for this group build I was initially thinking a 1.Kp. vehicle "X1", "X2" or "X8" of 512 in Iserlohn and had even started the companion truck as it happened a week before we started but realised it would take me 6 months or more to do all the figures so came to my senses early and swapped for something more achievable in the short time we have;

I've thrown a partial through-the-hatch interior in for the R/O and will do the same in the F/C through the back doors;

Kit tracks, RB Barrel and swapped out the mid production kit engine hatch with the molded on AA MG base plate for a later DML one without it to allow the later position of off the hatch to be depicted;

Slaters 1.5mm casting number added to the mantlet to hint at the theorectical Fgst. no. making it vehicle 67 out of the 87?odd made;

Nicely pre-done rifling cut into the RB offering;

Old resin copies of the now long gone Cornerstone tranny and radios used with some styrene rod and sheet to fill in the gaps;

Again a through the hatch quality hatch pivot arm and ballmount MG setup;

Drilled in the missing gun platform/lower hull attachement point rod holes;

And the 6 upper hull ones;

Plus tweaked the rear plate;

Next update will be the Fighting Compartment interior...

August 16th, 2011, 8:28 am #2

Jimbo,
Awesome work as usual...still scratching my head at your interiors!..Just insane stuff.

Onward....
Ray.

August 17th, 2011, 10:16 am #3

Heres the initial progress on mine. I've chosen to depict a bit of an unconfirmed speculator to give me some aristic license - namely the possible mount of the overall Battalion CO Walter Scherf of s.Pz.Jg.Abt.512 in Unna April '45. No photo exists (yet) to my knowledge so I can just use others in the unit as a guide for features, camo & stowage options, as well as incorporate a few touches of my own;

I'd actually sketched a small dio idea for this vehicle a few years ago so will be good to finally make it happen;

Prior to deciding to choose Scherf's for this group build I was initially thinking a 1.Kp. vehicle "X1", "X2" or "X8" of 512 in Iserlohn and had even started the companion truck as it happened a week before we started but realised it would take me 6 months or more to do all the figures so came to my senses early and swapped for something more achievable in the short time we have;

I've thrown a partial through-the-hatch interior in for the R/O and will do the same in the F/C through the back doors;

Kit tracks, RB Barrel and swapped out the mid production kit engine hatch with the molded on AA MG base plate for a later DML one without it to allow the later position of off the hatch to be depicted;

Slaters 1.5mm casting number added to the mantlet to hint at the theorectical Fgst. no. making it vehicle 67 out of the 87?odd made;

Old resin copies of the now long gone Cornerstone tranny and radios used with some styrene rod and sheet to fill in the gaps;

Cracked on a bit with the fighting compartment interior over the last 24 hours starting with the missing rear firewall. While it won't be seen directly at all in this model as I'm really only doing a "through the rear hatches" slap-up 80% interior, it is still worth adding even un-detailed simply to block out any unwanted light from the engine grills into the hull and vice versa:

(specs are in mm for the imperial amongst you wanting to make one)

Next I gave the gun cradle a bit of a polish with some strip and boltheads along with adding the oddly missing Gunner's seat mount and traverse & elevation hand wheels;

Also added the CO's seat on the RHS;

Under the breech added the missing gun elevation gears made from a few bits of styrene tube, a section cut off a super glue lid (orange), and a quadrant cut out of an old plastic spur gear found in the parts box (blue);

Next the inner mantlet bag was added from a dirty big dollop of Tamiya putty worked to shape and a bit of strip and rod with a couple of gasmasks stowed on the wall;

Then knocked up the inner half of the Nahverteidingungswaffe close defence bomb chucker from some rod and strip capped off with a Grandt Line lifting eye;

Added the scalloped roof joint plates;

Then scratched up the weird little breech securing travel lock which dropped onto the floor when not in use from some styrne rod and strip, and also added the base plates of the separate 128mm shell cases stowed under the cruciform from a few Punch & Die discs;

Which when mated to the gun, looks a little like this;

Then turned my attention to the FC sidewalls courtesy of my friends at Evergreen - RHS (though still to add the CO's Befehls radio sets somewhere at this stage);

Front;

and LHS with some RB Ammo positioned to help with spacing of the bulkheads;

So am well on the way now - just need to work on the ammo racks and finish the underside of the roof, and the interior should be almost ready to paint, button up, and move on to the exterior...so stay tuned for the next exciting instalment...

August 21st, 2011, 12:28 am #4

Bit more progress on the interior over the last couple of days which is now starting to take shape;

Detailed the underside of the roof with the CO's hatch pivot bar and few Grandt Line bolt heads. Didn't bother filling the circular groove around it or sanding any knockout pins off as they'll all be invisible from any viewing angle on this one;

Banged up a couple of dodgy radios for the CO's extra command sets which just need a bit of wiring up;

Added 3 Pilsen crane mounts on the roof for a late, not final vehicle which also meant shifting the 2 rear lifting hooks inboard by c.2mm from the moulded locator slots as per Kubinka's example below and also bevelled away the rear plate in the corners for scope vision plus added some flame cutting marks on these cut edges;

Cut off the moulded on solid handle on the CO's hatch and replaced it with brass wire;

Added a set of scissors scopes from the Tristar set, cut off the blobby hatch handle and redid it in strip and rod with the proper toggley handley thingy;

Also did the inside pole mount for it again from strip and rod;

So its really just the ammo racks to finish off the inside now and its paint and seal up time...

Lastly I had been wrestling with the command aerial situation for a Befehls vehicle. Tiger IIs as we know clearly had 3 command aerials such as this one;

Yet oddly the 2 known clear pics of Befehls Jaggies from the rear don't appear to have the engine deck pot at all only the rear superstructure one - namely this still definitively unidentified Late one (though most probably from one of the companies of 512) with a thrown track in the Harz Mountains apparently somewhere near St Andreasberg...;

...and also Albert Ernst's well known "X1" from Iserlohn;

Theres is also another known Befehls of 512 seen slid down an embankment with a GI posing next to it with his .45 for a comparo, but sadly while the roof pot can just be glimpsed, the back deck is unfortunately hidden by the angle of the shot so its no help in clearing this annoying anomaly up.

Anyway based on this my theory is that perhaps on Jagdtigers the Company commander's befehls vehicles only had the 2 aerials as they really only needed the standard one for vehicle to vehicle comms within their company, and had the second pot for talking to the Battalion Net and their Battalion commander. However as I am dong this commander's vehicle itself I've opted for a third one as per the Tiger IIs on his as he would also need to be on the next net up getting situational orders from OKH or the sector/army group which the other company commanders would not be privy to. So while there is no proof of this configuration (yet) thats my reasoning, along with the known Tiger II Befehls 3 aerial set-up;

So to wit, I added an Armorscale resin engine deck aerial pot and made a spare aerial tube from a length of rod as per the TII stowage arrangement in the pic above;

I'll push on today and try to knock over the last of the insides and might even break out the paints for it too if all goes well...

August 21st, 2011, 2:43 pm #5

Got a few solid hours in today and have now virtually finished the interior building side of things - well, short of a few minor touches. Sadly she's pretty rough workmanship to get rapid progress done, so don't look too closely - but hopefully its busy enough overall to hide that awkward fact... But interesting to see how easy and quick it is to fill a void with some simple styrene sheet, strip and rod without resorting to a 100 buck resin set. So while by no means good enough for a comp level interior, its again perhaps way too much for just a "through the hatches" view too now that I sit back and look at it But one thing leads to another and before you know it its here! Ah well no harm done...

Used virtually 3 full packs of Armorscale 128mm Ammo to fill the racks as while you get 6 AP and 6 HE projectiles in a pack you oddly only get 4 shell cases? I think it should perhaps be the other way rond if anything as the cases can also be used as spent ones too;

Used all 12 cases (from the 4 in each of the 3 packets) on the outer faces of the racks and just used Evergreen Tube behind them for bulking them out. Have no real idea on the purpose of the long cylindrical items in the 2 racks on this wall or the centre one for that matter? But have guessed flare pistol rounds and stick grenades respectively - but who knows?;

All projectiles and cases now in;

Starting to look the business through the back now;

So some minor tweeks here and there to do then into the paint shop over the next few days...

August 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm #6

Subtitle - the descent into madness...

Couldn't help myself and kept on detailing instead of painting... I figured I'd gone way further than I'd originally intended to go, so a few more touches were probably worth it now.

Jon Bailey kindly supplied a fantastic clear shot of Bovington's Porsche JT during British post-war evaluation tests that showed the gunner's sight in situ which allowed me to finish that mystery area properly - beneath where it mates to the supplied half protruding out of the roof;

Next I bit the bullet and decided to do the inner face of the rear wall afterall in case I decided to leave the roof unglued down the track to show off the innards. So cut an infill plate to give the rear plate armour full thickness;

According to Jon's Brit report there were 2 fold down "paddle"-shaped seats for the 2 loaders. As I couldn't find any pics from the 3 surviving museum vehicles of them still fitted I got a little creative and guess-timated them up;

Also decided to ditch the simple light-blocker rear firewall panel I pictured in one of the early posts and do a full height one afterall and detail it up as well;

The 2 parts of the finished rear wall - upper and lower halves positioned together;

As well as with the finished roof and front superstructure plates (now with the final touch of the 5 seams added to the mantlet sealing bag and lead foil gasmask container straps);

The 2 new rear plates now dry fitted;

Overall view;

Back LHS Corner;

Back RHS Corner;

According to Jon's report the British surmised the area to the left of the LHS loader on the side wall (and just below where the aerial pot would have been mounted the rear LHS wall on a command vehicle) was oddly blank and was therefore likely to be where the Company Commander's FuG.5 Befehls radios would be housed if one was fitted out as such and with that second loader most likely doubling as the radio op for them which is what I've gone for based on that info, while also having the extra Abt. CO's set next to him for his extra command net duties;

Close up of back wall with one seat folded up and other down (so as to also be used as a step for crewmen to exit the rear hatch a little more easily);

Finally with the roof on to get the full cluttered effect even without the enormous gun and mount present;

So hopefully after a few more minor touch-ups and additions the airbrush will be finally dusted off at long last...
Last edited by jim_blackwell on August 23rd, 2011, 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 23rd, 2011, 8:46 pm #7

It's looking ace Jim!

How about lifting up one of those floor plates?

Sam

www.schwerpunkt.com.au

August 23rd, 2011, 11:25 pm #8

Subtitle - the descent into madness...

Couldn't help myself and kept on detailing instead of painting... I figured I'd gone way further than I'd originally intended to go, so a few more touches were probably worth it now.

Jon Bailey kindly supplied a fantastic clear shot of Bovington's Porsche JT during British post-war evaluation tests that showed the gunner's sight in situ which allowed me to finish that mystery area properly - beneath where it mates to the supplied half protruding out of the roof;

Next I bit the bullet and decided to do the inner face of the rear wall afterall in case I decided to leave the roof unglued down the track to show off the innards. So cut an infill plate to give the rear plate armour full thickness;

According to Jon's Brit report there were 2 fold down "paddle"-shaped seats for the 2 loaders. As I couldn't find any pics from the 3 surviving museum vehicles of them still fitted I got a little creative and guess-timated them up;

Also decided to ditch the simple light-blocker rear firewall panel I pictured in one of the early posts and do a full height one afterall and detail it up as well;

The 2 parts of the finished rear wall - upper and lower halves positioned together;

As well as with the finished roof and front superstructure plates (now with the final touch of the 5 seams added to the mantlet sealing bag and lead foil gasmask container straps);

The 2 new rear plates now dry fitted;

Overall view;

Back LHS Corner;

Back RHS Corner;

According to Jon's report the British surmised the area to the left of the LHS loader on the side wall (and just below where the aerial pot would have been mounted the rear LHS wall on a command vehicle) was oddly blank and was therefore likely to be where the Company Commander's FuG.5 Befehls radios would be housed if one was fitted out as such and with that second loader most likely doubling as the radio op for them which is what I've gone for based on that info, while also having the extra Abt. CO's set next to him for his extra command net duties;

Close up of back wall with one seat folded up and other down (so as to also be used as a step for crewmen to exit the rear hatch a little more easily);

Finally with the roof on to get the full cluttered effect even without the enormous gun and mount present;

So hopefully after a few more minor touch-ups and additions the airbrush will be finally dusted off at long last...
Amazing work Jimbo, especially in such a short time frame. Looks cramped as feck in there. When that main gun went off it must be like sitting in the front row of an AC/DC concert when Angus goes berzerk.

I assume the next logical subject to tackle for discussion is the paint scheme. With that recently surfaced colour photo of Aberdeen's JT after being abandoned, based on my intepretation of that photo, green seems to be the base colour (ie: roadwheels all appear to be green and the tank itself is mostly green as well). Based on this, any supposition that some or many of the JT's were green base as opposed to DG? There was that frontal colour shot of another one left on the roadside abandoned discovered by the Brits, but harder to see in that photo what the exact scheme was. Any theories?

AD

August 24th, 2011, 3:43 am #9

Thanks for the kind words - due to the speed of the build (9 days and counting) its pretty rough up close but all together the whole is starting to look greater than the sum of the parts with any luck. Getting some colour on it is going to be a big job in its own right now.

Yeah for the largest AFV fielded in combat during WW2 it would still have been very cramped inside when the shooting started especially all buttoned up with 6 men wedged in there. Jon's Brit eval report mentions at full traverse the one of the loaders would probably have had to crawl under the breech guard for both be on the same open side as the saftey rail reached right into each corner in this position leaving him no room at all. So despite its seeming cavernous size it was still very cosy to say the least.

FWIW they also mention c.13.5 seconds would be the expected rate of fire for a well trained crew to get a new 2 piece round off, so the deafening boom coupled with presumbably mushroom clouds of cordite trying to be sucked out by the tiny roof fan and 4 foot shell cases rolling around under foot must have been some experience alright...

As to paint I'm still a bit unconvinced about the blanket green late war base coat even on APG's 331;

To me the red primer sub-fender line is pretty clear especially in this colour pic as it is on the b&w pics of the 1.512 vehicles of Albert Ernst seen in Iserlohn (and most other ones I can think of too). So I reckon for me red primer base with a lot of green and a little bit of yellow...but always happy to be proven wrong

August 25th, 2011, 12:21 pm #10

Yeah, point well taken. The below the fender line primer is crystal clear and a perfect match for the larger brown/primer patches near the tactical number among other spots. I guess what was pushing me towards the green base theory was the sheer amount of it and the roadwheels. Looking at it again it looks like either the roadwheels were actually green and the thing was green base, or an incredibly consistent layer of Gucci dust on the entire running gear that is giving the illusion that it could have been green roadwheels.

As much as I love seeing these colour shots, sometimes they are like opening pandora's box. For more details on Pandora's box, please contact Mark Tucker ref: his recent trips to Asia.

AD
Last edited by Exige111r on August 25th, 2011, 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.