Underwriter's Lab

Underwriter's Lab

estrella

Jan 17 2008, 04:27 AM #1

Does Underwriter's Lab certify structural steel or not? I was watching the Avery&Burmass vs. Popular Mechanics assholes debate. The Pop Mechanics guys were lying thru their teeth about alot of things, but it caught my attention when they said that UL doesn't certify steel. I looked on the UL website and it seems that they do certify steel rebar but I didn't see anything about steel beams. Does anyone have any info on this?

behind
Advanced Member
behind
Advanced Member

Jan 17 2008, 03:23 PM #2

They say they did not and nist just talk some BS.

IMO it is very very likely that Kevin Ryan is right.

"Even beginning students know that UL is one of the few important organizations supporting codes and specifications because they "produce a Fire Resistance Index with hourly ratings for beams, columns, floors, roofs, walls and partitions tested in accordance with ASTM Standard E119." [2] The Federal Emergency Management Administration (FEMA) itself made this point clear in their WTC report by saying "the UL Fire Resistance Directory ...is the major reference used by architects and engineers to select designs that meet the building code requirements for fire resistance ratings." [3]"

www.911blogger.com/node/8038

jfk
Advanced Member
jfk
Advanced Member

Jan 17 2008, 03:41 PM #3

Confirmation of reply: