The Lives Of Others

Kibitzing, rabble rousing, all-round generic conversation. Any and everything. You get it.

The Lives Of Others

mid life crises
Advanced Member
mid life crises
Advanced Member

Sep 24 2007, 01:06 AM #1

Just finished watching The Lives of Others. It is a german film about life in East Germany from mid eighties to early 90's. Really good but sort of depressing also.
Mainly about life in time of the state police.
It's a worthwhile diversion.
Why?? Why?? Why!!!! Nancy Kerrigan

"I take pride in my home, I take pride in my kids, I take pride in being Mrs. Jack Butler. It means something to raise decent human beings!" from Mr. Mom

"Be careful out there amongst those Englischer." from Witness

"Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." from The Princess Bride

"Kettle's boiling!" from The Turning Point

"Fool me once, shame on- shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." from someone smokin crack

Comeoutofthecupboards
Advanced Member

Sep 24 2007, 12:09 PM #2

Depressing? No way. I can't say why it isn't because it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it. It's one of the best movies of recent times.
"This is like renting a palace then living in the cupboard under the stairs" Simon Fraser

Crazy for you!

mid life crises
Advanced Member
mid life crises
Advanced Member

Sep 24 2007, 04:12 PM #3

Comeoutofthecupboards @ Sep 24 2007, 12:09 PM wrote: Depressing? No way.  I can't say why it isn't because it will spoil it for those who haven't seen it.  It's one of the best movies of recent times.
The fact that this was a way of life for people for so long, how many people suffered for so many years isn't depressing to you?
It is to me.
The ending is great though, yes.
Why?? Why?? Why!!!! Nancy Kerrigan

"I take pride in my home, I take pride in my kids, I take pride in being Mrs. Jack Butler. It means something to raise decent human beings!" from Mr. Mom

"Be careful out there amongst those Englischer." from Witness

"Inconceivable". "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." from The Princess Bride

"Kettle's boiling!" from The Turning Point

"Fool me once, shame on- shame on you. Fool me, you can't get fooled again." from someone smokin crack

Confirmation of reply: