Would you accept a donor with a high BMI?

Would you accept a donor with a high BMI?

may2806
may2806

March 17th, 2011, 6:41 pm #1

Hi ladies, I'm doing a shared cycle and a proven donor was offered to me who's already been matched with another couple. She's great except that she is 5'5" and 192 pounds - she actually used to weigh more and has been losing weight. With the BMI calculator she's in the obese range. It doesn't seem to be affecting her hormonally, no other health issues and her previous cycle produced twins, but I'm worried about the possible genetic link with weight in regard to what my child might inherit. The donor coordinator said that it's hard to tell if its genetics or just learned eating habits.

What do you think?

Anon
Anon

March 17th, 2011, 6:49 pm #2

I would not.

Kacee
Kacee

March 17th, 2011, 6:51 pm #3

Hi ladies, I'm doing a shared cycle and a proven donor was offered to me who's already been matched with another couple. She's great except that she is 5'5" and 192 pounds - she actually used to weigh more and has been losing weight. With the BMI calculator she's in the obese range. It doesn't seem to be affecting her hormonally, no other health issues and her previous cycle produced twins, but I'm worried about the possible genetic link with weight in regard to what my child might inherit. The donor coordinator said that it's hard to tell if its genetics or just learned eating habits.

What do you think?
nt

Anon
Anon

March 17th, 2011, 6:52 pm #4

What do you think?
There are many reasons, including health issues. But I recently read an article that discussed how overweight/obese children are more likely to be bullied in school. I would not want to set my child up for that.

Also, 5'5 and 192 lbs I believe is classified as obese.

Orchid
Orchid

March 17th, 2011, 7:30 pm #5

What do you think?
just because you don't know if the obesity is genetic and if you will get that gene.

It's an additional risk to your child but certainly no guarantee of anything.

March 17th, 2011, 7:32 pm #6

It depends on everything else about the person. If the person were smart, happy, well-adjusted, great match, I would.

Nothing is a deal-breaker, to me, except genetic diseases. You have to look at the whole package.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 17th, 2011, 8:28 pm #7

What do you think?
I'm surprised she would be listed as a donor. Obesity can be genetic and I would not want to risk burdening a child with that disease. Lots of reasons for obesity of course but that is a risk factor I would avoid in the donor.

March 17th, 2011, 8:37 pm #8

What do you think?
Half my family has weight problems and half does not. I lost my father to heart disease, and many many others (uncle dead at age 42, and more).

I believe the idea of behavior is actually primarily genetic -- that the genetic profile propels a metabolic condition which increases the inflammatory condition of the body and causes an increase in weight.

My sister is overweight and suffers health issues and self-esteem issues.

I, on the other hand, am healthy and active but have never dieted and remain slim and in good health (except the ovaries), I don't feel like I work so much harder at staying slim. I have lucky genes. Also, I never craved foods that my sister craved, and I truly think that part of her craving was a metabolic genetic predisposition.

Longwinded way of saying, no I would not want to take the chance.

Malibugirl662
Malibugirl662

March 17th, 2011, 9:34 pm #9

My mother was obese. Struggled with weight her whole life. Died of heart attack in her 50s - weight def played an issue in her death.

I watch my Dad struggle with weight; with high blood pressure, diabetes and difficulty getting around. It breaks my heart.

Having obese parents, and having struggled with weight in my 30s, I've become militant about health and weight to an unhealthy degree.

I think obesity affects self esteem and comes with too many secondary issues...and there are so many donors out there.

just my 0.02 cents

Malibugirl662

March 17th, 2011, 10:32 pm #10

What do you think?
because of genetic illness on my DH's side, which can be aggravated by being overweight. Not that he himself has ever been overweight, nor any of his family, but because of the particular illness he was asked to keep within a normal healthy weight range, so for this reason weight it is rather important for us.