Which Should Come First, Clinic or Donor?

Which Should Come First, Clinic or Donor?

hopefulindelaware
hopefulindelaware

August 18th, 2011, 6:45 pm #1

Hi Everyone,

Just got off the phone with a guy at a donor egg agency (Extraordinary Conceptions) to express interest in a donor and ask him questions. Regardless of whether I end up liking/using his agency, he did say one thing that struck me: He said deciding which clinic we use should be our first priority and finding a donor second. Would you all agree with that? Get the clinic nailed down first before we spend time scouring donor sites?

Also, he thought a clinic/doctor should do a minimum of 5-7 DEs per month to be considered. Thoughts?

(You may remember I'm considering looking into other clinics, instead of using our fertility doctor here in Delaware, with whom we have a great relationship, but he did 10 total in 2009, not sure about 2010.)

Thanks!

LizLA
LizLA

August 18th, 2011, 7:23 pm #2

clinic's lab is not that good.....

I remember talking to EC, I did like him and his donors but end up with one from clinic's pool.

GL

Zaytune
Zaytune

August 18th, 2011, 7:55 pm #3

Hi Everyone,

Just got off the phone with a guy at a donor egg agency (Extraordinary Conceptions) to express interest in a donor and ask him questions. Regardless of whether I end up liking/using his agency, he did say one thing that struck me: He said deciding which clinic we use should be our first priority and finding a donor second. Would you all agree with that? Get the clinic nailed down first before we spend time scouring donor sites?

Also, he thought a clinic/doctor should do a minimum of 5-7 DEs per month to be considered. Thoughts?

(You may remember I'm considering looking into other clinics, instead of using our fertility doctor here in Delaware, with whom we have a great relationship, but he did 10 total in 2009, not sure about 2010.)

Thanks!
I think either way could work . For us I already was at an excellent clinic ( CCRM ) and I wanted to cycle with them . At the same time with my ethnicity ( hard to find ) I was willing to travel to the donor if she didnt want to travel to our clinic . So each time we had a potential donor , I also would look up potential clinics with good stats in her area . For instance SDFC in california has good stats . Also I would like to mention , if you find a donor you like and you look up potential clinics in CDC/SART website , make sure you look closely at FET success rates . A particular clinic may have good fresh success rates but not so good FET success rates ( difference in freezing techniques ? ). That would matter in case the fresh didnt work or for trying for a sibling later . Also wanted to mention , I had called extraordinary conceptions and they do not update their donors . A donor that I liked wasnt available and I had a feeling it had been a while since she had registered with them . Also when you google extraordinary conceptions something about a lawsuit comes up . Also the guy who I talked to , his wife is the agency lawyer . All in all I wasnt comfortable with them . If this particular donor does not work out , there is a list of agencies on the ASRM website ( american society of reproductive medicine ) . It lists agencies according to states . That is how I found my donor . Good luck .

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 18th, 2011, 7:55 pm #4

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
I like to see a good track record in terms of doing lots of cycles AND great stats. Beware clinics with big marketing schemes but poor stats in the end.

If you are looking at donor agencies all over the country, the donor will likely have to travel, it isn't unusual for donors to travel cross country. If you really do not want the expense of donor travel, then you have to know the clinic in advance anyway in order to pick one local.

You may find the clinic has their own donor pool of local women to choose from, saving you the expense of an agency fee and pre-screening.

hopefulindelaware
hopefulindelaware

August 18th, 2011, 8:16 pm #5

I think either way could work . For us I already was at an excellent clinic ( CCRM ) and I wanted to cycle with them . At the same time with my ethnicity ( hard to find ) I was willing to travel to the donor if she didnt want to travel to our clinic . So each time we had a potential donor , I also would look up potential clinics with good stats in her area . For instance SDFC in california has good stats . Also I would like to mention , if you find a donor you like and you look up potential clinics in CDC/SART website , make sure you look closely at FET success rates . A particular clinic may have good fresh success rates but not so good FET success rates ( difference in freezing techniques ? ). That would matter in case the fresh didnt work or for trying for a sibling later . Also wanted to mention , I had called extraordinary conceptions and they do not update their donors . A donor that I liked wasnt available and I had a feeling it had been a while since she had registered with them . Also when you google extraordinary conceptions something about a lawsuit comes up . Also the guy who I talked to , his wife is the agency lawyer . All in all I wasnt comfortable with them . If this particular donor does not work out , there is a list of agencies on the ASRM website ( american society of reproductive medicine ) . It lists agencies according to states . That is how I found my donor . Good luck .
OMG! Thanks for mentioning that lawsuit against EC, I just googled it. Holy camole.

And thanks for your other helpful suggestions, too!

Anon
Anon

August 18th, 2011, 11:50 pm #6

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
With all due respect to your Delaware clinic and RE, DE is a significant investment and you should really consider using a clinic that does more DE cycles. I'd say at least 75-100/year. You are so close to DC, Philly, NJ and NY that have clinics that are probably much more experienced and successful, plus they may have a clinic pool that appeals to you. If not, by all means, use an agency - most are agreeable to travel.

Good luck with whatever course you decide.

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

August 19th, 2011, 1:15 am #7

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
donor follows.

Our RE told us what to look for in a donor. He had very strict criteria. Our interests were aligned in that we both wanted success. An agency does not guarantee success - they want to close a deal. That doesn't make agencies awful entities - but your interests are not fully aligned.

There is so much more than goes into selecting a donor than simple profile information. Age, cycle history, donor experience, parental status, health, genetic testing, and various other things go into selecting a donor. A good RE will keep you from making a purely emotional decision. Our RE vetoed several potential donors. Fast forward...we got pregnant on our first attempt.

A clinic that does 5-7 transfers/month is beyond low.

Consider the following in selecting a clinic:

1. Do they vitrify or slow-freeze leftover embryos? Vitrification is a quick-freeze method that results in pregnancy rates that are comparable to fresh transfers. The conventional, slow freeze method results in crystals that can damage the embies when being thawed.

2. Genetic testing: You can have genetic testing done on the embryos. There are two methods, CGH and PGD. PGD is the older method - a selct number of chromosome pairs are tested for abnormailities. CGH tests all 23 pairs. We did CGH - only 55% of the embryos were genetically healthy - and this was with a 28 year old, proven donor.

You can take the right donor to the wrong clinic. Or you can go to the right clinic and let their expertise help you select the right donor. We had one donor nixed because she had massive cysts on her ovaries. Another RE signed off on her - but our RE said no. He nixed another one because he'd worked with her previously and she was unreliable. So, you see...you cannot discern very much from a profile. Get the right clinic first.

We loved our agency, BTW.

Minniet
Minniet

August 19th, 2011, 1:18 am #8

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

Minniet
Minniet

August 19th, 2011, 1:19 am #9

Yikes. I'd like to see.

hopefulindelaware
hopefulindelaware

August 19th, 2011, 1:15 pm #10

http://unitedstatessurrogacy.com/attorn ... surrogacy/

This lawsuit involves their surrogacy program, not DE, but still... It is from the side of the plaintiffs, I didn't see any response from EC.