What would you do? (OE MENTS)

What would you do? (OE MENTS)

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 12:52 pm #1

We have IF coverage for 3 cycles of IVF per live birth that started this January. I have not gotten any cycles approved yet - but that's what is supposed to be covered - up to 100K. I am pretty sure DE is not covered.

We have been doing this dance since 2004 - and had several losses, but do have 2 OE children. 3 failed HIGH STIMM IVF under our belt and some recent losses - seems to be biochemical.

I just want a baby - so I can close this chapter. I am grappling with just calling it foul and just going to DE somewhere so I can get a baby - but then I have coverage - shouldn't I at least use it since I am paying for it and give it once last try?

I am just torn. Would I prefer a genetically linked sibling of course I would - but if adoption wasn't such a stress event, we would pursue that - so in my mind what is the big difference? I used to think if we went this route I would prefer a Donor embie so I would not have any jealousy that DH was linked and I was not - but I don't really feel that way anymore. Its more important to complete our family.

I am 38 if that makes any difference.

February 21st, 2013, 3:06 pm #2

I'm not going to comment on the WWYD question as I started too late to use my own eggs, and didn't even really know DE was an option till my sister encouraged me to look into IF treatment when I was despairing of the difficulty of adoption. It might help other readers though if you clarified:

-Were your two OE kids conceived naturally?

-Were they conceived before 2004 or in the course of your ttc at that point?

-What is your RE telling you?

-Have you done testing for immune issues, etc.?

I will comment on your donor embryo thoughts, though. I was in a severe domestic crisis and as far as I knew was going to be a single mom, and that's the main reason I used DS. Unfortunately, it was also true that my DH's SA was far from glowing, his side of the family has a worrisome medical history like mine, he was over 50, and we might well have ended up using DS anyway. I really wish one of us had a genetic connection to the kids, though, and I really think that longing would transcend jealousy. I considered donor embryo, but the waiting lists were long at that time, at least, and understanding better the chances of success with dembie, I think I took the right route.

GL!

Maggie (in VA)

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 3:14 pm #3

Were your two OE kids conceived naturally?
2005 - Clomid, 5 rounds.
2009 - EPP before IVF round - took 3 months off from IVF treatment and took supplements amd nearly to the 90 days got pg.
2011/2012 - recent bio chemicals.

-Were they conceived before 2004 or in the course of your ttc at that point?

-What is your RE telling you? Looking for a new one right now. But getting the age speech.

-Have you done testing for immune issues, etc.? Yes, Beers came back slight issues, but 3 months later Coulam testing showed all normal, but I do have clotting issues and POSSIBLY Lupus or some other similar AI issue.

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 3:21 pm #4

DH is 39 and has what has been deemed super swimmers as of Sept 12- the issues lie with me and my issues.

February 21st, 2013, 4:53 pm #5

We have IF coverage for 3 cycles of IVF per live birth that started this January. I have not gotten any cycles approved yet - but that's what is supposed to be covered - up to 100K. I am pretty sure DE is not covered.

We have been doing this dance since 2004 - and had several losses, but do have 2 OE children. 3 failed HIGH STIMM IVF under our belt and some recent losses - seems to be biochemical.

I just want a baby - so I can close this chapter. I am grappling with just calling it foul and just going to DE somewhere so I can get a baby - but then I have coverage - shouldn't I at least use it since I am paying for it and give it once last try?

I am just torn. Would I prefer a genetically linked sibling of course I would - but if adoption wasn't such a stress event, we would pursue that - so in my mind what is the big difference? I used to think if we went this route I would prefer a Donor embie so I would not have any jealousy that DH was linked and I was not - but I don't really feel that way anymore. Its more important to complete our family.

If I were you, a little younger than I am now, with health insurance, and two successful pregnancies behind me, I would probably hang in there and try with OE until I exhausted my benefits. This may be impossible to do because emotionally it's just so hard to deal with failed cycles and all the heartbreak that comes with it.

What is your AFC, FSH, and AMH? Have you responded well to stims? How many eggs did they retrieve with the EPP?

Julie
Julie

February 21st, 2013, 5:23 pm #6

I had great IF coverage once upon a time. I did not get married until 43 but company had no age limits on its great IF/IVF coverage. I had $10,000 in IF coverage (could be used for IUIs etc) plus $100,000 in IVF coverage or 3 tries -- whichever came first. I had little issue with DE from the start but since I had such good coverage we decided to try 3 IUIs and then at least one OE IVF. All the IUIs were BFN so at the ripe old age of 44 I did my first high stim IVF. We erred on the high side and ordered more than we probably needed on the meds -- that cost $9,000 -- gulp -- plus about $15-$20K for the rest of it -- so we were close to $30K for that one cycle. We made sure to get all of the meds approved in writing before starting this since they were a tricky part -- if they are coded wrong (IF vs. IVF) they might not get approved. Anyway, I got 6 eggs and we tx 4 on day 2 but BFN. We decided to go to DE at that point given my age and just the stress factor. We did have another $70K left in lifetime coverage but we would have had to cycle right away since they were changing the age limit to 45 and I would no longer qualify plus since there were 2 kinds of coverage and I had already used $10K in IF coverage, the process on the $9K in meds got cumbersome -- they were trying to make me pay for them even though we had them approved from the start. We just were not up for the stress given the likelihood of no success at my then age -- 44 almost 45.

I think it is important to ask how old you are. If you are an AMA, high stim IVF is not the best for us. I did not have a high FSH but I simply had lower quality eggs left. High-stim is really not good for the eggs. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would consider New H*pe or Life. Life was not around when I was going through this -- it only opened in 2010 and is not in SART yet BUT the word of mouth is that with older women its low stim approach, culturing etc is resulting in more blasts. You can read more about this on the High FSH page -- not sure if you normally post there. New Hope has been around longer and the are plusses and minuses there but if you have coverage that might be a good place to go. I am not sure if they take insurance, with that being another issue. I am very happy to have my DD now and would not change her for the world but I wish I had looked into low-stim a bit more when I was trying with my OE and had coverage. That said, by the end of my OE BFN cycle, I simply wanted to do what was the best to get me my baby! I would say only to keep trying with OE if you can deal with stress of 3 or more cycles.

Good luck with your decision.

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 5:52 pm #7

If I were you, a little younger than I am now, with health insurance, and two successful pregnancies behind me, I would probably hang in there and try with OE until I exhausted my benefits. This may be impossible to do because emotionally it's just so hard to deal with failed cycles and all the heartbreak that comes with it.

What is your AFC, FSH, and AMH? Have you responded well to stims? How many eggs did they retrieve with the EPP?

My AFC is 4-5, because they said they can only visualize one ovary do to previous surgery. Last FSH was 3.9, but highest after a SUPER high stimm IVF was 9.3. I have not measured the AMH, just too scared to find out frankly.
Each IVF I got 4, 4, and last 7 - but was not making any blasts so did 3DT. I was on super high stims all 3 times.

For the EPP, we got pg on our own.

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 5:55 pm #8

I had great IF coverage once upon a time. I did not get married until 43 but company had no age limits on its great IF/IVF coverage. I had $10,000 in IF coverage (could be used for IUIs etc) plus $100,000 in IVF coverage or 3 tries -- whichever came first. I had little issue with DE from the start but since I had such good coverage we decided to try 3 IUIs and then at least one OE IVF. All the IUIs were BFN so at the ripe old age of 44 I did my first high stim IVF. We erred on the high side and ordered more than we probably needed on the meds -- that cost $9,000 -- gulp -- plus about $15-$20K for the rest of it -- so we were close to $30K for that one cycle. We made sure to get all of the meds approved in writing before starting this since they were a tricky part -- if they are coded wrong (IF vs. IVF) they might not get approved. Anyway, I got 6 eggs and we tx 4 on day 2 but BFN. We decided to go to DE at that point given my age and just the stress factor. We did have another $70K left in lifetime coverage but we would have had to cycle right away since they were changing the age limit to 45 and I would no longer qualify plus since there were 2 kinds of coverage and I had already used $10K in IF coverage, the process on the $9K in meds got cumbersome -- they were trying to make me pay for them even though we had them approved from the start. We just were not up for the stress given the likelihood of no success at my then age -- 44 almost 45.

I think it is important to ask how old you are. If you are an AMA, high stim IVF is not the best for us. I did not have a high FSH but I simply had lower quality eggs left. High-stim is really not good for the eggs. If I knew then what I know now, I probably would consider New H*pe or Life. Life was not around when I was going through this -- it only opened in 2010 and is not in SART yet BUT the word of mouth is that with older women its low stim approach, culturing etc is resulting in more blasts. You can read more about this on the High FSH page -- not sure if you normally post there. New Hope has been around longer and the are plusses and minuses there but if you have coverage that might be a good place to go. I am not sure if they take insurance, with that being another issue. I am very happy to have my DD now and would not change her for the world but I wish I had looked into low-stim a bit more when I was trying with my OE and had coverage. That said, by the end of my OE BFN cycle, I simply wanted to do what was the best to get me my baby! I would say only to keep trying with OE if you can deal with stress of 3 or more cycles.

Good luck with your decision.
I am currently 38 and all my IVFs were HIGH HIGH stimm - like 900 ui of meds a day.

Anonymous Lurker
Anonymous Lurker

February 21st, 2013, 6:06 pm #9

try to use the coverage since we are paying for it- we changed insurance just to have it this year and are paying about $8K more than before for that.

Since I am 38, I guess DE is still an option in 6-9 months - and that's not pushing me out too far.

But it sure is a hard to decision when I was told I could cycle in April at a Czech clinic....

julie
julie

February 21st, 2013, 6:10 pm #10

I think I would try that approach if that is the way you go. Good luck