What testing do I need?

What testing do I need?

Anna
Anna

May 21st, 2011, 7:32 pm #1

Is a saline ultrasound a routine test for someone undergoing a donor egg or donor embryo cycle? The RE never recommended it when we were considering OE IVF. I had the HSG done. Do I need the saline ultrasound done in addition to the HSG?

I've had all of the infectious disease testing done in anticipation of OE IVF.

Is there anyone else that is necessary?

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 21st, 2011, 9:38 pm #2

I also needed a complete physical, current pap,current mammogram, infectious disease b/w....and at my clinic if you are over 45 you also need do a cardiac stress test....

Anonymous
Anonymous

May 21st, 2011, 10:07 pm #3

Is a saline ultrasound a routine test for someone undergoing a donor egg or donor embryo cycle? The RE never recommended it when we were considering OE IVF. I had the HSG done. Do I need the saline ultrasound done in addition to the HSG?

Saline sonogram, current infectious disease testing for husband and wife, pap and mammo before a DE cycle (this was for under 40).

Anna
Anna

May 21st, 2011, 10:13 pm #4

I also needed a complete physical, current pap,current mammogram, infectious disease b/w....and at my clinic if you are over 45 you also need do a cardiac stress test....
I've run into issues with my insurance company regarding the fertility coverage due to my high FSH so if this is done by my RE and coded as due to infertility, it might not be covered. Can an OB do it and could it be done for anything other than infertility?

Is it similar to a vaginal ultrasound? Or more like the HSG?

Dee
Dee

May 21st, 2011, 10:43 pm #5

has always refused to code things differently. He said he had to code things for infertility, or else it was insurance fraud.

I had my ultrasound done at a hospital.

Dee
Dee

May 21st, 2011, 10:46 pm #6

I had my pap smear done at Planned Parenthood, because my OB/GYN was going to code it as infertility related, since he knew I needed it done prior to an IVF cycle.

Anna
Anna

May 21st, 2011, 11:06 pm #7

Huh???? How could a pap smear possibly be considered to be infertility related? Even if it's required by your RE before an IVF cycle, it's still considered to be a routine test with merit even if you're not an infertility patient.

Anna
Anna

May 21st, 2011, 11:11 pm #8

has always refused to code things differently. He said he had to code things for infertility, or else it was insurance fraud.

I had my ultrasound done at a hospital.
Your OB is probably right although I think there's a fine line between what is infertility related and what is routine testing in some cases. For example, the saline ultrasound be used to detect scar tissue from my previous c-section. So if my intent in looking for scar tissue is because I want to conceive it's infertility related and not covered but if my intent is because I have residual numbness it's covered. Bizarre.

What if I'm at my OB/Gyn's office and I ask for advice about how to conceive? Is that now infertility related and potentially not covered?

But this demonstrates how ridiculous it is that infertility is treated differently than other conditions.

My first RE coded everything as "menstrual disorder" so none of it was applied to my infertility max. I'm not sure why he did it given that I have infertility coverage and this is a mandate state so most of his patients would also have coverage.

Dee
Dee

May 22nd, 2011, 12:30 am #9

Huh???? How could a pap smear possibly be considered to be infertility related? Even if it's required by your RE before an IVF cycle, it's still considered to be a routine test with merit even if you're not an infertility patient.
The OB said any testing my IVF clinic required, would be coded as infertility-related.

He did my STD testing, and coded this as infertility-related also. There is some hypocrisy here, because in past visits he insisted on doing certain STD testing, even though I didn't feel I needed it.

For example, a while back he insisted on testing me for HPV, I said I didn't feel I needed it, but he said "anyone can have HPV!". So I agreed to the test. However, when I gave him the list of STD tests my RE wanted me to have, I said "well, couldn't anyone have these STDs, shouldn't I be tested for them anyway?So you could just code it as regular testing" And he said "no, its infertility related and I must code it that way". Total hypocrisy.

Malory
Malory

May 22nd, 2011, 12:35 am #10

I've run into issues with my insurance company regarding the fertility coverage due to my high FSH so if this is done by my RE and coded as due to infertility, it might not be covered. Can an OB do it and could it be done for anything other than infertility?

Is it similar to a vaginal ultrasound? Or more like the HSG?
NOT as bad as HSG at all for me. I read about saline u/s on line and upon reading about the pain that some women experienced lived in GREAT FEAR of having it done.

MY ob/gyn assured me that women with very painful periods sometimes have a hard time with this test (I don't and didn't). I always tell women that the HSG is HORRIBLE for about a minute. Just when you want to say you can't take it, it's over.

I would compare the saline u/s to an IUI - NBD (no big deal). MUCH easier for me than the dye test....

Good luck,
Malory