uncomfortable sleep

uncomfortable sleep

March 16th, 2012, 10:53 pm #1

Our LO still co-sleeps, which started at about 4 months due to his reflux. The reflux is still there, but resolving, but he seems so uncomfortable many nights. . He rolls around, wakes often crying, sits up and collapses on us, etc...We are not sure why this is. He has finally gone to having only one bottle at night (he has needed the extra bottles due to feeding issues) and we so looked forward to some good nights of sleep. He hates his crib with a passion so we are planning on weaning to a toddler bed when he is ready. he just seems so uncomfortable and it keeps us awake. Any thoughts?

March 17th, 2012, 2:00 am #2

Sarah had horrid reflux in the NICU...she was grunting and miserable. Jonathan had reflux too but not so bad. They were put on...what was it? Prevacid? Zantac? I think J started on Prevacid and S switched from Zantac to Prevacid. When they came home at almost 4 weeks adjusted, I started daily l reuteri - maybe a half tsp each? - and weaned them off the medicine over a few weeks. I don't recall how long we used it but we never had to go back on the anti-reflux meds. It worked miracles. Here is one study on l reuteri:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21114493

March 17th, 2012, 2:19 am #3

Our LO still co-sleeps, which started at about 4 months due to his reflux. The reflux is still there, but resolving, but he seems so uncomfortable many nights. . He rolls around, wakes often crying, sits up and collapses on us, etc...We are not sure why this is. He has finally gone to having only one bottle at night (he has needed the extra bottles due to feeding issues) and we so looked forward to some good nights of sleep. He hates his crib with a passion so we are planning on weaning to a toddler bed when he is ready. he just seems so uncomfortable and it keeps us awake. Any thoughts?

Hi ya,
My husband is sleeping in with our son right now. R is in the cot and P is in the bed. (This is because P snores and I can't sleep).
Anyway, he tells me that R roams around the cot all night and wakes and sits up and does this and that. I think it maybe pretty much normal for them to do this.
best, THK

March 17th, 2012, 2:07 pm #4

Sarah had horrid reflux in the NICU...she was grunting and miserable. Jonathan had reflux too but not so bad. They were put on...what was it? Prevacid? Zantac? I think J started on Prevacid and S switched from Zantac to Prevacid. When they came home at almost 4 weeks adjusted, I started daily l reuteri - maybe a half tsp each? - and weaned them off the medicine over a few weeks. I don't recall how long we used it but we never had to go back on the anti-reflux meds. It worked miracles. Here is one study on l reuteri:http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21114493

We tried Reuteri, but he reacted to something in the formulation. I think it had traces of milk or soy or corn. It may be worth trying again now that he is older, though. Thanks! Glad your LO's are doing well!

March 17th, 2012, 2:08 pm #5

Hi ya,
My husband is sleeping in with our son right now. R is in the cot and P is in the bed. (This is because P snores and I can't sleep).
Anyway, he tells me that R roams around the cot all night and wakes and sits up and does this and that. I think it maybe pretty much normal for them to do this.
best, THK
I wonder if I am just really sensitive to his movements, as he seems to sleep better with DH. I think maybe DH just doesn't notice his rockin' and rollin' quite as much.

Glad R is doing better!

March 18th, 2012, 1:45 am #6

Hi Greatful,
If you hear your LO rustling about at night so much that it wakes you then you check on him then wear earplugs. It cuts out the little squeaks and rustling but you can still hear crying (oh year) and so on.
I still wear earplugs. Now... I can't sleep without them even if I am not in the same room as everyone else, take it easy, best, THK