Trying to decide what to do

Trying to decide what to do

Cee
Cee

August 3rd, 2011, 2:26 pm #1

There are so many options and it's overwhelming! I'd love your input if you would like to share it.

I won't be cycling until the end of this year/beginning of next. Until then I am probably going to do IUIs just because I have the time and 3 vials of DS to use as well, that I don't want to pay storage fees on for the next 4 months. We are doing DE & DS as DH has sertoli-cell syndrome and products zero sperm.

Since we have to use DE & DS anyway, should we look into DEmbryos? So far we've looked at CNY and also cycling in the Czech Republic. Saw someone on here mention a California DEmbryo program and thought about that too.

Here is my constraint: financially we can afford probably around $14,000 for one cycle, including travel/meds. I don't want to finance anything. This money wouldn't be available to us until late December (end of year bonus for work), so that's why the timing is probably beginning of next year. I like guarantee programs but they look like they're too expensive for us.

Also, in this process can you use FSA accounts? Like mine maxes out at $5k - so could I use that and then pay the rest in cash?

I know I haven't really asked any specific questions here, I'm just looking for input really. Any advice is appreciated, as well as any suggestions.

Thanks!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 3rd, 2011, 2:30 pm #2

I would go with Califoria conceptions donor embryo three tries refund program contact now to get testing done etc I do not think you send money until you cycle $10,000 perfect for you.

August 3rd, 2011, 2:34 pm #3

There are so many options and it's overwhelming! I'd love your input if you would like to share it.

I won't be cycling until the end of this year/beginning of next. Until then I am probably going to do IUIs just because I have the time and 3 vials of DS to use as well, that I don't want to pay storage fees on for the next 4 months. We are doing DE & DS as DH has sertoli-cell syndrome and products zero sperm.

Since we have to use DE & DS anyway, should we look into DEmbryos? So far we've looked at CNY and also cycling in the Czech Republic. Saw someone on here mention a California DEmbryo program and thought about that too.

Here is my constraint: financially we can afford probably around $14,000 for one cycle, including travel/meds. I don't want to finance anything. This money wouldn't be available to us until late December (end of year bonus for work), so that's why the timing is probably beginning of next year. I like guarantee programs but they look like they're too expensive for us.

Also, in this process can you use FSA accounts? Like mine maxes out at $5k - so could I use that and then pay the rest in cash?

I know I haven't really asked any specific questions here, I'm just looking for input really. Any advice is appreciated, as well as any suggestions.

Thanks!
I cycled in New Mexico http://www.infertility-ivf.com/). My total cost including local monitoring, meds, and travel including for mock cycle was about $8000. I succeeded with 13.4 year old twice-frozen embryos and had twins and can wholeheartedly recommend them. I had no pics and limited physical descriptions for this particular profile but if you'd like, you can see one of my little ones in a very recent post on the pink board.

August 3rd, 2011, 2:36 pm #4

I would go with Califoria conceptions donor embryo three tries refund program contact now to get testing done etc I do not think you send money until you cycle $10,000 perfect for you.
I loved that my embies were created out of a family's love and not the embryologist's or RE's desire to produce marketable embryos. Maybe I am casting aspersions where they do not belong but this does not sit quite right with me.

August 3rd, 2011, 2:46 pm #5

Thanks!
list, your actual frozen embryo transfer, monitoring and meds. If your insurance will cover monitoring, BW and meds, we are talking a little of $3,000.

Leeba
Leeba

August 3rd, 2011, 2:50 pm #6

Thanks!
I can't address the question about donor embryos, but some here have been thrilled with this option.

But what I will say is that there's a benefit to having all your expenses lumped into one year. You can use your FSA for the first $5K, then after that you may still be able to deduct your medical expenses, the part that exceeds 7.5% of your AGI. All donor expenses are deductible, and also any travel you do for your cycle.

In our case, our first cycle turned out to be a bust and we had to do a whole new cycle. By doing it in the same year as the first one, we saved something like $5K (vs waiting until the following year) because it was totally deductible rather than having to clear the 7.5% hurdle again.

Also, pregnancy and birth have some medical expenses, too, so those will be deductible once you've cleared the 7.5% hurdle.

Another point to note - FSA and medical tax deduction work differently. FSA applies to services provided in that year. Tax return deductibility applies to services PAID for in that year. So, when you do a cycle, your clinc usually requires you to prepay a month or two in advance. In other words, if you want to cycle in January, you may need to prepay in December. See if you can get your clinic to cooperate with writing your receipts so that you pay in January.

Cee
Cee

August 3rd, 2011, 2:55 pm #7

I cycled in New Mexico http://www.infertility-ivf.com/). My total cost including local monitoring, meds, and travel including for mock cycle was about $8000. I succeeded with 13.4 year old twice-frozen embryos and had twins and can wholeheartedly recommend them. I had no pics and limited physical descriptions for this particular profile but if you'd like, you can see one of my little ones in a very recent post on the pink board.
So I will do that, thanks for the link. Was there a long wait for the DEmbryos?

Cee
Cee

August 3rd, 2011, 2:57 pm #8

list, your actual frozen embryo transfer, monitoring and meds. If your insurance will cover monitoring, BW and meds, we are talking a little of $3,000.
Cooper is actually who I am cycling with right now (OOT) with my OE, haven't checked into their DEmbryo program but will do, thanks.

August 3rd, 2011, 2:59 pm #9

So I will do that, thanks for the link. Was there a long wait for the DEmbryos?
though there were very few nonhispanic caucasian profiles if that is something you are looking for. Fortunately for me, one of those profiles was my "the hills are alive with the sound of music" profile.

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 3rd, 2011, 3:00 pm #10

I loved that my embies were created out of a family's love and not the embryologist's or RE's desire to produce marketable embryos. Maybe I am casting aspersions where they do not belong but this does not sit quite right with me.
Not any different then picking egg donor and sperm donor yourself to make embryos also they will try to line up 3 or 4 couples for a fresh transfer if all agree on donor choices. It fills a need for a great price and refund .