Transfer today - one vs. two??!

Transfer today - one vs. two??!

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

May 30th, 2012, 2:06 pm #1

Our transfer is today - very excited (and nervous!). Based on our fert report from yesterday (Day 4), I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether to transfer one or two. My preference is one, but I'm not sure these numbers are looking good enough to rely on frozen as a "backup." Transfer is in 2 hours - thoughts??

Day 4 fert report:
2@7-8c; 4@morula; 2@very early blast; 4@degenerate & discarded

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 30th, 2012, 2:43 pm #2

What % of those who succeed have multiples? I'd consider these things very carefully when deciding.

Though after giving birth at 25 weeks to twins due to incompetent cervix, my inclination is to advise to transfer one only (though honestly seeing the clinic stats could sway my opinion to considering two). There is nothing quite like watching your babies endure suffering day after day, week after week, until finally four months later you get to bring them home, and knowing that a different decision at transfer would very likely have changed the outcome to a much happier one.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 30th, 2012, 2:43 pm #3

nt

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 30th, 2012, 2:44 pm #4

Our transfer is today - very excited (and nervous!). Based on our fert report from yesterday (Day 4), I'm having a hard time trying to figure out whether to transfer one or two. My preference is one, but I'm not sure these numbers are looking good enough to rely on frozen as a "backup." Transfer is in 2 hours - thoughts??

Day 4 fert report:
2@7-8c; 4@morula; 2@very early blast; 4@degenerate & discarded
Hi, very exciting!!! It looks like you have 6 great embies as of now!!! The four morulas and the two early blasts should look very good today. They were just where they should have been on day 4. The early blasts are probably expanded today, maybe even hatched and the morulas are likely expanded. Bottom line, if you have two expanded blasts today or better, I would only put back two if you are okay with the possibility of twins. I bet you get 6 good embies out of this so you should have some available for freeze.Good luck.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

May 30th, 2012, 2:53 pm #5

What % of those who succeed have multiples? I'd consider these things very carefully when deciding.

Though after giving birth at 25 weeks to twins due to incompetent cervix, my inclination is to advise to transfer one only (though honestly seeing the clinic stats could sway my opinion to considering two). There is nothing quite like watching your babies endure suffering day after day, week after week, until finally four months later you get to bring them home, and knowing that a different decision at transfer would very likely have changed the outcome to a much happier one.
For my clinic, transfer success with fresh cycle is a little over 60 percent; about 45 percent for frozen. I would say my RE generally prefers to transfer two, of which about 30 percent result in multiples. However, he has said it is my choice.

So sorry to hear about your challenges, though.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

May 30th, 2012, 2:55 pm #6

Hi, very exciting!!! It looks like you have 6 great embies as of now!!! The four morulas and the two early blasts should look very good today. They were just where they should have been on day 4. The early blasts are probably expanded today, maybe even hatched and the morulas are likely expanded. Bottom line, if you have two expanded blasts today or better, I would only put back two if you are okay with the possibility of twins. I bet you get 6 good embies out of this so you should have some available for freeze.Good luck.
If I have two expanded blasts today, do you think I would be OK just transferring one??

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 30th, 2012, 3:01 pm #7

I don't know the answer to that. What I think we know I'd that transferring two expanded blasts of a twenty/something year old donor greatly increases your chance of pregnancy. For me, I would transfer two expanded or hatched blasts without blinking an eye!!! However, I'm okay with having twins and have no indication
that carrying twins would be problematic for me. I think this is a personal decision. The only thing we can say for sure is that if you transfer two, you may get two babies, or maybe more if the eggs split. Good luck.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 30th, 2012, 3:03 pm #8

For my clinic, transfer success with fresh cycle is a little over 60 percent; about 45 percent for frozen. I would say my RE generally prefers to transfer two, of which about 30 percent result in multiples. However, he has said it is my choice.

So sorry to hear about your challenges, though.
It will tell how many they transfer on avg per cycle for fresh and frozen. If say 1.6 avg leads to 60% success, unless I were very comfortable with the risks and challenges of twins, I'd transfer one. If they transfer any more than 2 on avg to get that 60ish%, I might consider transferring two and taking the risk (well, I would not but if I were in someone else's body making the decision, I might).

Aufrecht
Aufrecht

May 30th, 2012, 4:48 pm #9

I had full term healthy twins 2 months ago and am overwhelmed. It would have been better in many ways to have had a singleton. Unless you specifically WANT twins, consider transferring only 1. Good Luck.

Mrs. H
Mrs. H

May 30th, 2012, 6:13 pm #10

Thanks everyone for your thoughts. For better or worse, we went with one.
Fingers crossed!!