transfer day 3 or 5 what is the norm for DE?

Anonymous
Anonymous

January 11th, 2011, 12:09 am #1

January 11th, 2011, 12:18 am #2

we're planned for a day 3 transfer on Feb 7th but they told us to plan jic for a day 5. Guess it depends on the clinic and the embryos

E&H
E&H

January 11th, 2011, 1:29 am #3

and whenever possible always encourage them. We do have as much success with 3 day but at 3 days I would recommend 3 embryos to be transferred and of course there is a risk of having triplets. At 5 days I recommend a maximum of 2 to be transferred and if people really don't want twins I would recommend a SET. I would never recommend SETs with 3 day embryos but that's just my opinion you may feel differently or not mind twins. Also, you have to have the embryologists advice. Does your embryologist have lots of experience of growing embryos to 5 days (the culture media is changed so there is a risk if she/he is not used to it). Obviously, you need to take the advice of your embryologist and doctor but if the embryos are good its 5 days for me.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

January 11th, 2011, 2:57 am #4

unless number is small and/or quality poor then they transfer on day three.

demomone
demomone

January 11th, 2011, 12:24 pm #5

Most clinics transfer five day blasts for DE. I think becaue they want to make sure they have divided and are expanding. My clinic will rarely do a 3 day transfer. Only if the batch is so-so and the recipient is willing to take the expense and risk.
I also think it is because they want to make sure their stats stay up and with a five day blast that has been watched and is healthy, therer is more of a chance of a pregnancy.
Good luck

January 12th, 2011, 11:05 pm #6

...and what the quality is. It doesn't make sense to wait for five days if you only have a few embryos that look decent. You want to transfer them as soon as possible, and not risk having them compromised by a longer wait. If you have a huge number of very good embryos, then waiting for five days would make sense, as then you can pick out the very best ones for transfer.

In my case, cycling in South Africa where they do a "low stim" approach, it's usually day three... I had only four embryos, and only two that were really good. Of course we transferred on day three (and I was successful with a singleton).

Maya
Last edited by Maya3 on January 12th, 2011, 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.