Thoughts on Massachusetts RE clinics?

Thoughts on Massachusetts RE clinics?

Malibugirl662
Malibugirl662

March 16th, 2011, 6:08 pm #1

Hi Ladies,

I went to Fertility Centers of New England yesterday. Did not like it - it feels like a patient mill! The doctor kept me waiting 45 minutes in an empty waiting room. Nurse could not be bothered to answer my questions. Felt like I was annoying her. DE coordinator - likewise - could not answer my questions. When I asked why they were repeating so much b/w that is under 6 months old, she said "we don't trust anyone else's results."

As if they are not all using Quest diagnostics...

I left with a bad feeling.

Now considering Reproductive Science Center in Lexington. I liked their DE coordinator. Any input from board members who have used them?

Anywhere else I should look? I should say I didn't really like BIVF for all the same reasons I didn't like Fertility Centers of NE....

THANKS!

Malibugirl662

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 16th, 2011, 7:42 pm #2

I did not like ANY of the places I went. Boston IVF had the nicest people.

But this was not for DE.

I went to Repro Science center and it is a circus. They don't always answer their phone during the day. But my experience there was brief.

Did you check the SART stats? Brigham and Women's and Mass General has the best stats.

March 16th, 2011, 8:15 pm #3

Hi Ladies,

I went to Fertility Centers of New England yesterday. Did not like it - it feels like a patient mill! The doctor kept me waiting 45 minutes in an empty waiting room. Nurse could not be bothered to answer my questions. Felt like I was annoying her. DE coordinator - likewise - could not answer my questions. When I asked why they were repeating so much b/w that is under 6 months old, she said "we don't trust anyone else's results."

Now considering Reproductive Science Center in Lexington. I liked their DE coordinator. Any input from board members who have used them?

Anywhere else I should look? I should say I didn't really like BIVF for all the same reasons I didn't like Fertility Centers of NE....

THANKS!

Malibugirl662
Although I can't compare it to any of the other clinics as it was my first cycle. I was successful so obviously was quite pleased.
Good luck

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

March 16th, 2011, 10:37 pm #4

Hi Ladies,

THANKS!

Malibugirl662
The staff there is wonderful. Linda and Donna the DE coordinators are prompt at returning calls and following up and always willing to answer questions. The nursing staff and Dr.Pang are great too. They always take the time to answer all my questions. I called once late on a Friday afternoon b/c I was having some BTB on the BCPs and left a message like: ."if this is normal and I don't need to change anything you don't need to call me back." After 6pm on a friday I got a call back from a nurse to reassure me that it was completely normal. There are two nurses on the DE team and even when they are both off they have a great communication system so that when I speak with a covering nurse they always know what is going one which is reassuring. They do have a voicemail system so when you call to speak with the nurse you have to leave a message and they call you back but they are prompt (always same day). Dr. Pang is a big proponent on SET. We did fresh transfer of single embryo in Jan but did not stick so we will thaw our two frosties next month. The only bad thing is the price. If our frosties don't work we need to move on to Shady Groves guarantee program or in inexpensive international program (considering the Czech Repuplic) b/c we cannot afford another RSC fresh cycle unless we hit megabucks. The one word I would use to describe this practice is integrity. Prior to doing DE I saw another RE in the practice and she was great too, very honest, realistic and willing to go to bat for her patients. I work in healthcare so I definitely recognize good care when I see it. If you have more questions post them or send me your email. Good luck with your decision.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 17th, 2011, 12:07 pm #5

Thanks for the input all!

macphee
macphee

March 17th, 2011, 1:38 pm #6

Hi Ladies,

THANKS!

Malibugirl662
Cardone's practice, according to a friend, is like a boutique, lot's of attention and the transfers are done at Boston IVF. He's a one man show and when he was out for surgery I was concerned about staff running the show without physician input. I asked that they call someone for an opinion when Dr. Cardone wasn't available and they wouldn't. I suppose as long as he's around, you'll get excellent care and attention.

RSC staff & care was pretty good (friend & I agreee)

One friend thought Boston IVF was like a cattle call, another hasn't had the same experience there.

BWH care seems good but you don't get much individual attention or prompt info.

Most clinics, except Cardone, could be better at getting back to patients with test results. Why they can't automate testing results to send via e-mail when they get them (not appropriate for some testing I know) is beyond me.

I think most staff is pretty oblivious to difficulties of infertilitly or they just don't have the time to care. They (including RE's) are remarkably inflexible and have a cookie cutter approach to treatment. If you have discovered over time that you aren't a cookie (you wouldn't be here if you were!), get educated and be very persistent.

keifel
keifel

March 17th, 2011, 11:10 pm #7

The staff there is wonderful. Linda and Donna the DE coordinators are prompt at returning calls and following up and always willing to answer questions. The nursing staff and Dr.Pang are great too. They always take the time to answer all my questions. I called once late on a Friday afternoon b/c I was having some BTB on the BCPs and left a message like: ."if this is normal and I don't need to change anything you don't need to call me back." After 6pm on a friday I got a call back from a nurse to reassure me that it was completely normal. There are two nurses on the DE team and even when they are both off they have a great communication system so that when I speak with a covering nurse they always know what is going one which is reassuring. They do have a voicemail system so when you call to speak with the nurse you have to leave a message and they call you back but they are prompt (always same day). Dr. Pang is a big proponent on SET. We did fresh transfer of single embryo in Jan but did not stick so we will thaw our two frosties next month. The only bad thing is the price. If our frosties don't work we need to move on to Shady Groves guarantee program or in inexpensive international program (considering the Czech Repuplic) b/c we cannot afford another RSC fresh cycle unless we hit megabucks. The one word I would use to describe this practice is integrity. Prior to doing DE I saw another RE in the practice and she was great too, very honest, realistic and willing to go to bat for her patients. I work in healthcare so I definitely recognize good care when I see it. If you have more questions post them or send me your email. Good luck with your decision.
I'm using RSC right now, too. I chose them because of their association with the Attain money back guarantee program, had a failed first DE cycle and am now in my 2nd out of 3 tries with possible success... positive beta!

They seem to have it down to a system. I've been pleased so far, communication is very good, could always be better. Also, the initial appointment scheduling took a little waiting.