Skin care? Oy.

Skin care? Oy.

March 17th, 2012, 4:29 pm #1

I have super dry and sensitive skin and I am very fair, so I need strong sunscreen (only one I have found does not give me eczema...Arvene). I am super concerned about phthalates and bpas, and petrochemicals, but I have a great system I had refined for my skin during non pregnancy.

But now I want to get ready for switching my product line before transfer.

My cousin sells Arbonne, and I like it, but it is not specifically pregnancy safe. I mean, hydroxys and salicyc acids are fine EXCEPT when pregnant...

Anyone thinking about this?

I like European products made in Europe, because EU standards are way higher for safety than the US, but they are not super easy to find. I used to find good stuff at CVS, but I guess they did not sell enough, because they have fewer than they used to.

Lavera? Burt's Bees (which is owned by Proctor and Gamble now, or something...not sure).

Products need to be free of all tetragenic stuff, even things like rosemary oil and aloe vera...no hydroxys and salicyc acids...

I feel sort of overwhelmed in finding a choice...

March 17th, 2012, 4:50 pm #2

I was so paranoid when pregnant, I used a Crystal Rock deodorant, washed with some all natural stuff, the name of which I have forgotten, and that was it. No makeup, nothing on my face. But if I had been good and used sunscreen, it probably would have been something like this stuff:http://www.badgerbalm.com/c-6-sun-care.aspx To care for my skin if it were on the dry side, I'd have used something like this stuff:http://www.amazon.com/Hyaluronic-Acid-S ... _bt_text_b and organic coconut oil. I have somewhat oily skin though and just took a REAL minimalist approach. I decided that 24 cycles was enough and I was going to do everything in my power to tip the scales in my favor for this one to be the last one, even if it seemed like overkill.

March 17th, 2012, 5:52 pm #3

I have super dry and sensitive skin and I am very fair, so I need strong sunscreen (only one I have found does not give me eczema...Arvene). I am super concerned about phthalates and bpas, and petrochemicals, but I have a great system I had refined for my skin during non pregnancy.

My cousin sells Arbonne, and I like it, but it is not specifically pregnancy safe. I mean, hydroxys and salicyc acids are fine EXCEPT when pregnant...

I like European products made in Europe, because EU standards are way higher for safety than the US, but they are not super easy to find. I used to find good stuff at CVS, but I guess they did not sell enough, because they have fewer than they used to.

Lavera? Burt's Bees (which is owned by Proctor and Gamble now, or something...not sure).

Products need to be free of all tetragenic stuff, even things like rosemary oil and aloe vera...no hydroxys and salicyc acids...

My skin gets dry also and I'm fair skinned. I just use Oil of Olay with sunscreen on my face and have done so for 20 years. It works just fine for me. But it is probably filled with chemicals. I also put it on my hands and my hands are super sensitive for dryness. So I think it is a pretty good product. It does work as a sunscreen because during the summer my arms get tan and my hands don't. It is very light and not oily, does not clog your pores.

For night time I have used Kiss My Face night cream which I love or the Burts Bees night creams which I also like a lot. But actually I prefer the Kiss My Face, I just need to find some again. You would have to check out the ingredients to see if they will work ok for you but I have not had any problems with them. I didn't like the Kiss My Face day cream though, only the nighttime heavy moisturing cream and I love the lavender smell.

I've been using some salycic acid and didn't know it was a potential problem for pregnancy. I only looked it up recently and discovered this so now I have stopped using it. Yikes! Oh well, I was only using a small amount. I guess it is used or related to aspirin and you are not supposed to use aspirin while pregnant.

I don't like changing skin products and trying new things if I don't have to. It is expensive and I'm always concerned it will do something weird to cause a skin reaction. Have you ever tried just plain old olive oil on your skin? You can't get any more natural than that and you just apply a little bit. But then you need to find a sunscreen.

minniet
minniet

March 17th, 2012, 6:43 pm #4

Personally, I love the Olay Prox night cream, it's great, but no, it is full of chemicals and also has peptides, which I am unsure about.

I use Avene sunscreen/day cream, and a variety of cleansers, the Arbonne, Lavera, etc. Light cream based cleansers or nothing (if I am not wearing makeup).

Olive oil really irritates my face.

I just bought some Waleda night cream cause the ingredients are safe, but OMG, it smells like perfume just opening the bottle...I am returning it! I could never put so much fragrance on my face...

Maybe I will just use the Avene for sunscreen and the Arbonne products. I asked my cousin to research what is in the Arbonne products.

I get really bad eczema and I already have some melanoma from previous pregnancies which did not work, so I am really loathe to use subpar products...(not to mention I am aging and my skin shows it when not taken care of.)

But also do not want to use stuff unsafe for pregnancy -- Retinoids are really bad.

diaphanta
diaphanta

March 17th, 2012, 6:53 pm #5

I have friends who are real fans but I just can't justify the expenditure at the moment.

http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/home

The Rose Day Moisturiser is a real legend in the UK.

March 17th, 2012, 7:09 pm #6

Personally, I love the Olay Prox night cream, it's great, but no, it is full of chemicals and also has peptides, which I am unsure about.

I use Avene sunscreen/day cream, and a variety of cleansers, the Arbonne, Lavera, etc. Light cream based cleansers or nothing (if I am not wearing makeup).

Olive oil really irritates my face.

I just bought some Waleda night cream cause the ingredients are safe, but OMG, it smells like perfume just opening the bottle...I am returning it! I could never put so much fragrance on my face...

Maybe I will just use the Avene for sunscreen and the Arbonne products. I asked my cousin to research what is in the Arbonne products.

I get really bad eczema and I already have some melanoma from previous pregnancies which did not work, so I am really loathe to use subpar products...(not to mention I am aging and my skin shows it when not taken care of.)

But also do not want to use stuff unsafe for pregnancy -- Retinoids are really bad.
dumb autospell!

March 17th, 2012, 7:12 pm #7

I have friends who are real fans but I just can't justify the expenditure at the moment.

http://www.drhauschka.co.uk/home

The Rose Day Moisturiser is a real legend in the UK.
A lot of the lines which use herbs and natural stuff are very hard on my skin, and cause me breakouts. Dr. H's "sensitive eyes" cream gave me two puffed eyes...I am scared to use anything else from their line, and yes it is so expensive.

I actually just ordered a set of wild rose stuff from Lavera...total set (cleanser, night cream and separate sunscreen) came to $63.

March 17th, 2012, 7:34 pm #8

I'm ultra-paranoid about skincare. During my last pregnancy, I gave up everything I'd been using and switched to Novena products http://www.novenamaternity.com/). I've never gone back. I know some of what I use isn't recommended for those with sensitive skin, but check out their products - they do have a kits (and of course individual products) for different skin types.

Also, like BlessedThistle, I started using Crystal Rock deodorant, but one lightly scented with Lavender & White Tea (I sweat a lot, so this was rough at first, but it's the only non-aluminum deodorant that's ever worked for me).

Good luck and let us know what you find. I'm always looking for new pregnancy-friendly stuff!

March 17th, 2012, 7:52 pm #9

I pulled up the cleanser ingredient list:

Aloe barbadensis(Organic Aloe)Juice - bad for pregnancy

Lavandula angustifolia(Organic Lavender)Distillate - estrogenic

Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate - tetragenic (cancer associated)

Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate - tetragenic

Hydrolyzed Wheat Proteins - I am allergic to wheat

Melaleuca alternifolia(Tea Tree) - estrogenic

Can you believe it?

Now, these are VERY minor concentrations, so I would not worry having used it in the past, but since I am trying to sacrifice having my skin look good for the benefit of no exposure to bad stuff, this is sort of frustrating!

I really do not worry about this stuff every day. I am sure I use stuff which works great for my skin but has bad stuff in it. But when you read about what is already stuck in our body and being exposed to a baby in utero, I just want to do my best to not add to it.

Gosh!

March 17th, 2012, 8:31 pm #10

A couple of things, though...

I haven't seen evidence that Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate is teratogenic. It's very different from Sodium Lauryl Sulfate, which is a small molecule ingredient, and is capable of penetrating the skin. SL Sulfoacetate is a large molecule that's derived from coconut and palm oils and is supposed to be a safer, skin-friendly surfactant for both skin and hair. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's better than the other alternatives... Same thing goes for Disodium Laureth Sulfosuccinate - maybe not perfect, but better than anything with sulfates..

Getting a cleanser that has lots of suds without one of these ingredients is tough. You might try Burt's Bees, but some of their products have too many essential oils and extracts for me.

As for Aloe, I do know that you're not supposed to ingest it during pregnancy (due to the possibility of inducing uterine contractions), so I'm surprised that it would be in their products. However, now that I'm going back to look at the other pregnancy lines I considered (Juice Beauty, etc..), ALL of them have it!! Granted, it's a very tiny concentration, but still.

I've heard conflicting things regarding Tea Tree and Lavender, but again, why risk it?

Anyway, I totally understand you not wanting to have ANY of these things in your products. Again, I'd love to know what you decide on, so please keep us updated!