Second Beta is in and its up

Second Beta is in and its up

November 23rd, 2011, 1:06 pm #1

Hello again ladies. I am pleased to say the second beta is up from 266 at 16 days past retrieval to 1254 at 19 days past retrieval. I'm definitely pregnant and the doubling rate is good at just over 33hrs

I checked on betabase and am really confused. I was just slightly above the median for single pregnancy on the first beta but the second beta is equivalent to the 21 days past retrieval not the 19 days it should be. Scarily, on the twin pregnancies chart it is about at the median for that day. However the doubling rate is close to median for both single or twin pregnancies. I had the bloods taken same time both days. Any of you ladies understand the betabase charts? Do you think twins is a possibility with these numbers? I can cope with twins if it is to be although I was rather hoping for singleton. I'll be blessed with either situation but would like your thoughts on the numbers if you have any. I won't be able to get scan until earliest 8wks.

Thanks

Aoife

Last edited by aoife1 on November 23rd, 2011, 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 1:33 pm #2

...664 at 16dpo and 1382 at 18dpo
i had a singleton.
when i first went for my ultrasound the re was thinking he was going to find more than one..but....there was just one big fat healthy bean...it was a boy
he is now 3 yrs old.
congrats to you and here's to a uneventful next 9 months!

November 23rd, 2011, 4:06 pm #3

..uneventful as in no problems

i should have said here's to a happy healthy 9 months...

November 23rd, 2011, 4:19 pm #4

Hello again ladies. I am pleased to say the second beta is up from 266 at 16 days past retrieval to 1254 at 19 days past retrieval. I'm definitely pregnant and the doubling rate is good at just over 33hrs

I checked on betabase and am really confused. I was just slightly above the median for single pregnancy on the first beta but the second beta is equivalent to the 21 days past retrieval not the 19 days it should be. Scarily, on the twin pregnancies chart it is about at the median for that day. However the doubling rate is close to median for both single or twin pregnancies. I had the bloods taken same time both days. Any of you ladies understand the betabase charts? Do you think twins is a possibility with these numbers? I can cope with twins if it is to be although I was rather hoping for singleton. I'll be blessed with either situation but would like your thoughts on the numbers if you have any. I won't be able to get scan until earliest 8wks.

Thanks

Aoife

At 14dp5dt, my hCG was 6694 mIU/ml with twins. That would be 19d past retrieval. You know, yeah, I think twins are a possibility, but just try not to sweat it till your scan. The boards are full of stories of high betas for singletons and twins when the betas were not so high. Take care, Maggie (in VA)
Last edited by maggie1961 on November 23rd, 2011, 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 23rd, 2011, 4:42 pm #5

Thanks

Aoife

My betas were quite low - in the bottom 1% for twins on beta base. So I was SURE I was having only one. Yet, I have two wonderful toddlers now. And I have seen higher betas with great doubling times be singletons. Only the ultrasound will tell. Fingers crossed for you.

minniet
minniet

November 23rd, 2011, 6:05 pm #6

Thanks

Aoife

Your numbers are great, and I am so happy for you!

I would step away from the betabase...

Of all my friends who tracked betas with their ivf pregnancies (de, oe, insemination), none followed the predicted path for a singleton or twins. Lots of gals I know had high initial betas and everyone thought they would have twins...and they had a singleton all along. Another friend of mine had such a low beta that I secretly thought it would not last -- fullterm twins. And it really goes all over the map that way.

If you are worried about twins, try not to worry. You just don't know anything until that first ultrasound, and it will be here before you know it!

Enjoy!

CrazyLady
CrazyLady

November 23rd, 2011, 6:26 pm #7

Thanks

Aoife

Keep it up!!

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

November 23rd, 2011, 9:56 pm #8

Thanks

Aoife

No opinion on singleton vs twins but wanted to shout out a hugh congrats for your doubling. What a relief!!!

futurebeauty

E&H
E&H

November 23rd, 2011, 10:10 pm #9

Thanks

Aoife

My doubling time with twins was 43 hours.

Cathy
Cathy

November 23rd, 2011, 11:07 pm #10

Thanks

Aoife

178 @ 13dpo, 452 @ 15dpo, 1612 @ 19dpo, and 3305 @ 21 dpo.