really considering RBA + froz bank (OE, child, losses ment)

really considering RBA + froz bank (OE, child, losses ment)

June 28th, 2012, 7:54 pm #1

Hi all,
I posted on the over 40 board recently after discovering this site. I posted my 'summary' at the bottom, but am really getting excited about DE after being resistant for so long (maybe resistant isn't the word, but I had so much hope for OE for 3 years and I do not have that anymore). Anyway, DH would like to keep trying with OE, and maybe we will do one more try, but my heart is really leaning towards the more statistically successful route, with my history of losses etc..Anyway, I haven't thoroughly researched it yet, but would love to hear input from people since this is very new territory for me. The one thing I like about it is that while I'd have to travel across the country for it, I like the stats and the ease of not using a donor from step 1--I feel like this 3 year (for no 2) journey has sucked the patience out of me--I realize I still need to be patient since there is no stork dropping a baby in my lap, but I guess I don't, at this point in time, think I can handle the longer process of fresh donor cycle etc (but totally think it's wonderful for others, of course!). My friend just had success with Cape Town (DE/DS) first try (soooo inexpensive, by comparison!) but it's just too far (plus it's not longer inexpensive when there are 3 of you traveling) for all of us to trek out there...

anyway, can't wait to learn more from everyone!

Me: 41 PCOS (treated with Met), heterozygous MTHFR, hashimoto's and bad eggs apparently, immunology reports=normal
DH: 46, everything OK
4 yo DD

Dx'd pcos at age 35
I missed m/c at age 36
1 clomid CP at age 36
2nd round clomid at age 37= dd, now 4
TTC on our own at 38 for 6 mos
Started clomid again at 38.5 yrs, for several cycles, then added clomid + inject at 39
all in all, 10 clomid (2 with inject added) cycles = 9 bfn's and 1 more m/c
Consult with Dr Zouves at age 41, seems hopeful re: my AFC and response to stims, all immunology seems normal, but treating me for RPL with aspirin, lovenox and intralipids
IVF #1 at 41 w Antagon protocol (20 follies, 18 eggs, all mature, 14 fert. PGS= 4 normals/4 swings) all 4 normals tfer'd =CP
FET #1 4/2012 t-fer'ed 2 expanded blasts "swing" embryos = CP
IVF #2 6/2012 20 follicles, 13 eggs, 10 fertilized. After CGH- NO normals! One monosomy 15 embryo transferred, but low to no hope
I'm considering DE, Dh may want to push for another IVF with my eggs

June 29th, 2012, 2:27 am #2

It took me ao g time to have success, but that was due to my lousy uterus. Not faulty embryos. I am a huge Dr Toledo fan. He has a wait list, so even if you are just thinking about it, it's worth it to at least call and make the initial consult. He does do the consult by phony if you aren't from Atlanta. I think there is a wait for that too. There is a reason why he has such a long wait list. He's worth it. A great and caring doctor. I used frozen eggs. My baby is sleeping on my lap as I type this.

I loved the ease of the eggs already there, waiting for me. Didn't have to worry about if donor would produce, etc. but, you do t get a huge amt of eggs. That being said, I have 4 top grade frozen embryos. I did an eSET. RBA loves to do eSETs, but they will tfr 2. For personal reasons I wanted to do an eSET, so I was the one who chose that and they were fine with it.

Last edited by margolis on July 1st, 2012, 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KS
KS

June 29th, 2012, 4:48 pm #3

Hi all,
I posted on the over 40 board recently after discovering this site. I posted my 'summary' at the bottom, but am really getting excited about DE after being resistant for so long (maybe resistant isn't the word, but I had so much hope for OE for 3 years and I do not have that anymore). Anyway, DH would like to keep trying with OE, and maybe we will do one more try, but my heart is really leaning towards the more statistically successful route, with my history of losses etc..Anyway, I haven't thoroughly researched it yet, but would love to hear input from people since this is very new territory for me. The one thing I like about it is that while I'd have to travel across the country for it, I like the stats and the ease of not using a donor from step 1--I feel like this 3 year (for no 2) journey has sucked the patience out of me--I realize I still need to be patient since there is no stork dropping a baby in my lap, but I guess I don't, at this point in time, think I can handle the longer process of fresh donor cycle etc (but totally think it's wonderful for others, of course!). My friend just had success with Cape Town (DE/DS) first try (soooo inexpensive, by comparison!) but it's just too far (plus it's not longer inexpensive when there are 3 of you traveling) for all of us to trek out there...

Me: 41 PCOS (treated with Met), heterozygous MTHFR, hashimoto's and bad eggs apparently, immunology reports=normal
4 yo DD

Dx'd pcos at age 35
I missed m/c at age 36
1 clomid CP at age 36
Started clomid again at 38.5 yrs, for several cycles, then added clomid + inject at 39
Consult with Dr Zouves at age 41, seems hopeful re: my AFC and response to stims, all immunology seems normal, but treating me for RPL with aspirin, lovenox and intralipids
IVF #1 at 41 w Antagon protocol (20 follies, 18 eggs, all mature, 14 fert. PGS= 4 normals/4 swings) all 4 normals tfer'd =CP
IVF #2 6/2012 20 follicles, 13 eggs, 10 fertilized. After CGH- NO normals! One monosomy 15 embryo transferred, but low to no hope
I used RBA and was very pleased with everything. The fact that you don't have to start from step one and they have the frozen bank with the guarantee takes a lot of stress out of the process. I had success on the very first try after doing 2 years of other treatments. From what I have seen on here and other boards, many people have success with them right off the bat.

HappyBean
HappyBean

June 29th, 2012, 5:23 pm #4

Hi all,

4 yo DD

Dx'd pcos at age 35
I missed m/c at age 36
1 clomid CP at age 36
Please keep us posted. I have a ton of questions about how they work and how you get to your eggs--I'm assuming you and your DH (or partner, or frozen sperm, whichever) make the trek to Atlanta or one of their affiliate clinics and get the eggs fertilized, then you stay put until the embies mature satisfactorily, and then they do the transfer to you.

Sorry for your OE ordeal--we've all been through some version of the same, and lord knows this board has served as a godsend for many. Good luck as you continue on in the journey!

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 29th, 2012, 7:12 pm #5

Hi all,

4 yo DD

Dx'd pcos at age 35
I missed m/c at age 36
1 clomid CP at age 36
And so far, so good. I really like their program. What sold me was four things.

1) Success rates- 67-70 % depending upon what years are counted and 80% ongoing/live birth rate of their patients under single cycle guarantee. I follow a thread of RBA ladies elsehwere and I was convinced by their stats.
2)Guarantee of two high quality embryos for transfers or free cycle
3) Ease of cycle- do not have to sync cycle with that of donor since the eggs ahve already been retrieved.
4) Reasonable price- $16,500 for the single cycle plus transportation and lodging. $30,000 for 5 cycles including FET (money back program.) I thought this was a great price as compared to other clinics with similar are higher success rates.

You should however know a few things that might be a deal-breaker for you. They do not allow you to see adult photos. Only baby or childhood pictures. They also only freeze 4-8 eggs with almost everyone getting 6 eggs (Actually think 6 eggs thawed is now the policy.) That means not that many frosties. Most seem to have at least one but not everyone has any frosties. They also have a lot of pre-cycle requirements if you are 45 and over and you can not get access to the full donor bank until all pre-cycle requirements are completed and you pay a $500 deposit. So, consider these things also. Good luck whatever you decide.

June 29th, 2012, 8:20 pm #6

Also, isn't their age limit 50 and 364 days? nt

June 29th, 2012, 8:48 pm #7

It took me ao g time to have success, but that was due to my lousy uterus. Not faulty embryos. I am a huge Dr Toledo fan. He has a wait list, so even if you are just thinking about it, it's worth it to at least call and make the initial consult. He does do the consult by phony if you aren't from Atlanta. I think there is a wait for that too. There is a reason why he has such a long wait list. He's worth it. A great and caring doctor. I used frozen eggs. My baby is sleeping on my lap as I type this.

I loved the ease of the eggs already there, waiting for me. Didn't have to worry about if donor would produce, etc. but, you do t get a huge amt of eggs. That being said, I have 4 top grade frozen embryos. I did an eSET. RBA loves to do eSETs, but they will tfr 2. For personal reasons I wanted to do an eSET, so I was the one who chose that and they were fine with it.
I have two children from the RBA donor egg program and hopefully will going back to try for a third within the next year. I did the frozen egg program and had success the very first time and have a dd now 2.7 years. It was a very easy process and I am an out of town person so I was concerned with how all that would work. They usually have really good communication esp once you get into the donor egg bank and are dealing with the de coordinators.

I used the frozen eggs a second time to try for a sibling and was not successful. I had nothing to freeze from the eggs that gave me my dd but I had purchased 7 additional eggs from the same donor from the egg bank. I transferred 2 and then 3 with negative results. I then ended up doing a fresh cycle with the same donor which gave me my ds.

In my opinion the frozen eggs are good if you just want one or maybe if both take twins. I want 3-4 children hopefully all from the same donor so we probably should have went with a fresh cycle. We were just really lucky that our donor agreed to donate again.

Steph

dd 11/09 from frozen eggs
ds 11/11 fresh cycle with same donor

actingloud
actingloud

June 30th, 2012, 4:26 am #8

Hi all,

4 yo DD

Dx'd pcos at age 35
I missed m/c at age 36
1 clomid CP at age 36
Anyone know if there is a.bmi limit? I am a
Fattie

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 30th, 2012, 1:09 pm #9

Also, isn't their age limit 50 and 364 days? nt
Know that 50 is limit-not sure about 364 days n/t

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

June 30th, 2012, 1:12 pm #10

Anyone know if there is a.bmi limit? I am a
Fattie
Im overweight with high BMI and it's not an issue. They do make you do a lot of pre-cycle tests so if everything looks good, you should be okay.