RE refusing to do fragmentation or antisperm antibodies

RE refusing to do fragmentation or antisperm antibodies

Lauren
Lauren

March 3rd, 2011, 6:55 pm #1

Ughhhhh!! I've posted about this RE and my dislike.

We are just trying to get initial testing done before we move on to someone like Check. He refused to send DH's Sample for frag test because "we'll get the best ones in the lab anyway". Yeah...AFTER we potentially do a failed cycle and discover then we need ICSI. I feel like paying for a failed cycle, how about you? He also refuses antibody tests, says motility will tell us that answer

Am I nuts? I think he just wants to upsell ICSI instead of getting an answer with the obviously cheaper test. We've had obvious signs that these tests are needed and he's the one that still thinks I dont need RPL workup either. I'm gointo find an ObGyn for that one

March 3rd, 2011, 7:03 pm #2

You cannot just "pick the best sperm in the lab anyway" when it comes to DNA fragmentation, unless he's Clark Kent-like and has eyes with electronmicroscopic ability. ICSI is used to select sperm with normal morphology; it cannot detect DNA normal sperm. In fact, nothing can select DNA normal sperm (though I think I read that Check had an electronmicroscope and could look at individual sperm but I haven't heard of anyone else doing that). Basically the SCSA (DNA frag test) just tells you what your husband's fertility potential is and you make decisions based upon that. Ours came back very poor, way outside the upper limit of acceptable, and we were offered TESE as a way of obtaining sperm that is less likely to be DNA damaged. Other people choose to just use donor sperm instead. But wouldn't you rather have that information before you spend a bundle on an expensive DE cycle and use sperm that could never have worked?

These REs sometimes can just be A-holes. I've dealt with a few and learned my lesson. Vote with your pocketbook and walk. There are other doctors, even if it is inconvenient to see them.

March 3rd, 2011, 7:07 pm #3

right down to so many REs just being a-holes. Lauren if you want to get the SCSA done now (before finding a new RE - which you really need to do), see if your Gyn will write the scrip for the frag test, all you need is someone to have the results sent to - you do the "test" at home anyway and ship it off via FedEx yourself. Best,
Kenny

Lu
Lu

March 3rd, 2011, 7:18 pm #4

We are just trying to get initial testing done before we move on to someone like Check. He refused to send DH's Sample for frag test because "we'll get the best ones in the lab anyway". Yeah...AFTER we potentially do a failed cycle and discover then we need ICSI. I feel like paying for a failed cycle, how about you? He also refuses antibody tests, says motility will tell us that answer

Am I nuts? I think he just wants to upsell ICSI instead of getting an answer with the obviously cheaper test. We've had obvious signs that these tests are needed and he's the one that still thinks I dont need RPL workup either. I'm gointo find an ObGyn for that one
You may already know this, but just in case-
My RE did not feel the need to have my dh tested either, but I really wanted to since we were onto our 2nd donor. So I found on the SCSA website that you can choose the option without a doctor's referral (or something like that) and order up the test yourself. The downside- its then not covered by insurance if not ordered by a doc. With how much everything costs in this process though, I thought it was worth the out of pocket expense. Good luck to you!
Lu

Lu
Lu

March 3rd, 2011, 7:22 pm #5

that the results actually came to me via e-mail. I still handed them over to my RE.
Also, wanted to say that I'm sorry you are frustrated with your RE. I hope it gets easier for you soon.
Lu

Lauren
Lauren

March 3rd, 2011, 7:54 pm #6

See if it wasnt for this board I would have bought it all hook line and sinker. So thankful I know better. Ya'll are life savers. Knew I wasnt nuts

Lauren
Lauren

March 3rd, 2011, 8:27 pm #7

You may already know this, but just in case-
My RE did not feel the need to have my dh tested either, but I really wanted to since we were onto our 2nd donor. So I found on the SCSA website that you can choose the option without a doctor's referral (or something like that) and order up the test yourself. The downside- its then not covered by insurance if not ordered by a doc. With how much everything costs in this process though, I thought it was worth the out of pocket expense. Good luck to you!
Lu
Do you remember the cost? I'm on my phone and its harder to look up

Kacee
Kacee

March 3rd, 2011, 8:36 pm #8

http://millenova.com/, now know at ML Lab. Give them a call and they will help you. They will actually send a nitrogen container to you and you can do the sample at home. As far as interpreting the results, you can post your result to Dr. Sher, on his board and he will interpret them for you or give you a free phone consult. You do not have to be a patient.

Lauren
Lauren

March 3rd, 2011, 9:17 pm #9

If I didnt have any other signs he was a scam, he called back after my rant and agreed to send the test to "a special place in South Dakota". No $hit Sherlock!

He then tells me its $650. Interesting given that the site lists $225 for the test and 150 for shipping. I'm done!!!!! Does he not know Google was invented?

March 3rd, 2011, 9:26 pm #10

Someone should tell him about Google networking, poor dumb son of a b!tch.