questions for final DE consult

questions for final DE consult

Mrs. M.
Mrs. M.

November 3rd, 2010, 5:38 pm #1

Hi everyone-I'm excited to report that our donor finally is going in for her evaluation today (I'm not too worried about any issues b/c she is a three time proven donor). Next week DH and I go in for the final consult before our cycle and I'm compiling a list of questions, etc. I plan to ask for a mock transfer. RE prefers SET but we are really going to push for transfer of two embies if available b/c we would love twins and I want to do everything to maximize our chances. We are self and can only afford one try. Clinic has a 66% (live birth) success rate with DE fresh cycles. Anything else important that I need to ask or discuss? I'm relatively new to all of this, tried one cycle with OE but it was cancelled do to inadequate response. Any input is appreciated! Thanks soooo much!

November 3rd, 2010, 9:07 pm #2

If you can afford an extra $2K+ then ask for CGH or PGD Micro-Array (these names seem to be interchangable at some places) to determine which embies are chromosomally abnormal so that you don't transfer them.

While younger donors are more likely to produce normal eggs than an older woman would, there is some data out there that says as many as 1/2 of embies from donor egg are abnormal. If you really can't affort another cycle, then you owe it to yourself to do everything you can to make this one work, including eliminating the bad embies prior to transfer. There's an older kind of PGD that only tests a certain number of chromosomes, the ones that are most likely to lead to birth defects and/or m/c, but the CGH or Micro-Array is more thorough, testing every chromosome.

BEST of luck to you!!

November 4th, 2010, 3:59 am #3

that PGD can have as high as a 60% false positive and so not to do it unless you have embies to spare, cuz you may throw out some good ones. Not sure if that's still true but wanted to share it.

November 5th, 2010, 3:54 am #4

does not have a high rate of error, I think closer to 10% if I recall correctly? That is due to the fact that they now know embryos tend to "self-correct" ie the embryos can proceed even with some abnormal cells, letting those become the placenta, and the normal cells become the baby. So in cases where that is the cell that you have sampled (out of the 8-cell embie on day 3), you would lose that embie that might have "self-corrected." No false negative rate, which was more important to me, along with the fact that PGS now tests all 23 chromosome pairs (used to be 6 or 8 pairs for only the most common errors with PGD). If you do the embryo biopsy on day 5 (which then requires a freeze-all as you won't have results in time for transfer), this risk of false positives is virtually eliminated - as it was explained to me, so this is just my understanding of recent developments.

After 3 DE mcs (with one DE live birth in the middle), we did CGH on yet another fresh cycle, transferred one normal embie and are 20w pg with a singleton. We had enough embies that I could live with losing 1 in 10 in error, so we did test them on day 3, had results back by day 5, and did the fresh transfer. I'm REALLY glad we did it, as it has also allowed me to relax quite a bit more and not head into NT scan and such with any fear, more like just a fun u/s . Even better, I knew when I p'd on a stick that I was having a girl LOL (either would have been equally wonderful, I just thought it was a kick to know that early and be able to say "SHE is giving me heartburn already.")

Best,
Kenny

Mrs. M.
Mrs. M.

November 5th, 2010, 10:01 pm #5

Hi everyone-I'm excited to report that our donor finally is going in for her evaluation today (I'm not too worried about any issues b/c she is a three time proven donor). Next week DH and I go in for the final consult before our cycle and I'm compiling a list of questions, etc. I plan to ask for a mock transfer. RE prefers SET but we are really going to push for transfer of two embies if available b/c we would love twins and I want to do everything to maximize our chances. We are self and can only afford one try. Clinic has a 66% (live birth) success rate with DE fresh cycles. Anything else important that I need to ask or discuss? I'm relatively new to all of this, tried one cycle with OE but it was cancelled do to inadequate response. Any input is appreciated! Thanks soooo much!
Thanks to all for your input!! nt