Question Re: Selecting Donor w/ significant height difference

Question Re: Selecting Donor w/ significant height difference

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 25th, 2012, 5:56 pm #1

Hi Ladies,

Just got access to the donor bank and right off the bat I see someone that looks facially like me the most. The only issue is that she is much taller than me. She is 5'10'. Her maternal mother and grandmother however were both 5'4 or 5'5. Her father is 6'2. My Dh is only 5'9 so on the shorter side for a male. I'm 5'5'. No one would believe it if my child turned out to be very tall. It would not make sense. What are the chances with the donor being 5'10 and my DH being 5'9' that my child would be very tall? I will say that my own mother is 5'10 and my father is also the same height but I came out 5'5'. Any thoughts?

LizLA
LizLA

May 25th, 2012, 6:23 pm #2

My MIL has 5 sons from 5'7" to 6'4". And they are all have the same parents.

Good Luck.

MargieD
MargieD

May 25th, 2012, 8:26 pm #3

Hi Ladies,

Just got access to the donor bank and right off the bat I see someone that looks facially like me the most. The only issue is that she is much taller than me. She is 5'10'. Her maternal mother and grandmother however were both 5'4 or 5'5. Her father is 6'2. My Dh is only 5'9 so on the shorter side for a male. I'm 5'5'. No one would believe it if my child turned out to be very tall. It would not make sense. What are the chances with the donor being 5'10 and my DH being 5'9' that my child would be very tall? I will say that my own mother is 5'10 and my father is also the same height but I came out 5'5'. Any thoughts?
I am speaking from OE experience...

DH is 6'2". I'm 5'6". DH's sister and mom are both 5'1" or something.

DD is only 2 but off the charts for her age/height. Research says that children will be twice as tall as they were at age 2. If this is true, DD will be 6'4" (and this obviously had to come from my family since DH is the tallest one on his side and I have several tall relatives who are several inches taller than him).

What's funny....

My sister and her husband are taller than I am - both at 5'8".

They have a little DS who is 4 months younger than my DD and he's SHORT SHORT SHORT. About a good 6-8" shorter than DD.

I think, as you've noticed, it's difficult to predict height.

BlessedThistle
BlessedThistle

May 25th, 2012, 8:52 pm #4

Hi Ladies,

I used donor embryos and am 5'8". Based on current heights and donor heights, my kids are predicted to be about 5'3" and 5'10" (same as donors actually) and it doesn't matter to me. The profiles spoke to my heart and that was that.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 25th, 2012, 11:25 pm #5

Hi Ladies,

Thank you ladies. You guys are right. If the donor is a good fit, the height shouldn't really it matter. It does seem like there's so many variables when it comes to genetics that you really don't know how things will play out anyway. Thanks for your advice. Looking forward to narrowing down my choices.

May 26th, 2012, 12:04 am #6

Hi Ladies,

Neither of my parents are really tall, mom 5'7" and dad 5'9" but my brother turned out to be 6'3". He picked up the height genes from my maternal grandfather.

I think if you really like the donor you should select her knowing there is a pretty good chance your child "might" be on the taller side. Does the donor have a body style that is close to yours?

My donor is a few inches shorter than me. I wish she was a just a couple of inches taller to be closer to my height but we have the same body type and similar features so I had to just let the height thing go and not worry about it.

Antonialisa
Antonialisa

May 26th, 2012, 1:46 am #7

Dee, I'm so excited for you!

I just wanted to add my voice to those saying it doesn't matter, as I have a full biological sister who is a shortie and I'm very tall. No one ever thinks we aren't related.

Also, every generation seems to get taller, right? It's amazing how tall my nieces and nephews are, say compared to grandparents.

Please, please, please keep us updated as you move forward.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 26th, 2012, 3:06 am #8

Neither of my parents are really tall, mom 5'7" and dad 5'9" but my brother turned out to be 6'3". He picked up the height genes from my maternal grandfather.

I think if you really like the donor you should select her knowing there is a pretty good chance your child "might" be on the taller side. Does the donor have a body style that is close to yours?

My donor is a few inches shorter than me. I wish she was a just a couple of inches taller to be closer to my height but we have the same body type and similar features so I had to just let the height thing go and not worry about it.
Thanks for saying that. You are right. I could indeed naturally have a child on the taller side. I think you're absolutely correct, this is one of those things that you can't have everything to your specifications and you have to let some things go. As for the donor's body type, no it is not like mine. I am "fluffy" and all of the donors at my clinic are slim or medium build. So this particular donor is tall and slim whereas I'm shorter and fluffy. LOL we've sends look that to other donors that we like to. So we've narrowed it down to three. However, this was the first person that when my husband looked at the site he said looked like me. She is also the oldest of the three so we shall see. I have to find out more information about her next week. Thanks for your help.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 26th, 2012, 3:10 am #9

Dee, I'm so excited for you!

I just wanted to add my voice to those saying it doesn't matter, as I have a full biological sister who is a shortie and I'm very tall. No one ever thinks we aren't related.

Also, every generation seems to get taller, right? It's amazing how tall my nieces and nephews are, say compared to grandparents.

Please, please, please keep us updated as you move forward.
Thanks Antonialisa,

How are you doing? Have you decided what direction you're going to move in yet? I see from your story and the story of others that there's great variation between siblings. After reading the responses here, I feel a lot better. As I just said above, we're now down to three donors. However, the taller one is our first choice as of right now. I hope to have a final decision next week. I will definitely keep you posted. Please also keep us updated as to what's going on with you.

May 26th, 2012, 12:59 pm #10

Hi Ladies,

DH is much taller than me so I wasn't really worried about the height of my donor.  I figured that any resulting children would have a very good chance of being tall even if we had used my genetics.  I actually am not even positive exactly how tall she was.  I think she was quite a bit taller but was not clear from the paperwork and never asked because, as I said, I figured it would be something that was not unusual with my DH in the mix.  Both girls are young but so far are low on the weight charts and average to high on the height charts.  Good luck.

Pandora