Question on valium

Question on valium

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 12th, 2011, 9:51 pm #1

Is it considered safe to use during the stressful time leading up to a cycle and building a lining, to both relax the uterus and internal organs, and to help with anxiety as well?

I realize clinics commonly give 10mg at transfer (that's a huge dose), even 2.5mg would be helpful though. Also I recall some posters taking Valium in the 2ww for progesterone- related cramping?

June 12th, 2011, 11:51 pm #2

Hi. First of all - I totally understand the 2WW torture! I just started mine yesterday. And it is truly cruel. That said, and recognizing that I absolutely welcomed the little pill for my transfer yesterday, Valium is Class D drug and is contraindicated during pregnancy.

Now, might some REs prescribe it anyway, maybe they do. Heck, I'm not a doctor, just an active Googler.

Hang in there - you will get through the two weeks. You will...

http://www.drugs.com/valium.html

"FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use Valium if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Use effective birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Valium may cause low blood pressure, breathing problems, or addiction and withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Diazepam can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. The sedative effects of Valium may last longer in older adults. Accidental falls are common in elderly patients who take benzodiazepines. Use caution to avoid falling or accidental injury while you are taking this medicine."

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 12th, 2011, 11:52 pm #3

Is it considered safe to use during the stressful time leading up to a cycle and building a lining, to both relax the uterus and internal organs, and to help with anxiety as well?

I realize clinics commonly give 10mg at transfer (that's a huge dose), even 2.5mg would be helpful though. Also I recall some posters taking Valium in the 2ww for progesterone- related cramping?
up to transfer, just the day of. That's my $0.02. I'm sure others will chime in....

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 13th, 2011, 2:31 am #4

Hi. First of all - I totally understand the 2WW torture! I just started mine yesterday. And it is truly cruel. That said, and recognizing that I absolutely welcomed the little pill for my transfer yesterday, Valium is Class D drug and is contraindicated during pregnancy.

Now, might some REs prescribe it anyway, maybe they do. Heck, I'm not a doctor, just an active Googler.

Hang in there - you will get through the two weeks. You will...

http://www.drugs.com/valium.html

"FDA pregnancy category D. Do not use Valium if you are pregnant. It could harm the unborn baby. Use effective birth control, and tell your doctor if you become pregnant during treatment. Valium may cause low blood pressure, breathing problems, or addiction and withdrawal symptoms in a newborn if the mother takes the medication during pregnancy. Diazepam can pass into breast milk and may harm a nursing baby. Do not use this medication without telling your doctor if you are breast-feeding a baby. The sedative effects of Valium may last longer in older adults. Accidental falls are common in elderly patients who take benzodiazepines. Use caution to avoid falling or accidental injury while you are taking this medicine."
Ya no way would I take it if pregnant. This is for the period prior to beginning a cycle, where benzos are short-lived in the system. I am not in a 2ww and have not gotten a schedule yet.

I have had the 10mg valium at many transfers, then for the evening after transfer, and have not needed it during 2ww before. I understand that some REs do recommend valium in the 2ww if there is bad cramping that may be forcing out embryos, they would rather the uterus stay calm during that time.

June 13th, 2011, 2:40 am #5

I thought you were asking about taking Valium during the 2ww. I see now that wasn't your main concern. You're asking about the time leading up to the transfer. Can't help you there, unfortunately. I guess I would wonder how long it remains in your system if taken for a while leading up to transfer.

FWIW, yoga helped me a lot with the cramps. But if you aren't into the yoga thing, that isn't very helpful!

Last edited by elseeG on June 13th, 2011, 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous
Anonymous

June 13th, 2011, 3:35 am #6

I have a prescription for valium to take as needed, which is not very often. I will ask the RE If there is a problem with pre-cycle benzos once in a while.I prefer valium to xanax and am interested why they seem to prefer valium for transfers over other drugs that are similar.

June 13th, 2011, 2:27 pm #7

Asking your RE is definitely the way to go. As I understand it, they give valium on transfer day not so much for anxiety as to relax the uterus. (In my case, my mock transfer had been extremely painful, and even with the valium on transfer day there was some discomfort--not to scare you--other people seem to feel nothing.)

Back in December, when we were on a break trying to decide about DE, I was having anxiety and insomnia and my GP prescribed a low dose of klonopin (another benzo), which he said was safe even during pg. I no longer believe him about that. As we started this cycle, I mentioned it to the IVF nurse and asked when I should stop taking it, she said, "umm, now!" I was only using it occasionally, so it wasn't a problem for me. It's just unsettling that there is disagreement among doctors about what is safe. Also, it seems that there are things that are safe after the first trimester but not earlier.

Good luck