Question about unproven donor

Question about unproven donor

SMRC
SMRC

July 14th, 2011, 10:55 am #1

Hi there - I am new to this board and have posted only once previously about my DH's poor SCSA test, to which I received extremely helpful feedback, so thank you!!

We have been inching towards DE, and finally completed our forms at CRMI last week. To my surprise, I got a call from CRMI yesterday with an excellent match. The donor meets most (if not all) of our requirements and we are strongly leaning towards proceeding, even though this is happening fast.

The donor is 28 and in excellent health, but unproven. Has anyone on this board proceeded with an unproven donor? What else can I ask/require to do all that I can to rule out any possibility that she will be a poorer responder, etc? My understanding is that CRMI does not run CD2/3 tests to check for levels? Is this just a leap of faith? Are we better doing a shared cycle in case she is a poorer responder so we're not putting all of our $ in one basket, or should we be pushing for a non-shared cycle so that we "get" all she's got?

Sorry if this is not the most lucid post - I did not sleep much last night! We have 24 more hours to decide.

TIA

thesameboat
thesameboat

July 14th, 2011, 12:34 pm #2

I think if she seems perfect for you and is in good health, there's no reason to think she would be a poor responder. Every donor was unproven the first time...

Good luck to you!

LizLA
LizLA

July 14th, 2011, 1:15 pm #3

Hi there - I am new to this board and have posted only once previously about my DH's poor SCSA test, to which I received extremely helpful feedback, so thank you!!

We have been inching towards DE, and finally completed our forms at CRMI last week. To my surprise, I got a call from CRMI yesterday with an excellent match. The donor meets most (if not all) of our requirements and we are strongly leaning towards proceeding, even though this is happening fast.

The donor is 28 and in excellent health, but unproven. Has anyone on this board proceeded with an unproven donor? What else can I ask/require to do all that I can to rule out any possibility that she will be a poorer responder, etc? My understanding is that CRMI does not run CD2/3 tests to check for levels? Is this just a leap of faith? Are we better doing a shared cycle in case she is a poorer responder so we're not putting all of our $ in one basket, or should we be pushing for a non-shared cycle so that we "get" all she's got?

Sorry if this is not the most lucid post - I did not sleep much last night! We have 24 more hours to decide.

TIA
about this donor? What is important to you? Why CRMI think she is an excellent match?

As I understand you don't know her FSH, she has no kids and never cycle before.

Gl on any choice you make.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 14th, 2011, 1:42 pm #4

TIA
do you think it will be for you to find another donor that matches your criteria? Have you looked at other donor profiles to get an idea?
It took us almost 2 years to find our donor. She was also a first-time donor and we were lucky that the cycle worked for us, but I wish we could have started the process earlier.

Good luck!

Ariadne
Ariadne

July 14th, 2011, 1:57 pm #5

TIA
Only time for a quick post - sorry about that. We did 2 cycles with the same donor & she was unproven the 1st time. We have 1 child from each cycle.

Our donor was a lower producer but the quality was stellar. We knew going in the egg yield wouldn't be sky high, though, b/c her antral follicle count was 11-12, which my RE said was on the lower end of normal. He used an antagonist protocol rather the lupron for that reason.

H40+
H40+

July 14th, 2011, 2:12 pm #6

TIA
The only thing you can do with an unproven donor to gauge her potential response is test day 3 levels and antral follicle count. If the clinic doesn't do that, I wouldn't use her, because you have no idea at all what you're getting. It doesn't cost them anything to do that. The labs are cheap for them. I used an unproven 28 year donor and had to cancel because she was a flop. I used an unproven 21 year old donor, and that was a completely different story. She was a great performer, she produced 25 eggs, and I am 5 months along with twins and froze 11 expanded blast. Good luck.

Anonymous
Anonymous

July 14th, 2011, 2:18 pm #7

TIA
Even if your unoproven donor has a stellar medical potential, you won't know if she'll

1. comply with the drug regimen or

2. pull out at the last minute.

Both of the above have happened to friends of mine. That's why a proven donor is better!

LadyMagoo
LadyMagoo

July 14th, 2011, 2:50 pm #8

TIA
We went with a proven donor because we just didn't have the financial and emotional wherewithal to risk working with an unproven donor. Also, our RE's strong preferance was for a proven donor. A proven donor is not the same as a mother, by the way. There is not telling how a woman will respond to the meds (whether she will hyper or under stimulate), or, as another poster said, whether she will follow the instructions properly.

Are there any proven donors of interest?

July 14th, 2011, 6:10 pm #9

The only thing you can do with an unproven donor to gauge her potential response is test day 3 levels and antral follicle count. If the clinic doesn't do that, I wouldn't use her, because you have no idea at all what you're getting. It doesn't cost them anything to do that. The labs are cheap for them. I used an unproven 28 year donor and had to cancel because she was a flop. I used an unproven 21 year old donor, and that was a completely different story. She was a great performer, she produced 25 eggs, and I am 5 months along with twins and froze 11 expanded blast. Good luck.
It seems irresponsible to not do a simple Day 3 and follie check on any unproven donor let alone a 28 year old. I would pay of pocket and have the right to cancel or I would not proceed.

July 14th, 2011, 6:13 pm #10

We went with a proven donor because we just didn't have the financial and emotional wherewithal to risk working with an unproven donor. Also, our RE's strong preferance was for a proven donor. A proven donor is not the same as a mother, by the way. There is not telling how a woman will respond to the meds (whether she will hyper or under stimulate), or, as another poster said, whether she will follow the instructions properly.

Are there any proven donors of interest?
Was with a mother, but her stim cycle did not work out so well.