Question about embryos making it to freeze

Question about embryos making it to freeze

May 21st, 2012, 4:22 pm #1

I had 9 embryos going strong on day 5. Only two made it to freeze and I transferred 1.

That sounds pretty poor. Why would so few that looked good on day 5 make it to freeze?

They mentioned that they would grow them out to day 7 to determine which to freeze. Is that normal?

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

May 21st, 2012, 4:41 pm #2

I think SG is very particular about what they freeze. When I left after my day 5 transfer, I had three remaining blastocysts. The RE said two look very good and had a good chance of making it to freeze and the third he was doubtful about. The two that looked good looked so good that he did not want to risk transferring a second one. I was shocked when I rec'd the call four days later saying none of them made it to freeze.

smrc
smrc

May 21st, 2012, 6:09 pm #3

I had 9 embryos going strong on day 5. Only two made it to freeze and I transferred 1.

That sounds pretty poor. Why would so few that looked good on day 5 make it to freeze?

They mentioned that they would grow them out to day 7 to determine which to freeze. Is that normal?
at C.ornell on my last cycle.

Of 11 fertilized embies remaining, only 3 made it to freeze (frozen on day 6 I believe). 2 survived the thaw. On the positive side, what did make it to freeze should be the "cream of the crop".

At the time of freezing (when I was disappointed about the #s similar to you), I was told that very few people at C.ornell make it to freeze at all.

May 21st, 2012, 6:21 pm #4

From what I've read, clinics that vitrify their embryos tend to be more willing to freeze the less-than-perfect embies than those who do not, simply because vitrified embryos are more likely to survive the thaw.

My clinic switched completely to vitrification for embies on June 1st (they'd been doing eggs for a long time), and they were only late in doing it because their FET stats were so high with their previous freezing technique. With the old protocol, they would only freeze 4BB or above, but with vitrification, they'll save 3BB or above as well...

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

May 21st, 2012, 7:21 pm #5

I always had all of my embryos make it to Day 5 and I had a lot of embryos go to day 5. The first time, they froze 1. The second...two and the third time..none. At my clinic they would only freeze embryos that were fully expanded by Day 6 and were graded at least a grade 2 on Day 6 on a scale of 1-3. In their opinion, if an embie is not fully expanded by Day 6, it is an abnormal embryo. So..no..my clinic would not have waited until Day 7 to see what happens. If an embie was not fully expanded by Day 6, they would discard it.

IMHO, some clinics, especially those that do not vitrify, will not freeze embryos that otherwise should be frozen because they know that only the best will likely survive the thaw under the old freezing methods and they do not want to ruin their "thaw stats." On the other hand, you want a clinic with standards. For instance, CNY used to freeze EVERYTHING....good or bad, giving IMHO people false hope. They no longer do that thankfully.

It sounds like your clinic has standards and to me, that is a good thing. You would not want to waste your time, money and energy on FET cycles that have no chance of working out.

May 21st, 2012, 7:45 pm #6

The responses are really helping me understand. I never had any make to freeze with OE IVF and my first round with DE they froze everything left after transfer on day 3 because of a holiday break in the lab.

I have two left and both my DH and I have already decided that if we do this again its "go for bust" .

But right now I am trying to must the energy just to get through this day (beta was negative, of course.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

May 21st, 2012, 11:11 pm #7

I was so hoping those damn pee sticks were wrong. Take care of yourself.

Violet
Violet

May 21st, 2012, 11:27 pm #8

I was hoping you would get a positive too. I have been thinking of you and hoping you had success after my negative. How are you holding up?

Although i am tired and sick of it, we are organizing to do some further immune testing because the chemical pg really got me thinking that something is going on.

I thought DH would not go for it due to $ but since we have 4 blasts, we should really not use them without some more thought to this. He can see this point so I think we are going to move forward.

I called Braverman's office today in NY to set up an appt.

Hang in there and let us know if you need to talk. We understand.
Violet

May 21st, 2012, 11:43 pm #9

The responses are really helping me understand. I never had any make to freeze with OE IVF and my first round with DE they froze everything left after transfer on day 3 because of a holiday break in the lab.

I have two left and both my DH and I have already decided that if we do this again its "go for bust" .

But right now I am trying to must the energy just to get through this day (beta was negative, of course.
I, too, was hoping for the best.. Please be kind to yourself today. We're all thinking of you.
Leigh

May 21st, 2012, 11:59 pm #10

I found it too! I had 3 still going on day 5 and only 1 was frozen. But I had heard that they have very strict guidelines about what they will freeze! I have my fingers crossed they know what they are doing when it comes to that! As my one frosties is my last chance at a sibling!
All my best!
ks