Psychologist fee

Psychologist fee

Merylin
Merylin

April 14th, 2011, 5:22 am #1

We met with RE a few days ago who is requiring that DH and I do additional testing including meeting with a psychologist whom she recommended. We were shocked to hear that the psychologist's fee is $275 for 50 minutes. Seems rather steep even for Los Angeles. Is that a typical charge?

Skye
Skye

April 14th, 2011, 5:49 am #2

I think we paid $280 for our donor psych consult. It was basically a one-hour interview, but also included the time for her to write up the report to send to the RE office. So it seems fairly typical to me (one place wanted to charge me $450).

April 14th, 2011, 12:28 pm #3

We met with RE a few days ago who is requiring that DH and I do additional testing including meeting with a psychologist whom she recommended. We were shocked to hear that the psychologist's fee is $275 for 50 minutes. Seems rather steep even for Los Angeles. Is that a typical charge?
We are on the east coast and it was $250 for an hour.

April 14th, 2011, 2:41 pm #4

Charges me $175/hr., and he implied that he was giving me a break b/c I'm direct pay. I'm in the DC area. So, it wouldn't surprise me. Is your RE really insisting that you use this pshrink? And this is testing for you, not your donor? I would be really concerned about; my understanding is that some clinics require counseling to make sure prospective recipients understand all the potential issues, but it's not supposed to be an evaluation. I'll be curious to hear what others say. Maggie (in VA)

Anon
Anon

April 14th, 2011, 3:52 pm #5

the psychologist he recommended is probably a friend of his. He is helping his friend make money. It is that simple.

There is no real need for a psychological consultation. I've done several DE cycles and never consulted with a psychologist.

If an RE had asked me to see a psychologist first, I would have refused and found a different clinic.

IVF is already expensive enough, without doctors tacking on all these extra fees.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 14th, 2011, 4:30 pm #6

Done at a well known clinic, in house psychologist.

Donor was allowed to have her eval elsewhere, but we did ours at the clinic while there for pretesting.

Anon
Anon

April 14th, 2011, 6:02 pm #7

the psychologist he recommended is probably a friend of his. He is helping his friend make money. It is that simple.

There is no real need for a psychological consultation. I've done several DE cycles and never consulted with a psychologist.

If an RE had asked me to see a psychologist first, I would have refused and found a different clinic.

IVF is already expensive enough, without doctors tacking on all these extra fees.
I couldn't agree more. All the clinics in my area demanded a psych consult, which I found paternalistic and insulting. The only reason they gave for demanding one was to make sure we had "thought through the fact that we'd using foreign genetic material." But they don't do psych consults for women using anon donor sperm...which I found interesting. I was furious that I had to take an hour of my day to have them lecture me on the imporatance of being up front with offspring about the fact that we are using donor egg. I'm "no tell" and had to pay for an hour of how wrong the "no tell" policy is. I "yessed" them to death and nodded, and let me tell you , it was a hard job doing so....

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 14th, 2011, 6:02 pm #8

adoption NOT mentioned actually...nt

April 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm #9

Ours was around 200 or 250 as well. But what I wanted to say is she was amazing. Not trying to see if we were OK for DE but wanted to make sure we had all the info we needed and had thought about all the issues involved. She helped us avoid surprises. Ours specialized in this and had written about it so it might be unusual, but I thought she was well worth the money.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 14th, 2011, 7:13 pm #10

No lectures or discussion of tell-vs-no-tell, it was not a test of our ability to be parents, etc., just empathy about the stress of the process, taking time out for ourselves, it was easy to talk about because we had been through so much already including a DE child from another clinic.

I have been with a DE clinic that never required a psych consult, so when the new clinic wanted one as part of the required screening I thought it was unnecessary but if that was the way they did things, I wasn't going to argue.