I am on my 5th progesterone shot, and have been experience alot of pain/bruising. It is worst at night when I go to sleep. I am concerned also, that I am not injecting in the correct spot. Seems like everyone draws a different circle among nurses. Can anyone give me some guidelines, I need to aim for upper outer quad of buttock. When I pull back the syringe with PIO, it is very easy, does that mean I am not in the muscle. It was very hard to pullback the 1ml syringe with delestrogen, it just wouldnt budge. But the 3ml PIO syringe easily comes back, is that normal. I am injecting in the circle that they draw. Just looking for your feedback. Thanks!!
syringe as it has a greater sized plunger and can produce more suction than smaller size syringes for a given needle size (at least that my theory). Also different brand of syringes are better than others in the way they draw.
My tips for painless (almost) POI and Delestrogen shots):
- Warm the poi or delestrogen in your bra or pocket for at least ten minutes. Warming reduces the viscosity and makes it easier to inject.
- Meanwhile ice your outer upper quadrant of your butt cheek for at least ten minutes. When you can't feel your cheek, your ready to inject.
- DO NOT forget to change out the 18g needle for drawing up the POI for the 22 gauge needle. An 18 g needle causes a lot of tissue damage and should not be used for giving the shot. (I read a post a while back about a gal who was doing that - OW!)
-I get a lot less bruising when my DH does the injection and I can lie down for it. It allows the muscle to more completely relax.
- After injecting, gently massage the area and/or walk around to help distribute the POI.
- I have heard of people using a heating pad after but that has not seemed to help me.
-The closer to your center line (your spine) the greater the number of nerves so always try to inject on the outer "hip-butt" area. But always alternate injection location form side to side.
I hope that helps.