Progesterone Shots

Progesterone Shots

April 22nd, 2012, 6:29 pm #1

Hi

I am on my 5th progesterone shot, and have been experience alot of pain/bruising. It is worst at night when I go to sleep. I am concerned also, that I am not injecting in the correct spot. Seems like everyone draws a different circle among nurses. Can anyone give me some guidelines, I need to aim for upper outer quad of buttock. When I pull back the syringe with PIO, it is very easy, does that mean I am not in the muscle. It was very hard to pullback the 1ml syringe with delestrogen, it just wouldnt budge. But the 3ml PIO syringe easily comes back, is that normal. I am injecting in the circle that they draw. Just looking for your feedback. Thanks!!

April 22nd, 2012, 7:44 pm #2

syringe as it has a greater sized plunger and can produce more suction than smaller size syringes for a given needle size (at least that my theory). Also different brand of syringes are better than others in the way they draw.

My tips for painless (almost) POI and Delestrogen shots):

- Warm the poi or delestrogen in your bra or pocket for at least ten minutes. Warming reduces the viscosity and makes it easier to inject.
- Meanwhile ice your outer upper quadrant of your butt cheek for at least ten minutes. When you can't feel your cheek, your ready to inject.
- DO NOT forget to change out the 18g needle for drawing up the POI for the 22 gauge needle. An 18 g needle causes a lot of tissue damage and should not be used for giving the shot. (I read a post a while back about a gal who was doing that - OW!)
-I get a lot less bruising when my DH does the injection and I can lie down for it. It allows the muscle to more completely relax.
- After injecting, gently massage the area and/or walk around to help distribute the POI.
- I have heard of people using a heating pad after but that has not seemed to help me.
-The closer to your center line (your spine) the greater the number of nerves so always try to inject on the outer "hip-butt" area. But always alternate injection location form side to side.

I hope that helps.

minniet
minniet

April 22nd, 2012, 9:53 pm #3

Hi

I am on my 5th progesterone shot, and have been experience alot of pain/bruising. It is worst at night when I go to sleep. I am concerned also, that I am not injecting in the correct spot. Seems like everyone draws a different circle among nurses. Can anyone give me some guidelines, I need to aim for upper outer quad of buttock. When I pull back the syringe with PIO, it is very easy, does that mean I am not in the muscle. It was very hard to pullback the 1ml syringe with delestrogen, it just wouldnt budge. But the 3ml PIO syringe easily comes back, is that normal. I am injecting in the circle that they draw. Just looking for your feedback. Thanks!!
My last PIOs, the first two nearly killed me. They were a more highly concentrated form (100 per something), requiring half the amount to be injected -- 1cc. When I changed to the lower concentration of 50 per whatever, and 2ccs to inject, all was fine again. Maybe you could check that.

Otherwise, there is a pretty wide range of where you can shoot - if you are in the wrong spot, you will FEEL it right away. It will hurt. That's the main concern, not whether you are getting it into your bloodstream.

Katie Robins
Katie Robins

April 23rd, 2012, 3:31 am #4

Hi

My favorite trick (if you are not lying down) is to stand on the opposite leg of the cheek you are injecting and unweight the buttocks muscle before injecting. I never did my own shots, but my husband couldn't do them either, so I relied on friends and neighbors for 12 weeks. Good luck. It is worth it in the end.

April 23rd, 2012, 6:08 am #5

I live very near my clinic and I go in for mine, but we only use the bigger PIO dupot shots that you have to take 2-3 times a week here.

Sorry I have no advice but good luck to the op.