PLEASE READ.....Need ADVICE!!!!!!!!.....................

PLEASE READ.....Need ADVICE!!!!!!!!.....................

Anon4this
Anon4this

May 4th, 2012, 2:35 pm #1

What would you do? I am in the middle pretty painful arthritis flare...my new rheumy wants to start me on methotrexate to stop progression of joint damage and reduce pain & inflammation, need to be on this medication for awhile and it takes 6-12 weeks to take full affect...

my high risk obgyn said NO WAY to this medicine because it causes miscarriages and serious birth defects he says if I decide to take methotrexate my ttc baby days are basically over!!! He says it takes awhile to get this med in then out of your system and since I am already in my upper 40's my time is limited!!!!

dh & I was exploring surrogate and/or adoption because of some health issues with me BUT the thought of NOT being able to ever think about getting pregnant is freaking me out!!!

by the way I have frozen embryos

PLEASE GIVE ME ALL YOUR OPINIONS & ADVICE!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Violet
Violet

May 4th, 2012, 3:01 pm #2

Like Chinese medicine or supplements, reiki or another mode of healing?
Just trying to think outside of the box.
I am sorry. I am sure you are freaking out. I would be too.
Violet

May 4th, 2012, 3:30 pm #3

What would you do? I am in the middle pretty painful arthritis flare...my new rheumy wants to start me on methotrexate to stop progression of joint damage and reduce pain & inflammation, need to be on this medication for awhile and it takes 6-12 weeks to take full affect...

my high risk obgyn said NO WAY to this medicine because it causes miscarriages and serious birth defects he says if I decide to take methotrexate my ttc baby days are basically over!!! He says it takes awhile to get this med in then out of your system and since I am already in my upper 40's my time is limited!!!!

dh & I was exploring surrogate and/or adoption because of some health issues with me BUT the thought of NOT being able to ever think about getting pregnant is freaking me out!!!

Hi, do you have rheumatoid arthritis? Even if it's not, if your arthritis is this severe, it poses a lot of questions for being pregnant. I'm guessing it is, because while I'm having to educate myself on the fly here, it sounds as though methotrexate is only used for a small subset of osteoarthritis patients (?).

Anyway, as you know, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, so that raises the specter of immune problems that might interfere with your getting pregnant and carrying successfully. Have you had immune testing? I realize it's controversial, but there are an awful lot of women here who feel that immune treatment is what made the difference between successful and unsuccessful cycles. You don't mention your ttc history, but have you had a lot of failed cycles, OE or DE?

Second, I was pg in my late forties, too, and I have mild osteoarthritis. So, I can tell you, adding forty pounds or so to your body is a definite stressor on your joints. In addition, I developed edema late in pregnancy, while led to my getting peripheral neuropathy in my feet (as well as CTS in my hands). The CTS resolved, but the peripheral neuropathy never has totally, and when combined with the arthritis, it can make life pretty unpleasant. So you need to think really hard about whether carrying a lot of extra weight is going to be manageable for you.

Finally, I agree about researching alternative therapies, and I'm a bit reserved on them (not that I don't use any). In your situation, I don't think you have anything to lose. Methotrexate is pretty nasty stuff independent of your desire to ttc. But you also will need your joints to be in good shape to handle the rigors of new motherhood.

I'm sorry you're getting such difficult news. Using a GC is a huge expense if it comes down to it, but at least you have frosties.

{{Hugs}}

Maggie (in VA)

thesameboat
thesameboat

May 4th, 2012, 4:54 pm #4

Can you find out what meds you can take to treat your arthritis that can also be used to treat immune issues in women ttc. It might actually be beneficial for your ttc. Can you ask first for a list of alternative meds that could be used for the arthritis and then consult a reproductive immunologist (or even ask for a poll here on what meds women have used) and try to kill 2 birds with one stone.

May 4th, 2012, 5:22 pm #5

Hi, do you have rheumatoid arthritis? Even if it's not, if your arthritis is this severe, it poses a lot of questions for being pregnant. I'm guessing it is, because while I'm having to educate myself on the fly here, it sounds as though methotrexate is only used for a small subset of osteoarthritis patients (?).

Anyway, as you know, rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease, so that raises the specter of immune problems that might interfere with your getting pregnant and carrying successfully. Have you had immune testing? I realize it's controversial, but there are an awful lot of women here who feel that immune treatment is what made the difference between successful and unsuccessful cycles. You don't mention your ttc history, but have you had a lot of failed cycles, OE or DE?

Second, I was pg in my late forties, too, and I have mild osteoarthritis. So, I can tell you, adding forty pounds or so to your body is a definite stressor on your joints. In addition, I developed edema late in pregnancy, while led to my getting peripheral neuropathy in my feet (as well as CTS in my hands). The CTS resolved, but the peripheral neuropathy never has totally, and when combined with the arthritis, it can make life pretty unpleasant. So you need to think really hard about whether carrying a lot of extra weight is going to be manageable for you.

Finally, I agree about researching alternative therapies, and I'm a bit reserved on them (not that I don't use any). In your situation, I don't think you have anything to lose. Methotrexate is pretty nasty stuff independent of your desire to ttc. But you also will need your joints to be in good shape to handle the rigors of new motherhood.

I'm sorry you're getting such difficult news. Using a GC is a huge expense if it comes down to it, but at least you have frosties.

{{Hugs}}

Maggie (in VA)
I have osteo though, but there are some diets and supplements that are very helpful to arthritis. It means making a commitment to changing some of your dietary and lifestyle habits.

No sugar or refined carbs - these contribute to inflammation and can cause immune reactions starting in the gut, which then affect the entire system.

Exercise daily. With rheumatoid arthritis, you may want to start with something very gentle like swimming or yoga.

Omega 3 with Vit E in doses upwards of 2 grams per day (this helps tremendously).

Wobenzym, an enzyme compound, is used widely in Europe (where it has also been studied extensively) to treat arthritis. It also helped me a lot.

In the U.S., there is a strong reliance on pharmaceuticals, leading people to believe there are no other or no better options. That's not true.

I agree with the others that the autoimmune nature of rheumatoid arthritis can affect your ability to get pregnant. Dr. Beers used to treat such women with anti arthritis medications but these can have dangerous side effects depending on dosage and length of use. Not saying they wouldn't be worth a try, but I would sure go the natural route FIRST.

There are some very good publications on arthritis that cover dietary and lifestyle changes as well as supplements.
Last edited by biogal on May 4th, 2012, 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 9:29 pm #6

I think it comes down to what's more important to you personally. If the end result of a baby in your arms is what you are looking for, perhaps a surro might be the better, if not preferred option, so that you can also be comfortable and potentially pain free.

Having said that, I'm speaking without bias. If it was me, this would be a heart breaking decision. I'm so sad for you that you have to make this decision, above and beyond the fact that you are possibly using DE?

Perhaps looking into alternative medicines would be my first step as mentioned above, to see if you can have the best of both worlds, but yes, a pregnancy would definitely add more stress on your joints.

I'll be thinking of you.
Hugs.

Anon4this
Anon4this

May 7th, 2012, 1:33 pm #7

to take a lower dose medication for my arthritis that is also safe in the first & second trimester of pregnancy....

rheumy and high risk obgyn want to see how I respond and if feeling better with the meds will give the green light to cycle again...

please send some positive thoughts my way...Thank you again for all the advice!!