PIO=ouch!

PIO=ouch!

May 11th, 2011, 11:36 am #1

Am I supposed to have red welts? So far I've taken 2 shots. Both were not at all painful until the next morning. Last night I did the heating pad/massage after and felt fine. I'm wondering if I could be having a reaction to the ethyl olate? My transfer is tomorrow so I'm going to have my RE look at my lovely red welts on my tush. Has anyone had this problem? How about using ThermaCare heat wraps-would that help as well? Just venting, not complaining. The end result will be worth it!!

macphee
macphee

May 11th, 2011, 11:56 am #2

ethyl oleate was the only one that worked for me. My reaction w/ above was a rash that traveled beyond the injection site and itching

May 11th, 2011, 12:04 pm #3

Am I supposed to have red welts? So far I've taken 2 shots. Both were not at all painful until the next morning. Last night I did the heating pad/massage after and felt fine. I'm wondering if I could be having a reaction to the ethyl olate? My transfer is tomorrow so I'm going to have my RE look at my lovely red welts on my tush. Has anyone had this problem? How about using ThermaCare heat wraps-would that help as well? Just venting, not complaining. The end result will be worth it!!
I'm sure the nurse will give you a different one...

SamanthaL
SamanthaL

May 11th, 2011, 1:17 pm #4

I've had it all, itchy warm red area, bruises and those lovely lumps. Are you giving them to your self? I felt it was better when my husband gave them to me. For me, it's about the angle. If I give them to myself, the shot goes in on an angle. If my husband does them he goes straight in.

I've found it helps to massage... firmly!

May 11th, 2011, 1:23 pm #5

My husband has a huge needle phobia so I am trying to spare him the agony! But I may have to have him do it. I think that, no matter what I do, I just tighten up that muscle. Did you, or any of you, have that lingering soreness? Has anyone tried Icy Hot or something like that to ease the soreness throughout the day?

SamanthaL
SamanthaL

May 11th, 2011, 2:55 pm #6

Some shots made me sore, for days yet some I wasn't sore at all. It was never enough for me to consider icy hot or anything like that though.

SamanthaL
SamanthaL

May 11th, 2011, 2:56 pm #7

My husband has a huge needle phobia so I am trying to spare him the agony! But I may have to have him do it. I think that, no matter what I do, I just tighten up that muscle. Did you, or any of you, have that lingering soreness? Has anyone tried Icy Hot or something like that to ease the soreness throughout the day?
Some shots made me sore, for days yet some I wasn't sore at all. It was never enough for me to consider icy hot or anything like that though.

May 11th, 2011, 3:34 pm #8

AEK,
The nurse at RE's office recommended Sarna creme for pain and itching. It helps a little if you apply it often. You should be able to find this in most drug stores. Also, it helps to warm the oil up before you use it. I typically stick the bottle in my bra or under my arm for 10 minutes it seems to make the oil a little thinner. (The entire bottle gets cleaned with an aclohol pad before drawing the needle so it isn't as gross as it sounds.)

I'm currently 12 weeks pg with twins so I've been doing my own PIO shots for about 13 weeks now. I've had welts, itchy skin, and lumps and bumps the entire time. Although DH doesn't mind giving me the shot, he takes too long and makes me anxious by saying things like "are you ready" and "I'm gonna count to 3." I save time and my sanity by doing them myself.

I'm just starting to wean off PIO and only need shots every third day now.

This is small potatoes considering everything else most of us have been through. You can do it...it is worth it.

Scrapfoo

K
K

May 11th, 2011, 4:46 pm #9

PIO in sesame was fine. The ethyl oliate have me a huge hard red got lump on the area. I hurt to touch at all. I would switch asap !!!!!!!!! GL

May 11th, 2011, 5:36 pm #10

Lots of great advice! Some I've tried-some new. Either way it is so good to know I'm not having some freak reaction! Sometimes I feel like a wussy even talking about having pain. So many others are going through such worse things, yet, here I am being a baby (no pun intended) about this. Long and short of it-thank you and I'm grateful to have a place to toss these things around without judgement. Bless you all!!