Phone consult at SG on Monday . . . tips?

Phone consult at SG on Monday . . . tips?

August 4th, 2012, 2:33 pm #1

We have our phone consult with our doctor at SG on Monday. Any idea what I should talk about? I am not usually a phone person - more an in-person person but I know the phone consult is part of the process. Is there anything I should ask specifically? Have on hand? Technical questions???

Thanks in advance!!

August 4th, 2012, 6:54 pm #2

Hi Rebekah,

I'm with SG. As a whole, I'm happy very with them, but I've had a few bumps. (My first cycle was cancelled b/c the donor in the 1:3 program only produced enough eggs for one recipient. Right now, one BFN and 4 months later, I'm needing a minor procedure before I can move on to try my frosties, and SG's OR is backed up because of one of their anesthesiologists breaking an arm. I understand unforeseen things happen everywhere, but it has cost me a transfer date and now we have another month+ of waiting, which is very hard to take.) Those frustratons aside, I like my doctor a lot (Mottla in the Annapolis office) and nurse and find the whole operation efficient and friendly.

Anyway, I got out the question list I developed (with assistance from this forum) when I was interviewing clinics last year:

1. How many transfers do they do a year?
2. How many resulted in pregnancy? (as defined by heartbeat by ultrasound at 6-7 weeks)
3. Donors
o In-house donors: how large is donor pool? fresh or frozen?
o Agency donors: fresh or frozen
o Shared donor program? How long usually wait for other recipients to share?
4. Shared risk programs?
Eligibility for shared risk program?
Money back guarantee: for take home baby or certain stage of pg? how define success?
How is cost affected if use agency donor?
5. How find exact amount will pay?
6. What is their standard protocol for donor? Standard protocol for recipients? What tweaks do they do to the protocol if it is not successful?
7. What is their egg freezing technique for FETs? Success rates? If you do fresh DE with them and are not successful, will they do the FET for reduced cost?
Do they vitrify or slow-freeze leftover embryos?
a. Vitrification is a quick-freeze method that results in pregnancy rates that are comparable to fresh transfers.
b. The conventional, slow freeze method results in crystals that can damage the embies when being thawed.
8. Do they do genetic testing on the embryos? If so, which method?
a. PGD is the older method - a select number of chromosome pairs are tested for abnormalities. CGH tests all 23 pairs.
b. "We did CGH - only 55% of the embryos were genetically healthy - and this was with a 28 year old, proven donor." (a lady from this board shared this)
9. Follow up appts:
o when needed to come to clinic?
o Collaborate with a clinic near us?

Good luck!

Anonymous
Anonymous

August 4th, 2012, 8:30 pm #3

I started out with Shady Grove and found their staff to be terrific. My two cents - I wouldn't waste the doctor's time with questions about their programs. They have tons of literature that explains it all very well and have staff in each of their programs there to help you out. You'll meet with the egg donor coordinator who is very knowledgeable about that program - probably with more detail than the doctors. I loved Dr. O'Brien in their main office.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

August 4th, 2012, 9:01 pm #4

We have our phone consult with our doctor at SG on Monday. Any idea what I should talk about? I am not usually a phone person - more an in-person person but I know the phone consult is part of the process. Is there anything I should ask specifically? Have on hand? Technical questions???

Thanks in advance!!
I participated in the 3:1 guarantee program and had success on first try and I'm currently 21 weeks. I found the communication and coordination for out of state cyclers very efficient. It was actually easier than dealing with my local clinic. They have it down to a science. At one point I needed to travel unexpectedly to another state and needed monitoring and they arranged it at another clinic for me with just a couple of days notice. In terms of the phone consult it was pretty brief, only about 10 minutes. Have a list of all your recent testing dates and results available to review with MD. He/she will let you know what add'l testing or retesting may be needed. I would be prepared to discuss and ask questions about any specific issues you have which may affect your ability to get and stay pregnant. My RE was Dr. Sagoskin and his nurse Pam C was excellent. The out of town liaison, Lisa Schnap was great as well at the DE coordinator Katie. Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

August 5th, 2012, 10:26 pm #5

Thanks in advance!!
These are great ladies! Thanks! The questions and suggestions definitely gave me food for thought. We are attempting to arrange our in person visit before Sept 15 since our pre-approval for our loan expires then - it's not a big deal just would prefer not another hit on running our credit.

We attended the information session in Phila this year. Lisa just let me know that they would be opening an office in Phila in Sept for all ultrasounds and bloodwork. I feel so grateful where I live - it's a gift for sure.

I think most of my questions will be geared towards IVF since we never got to do a transfer or retrieval - I have a lack of experience on that. We are only transferring one - ever - but I do have questions re ICSI.

You guys are rock stars - thanks!!

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

August 6th, 2012, 2:16 am #6

Hi Rebekah,

I'm with SG. As a whole, I'm happy very with them, but I've had a few bumps. (My first cycle was cancelled b/c the donor in the 1:3 program only produced enough eggs for one recipient. Right now, one BFN and 4 months later, I'm needing a minor procedure before I can move on to try my frosties, and SG's OR is backed up because of one of their anesthesiologists breaking an arm. I understand unforeseen things happen everywhere, but it has cost me a transfer date and now we have another month+ of waiting, which is very hard to take.) Those frustratons aside, I like my doctor a lot (Mottla in the Annapolis office) and nurse and find the whole operation efficient and friendly.

Anyway, I got out the question list I developed (with assistance from this forum) when I was interviewing clinics last year:

2. How many resulted in pregnancy? (as defined by heartbeat by ultrasound at 6-7 weeks)
3. Donors
4. Shared risk programs?
Money back guarantee: for take home baby or certain stage of pg? how define success?
6. What is their standard protocol for donor? Standard protocol for recipients? What tweaks do they do to the protocol if it is not successful?
7. What is their egg freezing technique for FETs? Success rates? If you do fresh DE with them and are not successful, will they do the FET for reduced cost?
a. Vitrification is a quick-freeze method that results in pregnancy rates that are comparable to fresh transfers.
b. The conventional, slow freeze method results in crystals that can damage the embies when being thawed.
a. PGD is the older method - a select number of chromosome pairs are tested for abnormalities. CGH tests all 23 pairs.
b. "We did CGH - only 55% of the embryos were genetically healthy - and this was with a 28 year old, proven donor." (a lady from this board shared this)
9. Follow up appts:

Good luck!
Great List!!!! (n/t)

futurebeauty
futurebeauty

August 6th, 2012, 2:17 am #7

These are great ladies! Thanks! The questions and suggestions definitely gave me food for thought. We are attempting to arrange our in person visit before Sept 15 since our pre-approval for our loan expires then - it's not a big deal just would prefer not another hit on running our credit.

We attended the information session in Phila this year. Lisa just let me know that they would be opening an office in Phila in Sept for all ultrasounds and bloodwork. I feel so grateful where I live - it's a gift for sure.

I think most of my questions will be geared towards IVF since we never got to do a transfer or retrieval - I have a lack of experience on that. We are only transferring one - ever - but I do have questions re ICSI.

You guys are rock stars - thanks!!
I hope everything goes smoothly for you Rebekah and I like the list the one of the PP posted.

Good Luck,

FB

August 9th, 2012, 12:20 am #8

Hi Rebekah,

3. Donors
4. Shared risk programs?
9. Follow up appts:

Good luck!
I am a SGF patient as well. In your first visit there you will get so much information...all of these questions will be answered. And if they aren't, they are always willing to call or email to be sure that you get your answers. I have emailed my doctor a few times and always get an email right back...when I call, he always returns my call that day.

I actually just picked my donor today. Having to go through this process is incredibly hard for anyone. Know that you are in good hands. Expect that there will be setbacks but just hold tight to the vision of holding your little one in your arms someday, however that may be.