Out of town monitoring

Out of town monitoring

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

October 13th, 2011, 8:03 pm #1

I called Boston IVF to inquire about OOT monitoring costs. They charge $250 for each u/s and $150 for each blood test. This seems outrageous to me. I was trying to avoid going back to my old clinic. When I was a patient the charge was 105 for an E2 and 70 for a P4 and I think $180 for u/s. Not sure if they would charge me more for monitoring for another clinic. I might need to go there if I get desperate. Ticks me off. They accidentally billed my insurance on multiple occasions when I was self pay and the insurance paid like $32 for E2 and around $60 for u/s. Anyone from Massachusetts have experience with using a clinic for OOT monitoring and get a better price? I have a call in to a smaller infertility practice at a local hospital and will also ask my gyn. At those prices it might be cheaper to get a flight back and forth to SG for monitoring. SW has flights for $59 each way. any input appreciated.

Anonymous
Anonymous

October 13th, 2011, 8:24 pm #2

Hoping your GYN can do it.

October 13th, 2011, 8:29 pm #3

I called Boston IVF to inquire about OOT monitoring costs. They charge $250 for each u/s and $150 for each blood test. This seems outrageous to me. I was trying to avoid going back to my old clinic. When I was a patient the charge was 105 for an E2 and 70 for a P4 and I think $180 for u/s. Not sure if they would charge me more for monitoring for another clinic. I might need to go there if I get desperate. Ticks me off. They accidentally billed my insurance on multiple occasions when I was self pay and the insurance paid like $32 for E2 and around $60 for u/s. Anyone from Massachusetts have experience with using a clinic for OOT monitoring and get a better price? I have a call in to a smaller infertility practice at a local hospital and will also ask my gyn. At those prices it might be cheaper to get a flight back and forth to SG for monitoring. SW has flights for $59 each way. any input appreciated.
Most clinics won't cooperate at all with overseas cycles, so we typically get our GP or OB/GYN to monitor. Now, my GP would have had to write an order to a local radiology clinic for a U/S, but at the time, my Czech clinic wanted DE patients to arrive on ER day for a lining check, so I didn't need one stateside till my first OB appointment. On my first cycle, my OB/GYN office performed my first lining check, and she charged me $200 in 2009. I can't remember what BW was. If you don't use a fertility clinic, though, I found out the hard way that you need to ask the tech to mark tests "stat" or you'll be waiting forever. Take care, Maggie (in VA)

October 13th, 2011, 11:05 pm #4

from my clinic with old codes on it. The codes were 626.4 for menstrual irregularity. If you have an OB/Gyn that can help you out, the codes can be used for US and BW and the insurance will pay. You can type up a list of what you need and write the code next to it and tell your OB/Gyn that you need these tests and you have included codes. It is worth a try.

anonymous
anonymous

October 14th, 2011, 12:35 am #5

I did my DE in SG, currently 9 weeks pregnant. I did my b/w at Quest Diagnostic, I could use labcorp but they are not prefered lab for my insurance. I called a few infertility clinics, CHR agreed to do the u/s for me, the code they used is infertility diagnose so insurance also pay for it, all I need to pay is co-pay or co-insurance. If you can find an infertility clinic to do the u/s, your OB ,a hospital or a radiology center would be a good choice.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

October 14th, 2011, 12:43 pm #6

She said no problem she will do another HSG. She was very nice and said she would do whatever she could to help me so I'll ask about b/w and u/s when I see her for HSG. Thanks for all your advice.

anonymous
anonymous

October 14th, 2011, 1:08 pm #7

You need to do b/w in Quest or LabCorp, since SG want result back on the same day. OB can't do b/w, she/he can only draw your blood and send it to one of these labs, so result will come back in a few days.

anonymous
anonymous

October 14th, 2011, 3:52 pm #8

you need to make sure they can get the testing done quickly enough, i.e. in a few hours. some quest sites aren't that quick w/ saturday or sunday testing or don't draw blood at all on weekend. hospitals are best for that and are happy to take your money at the standard charge. you do need to speak w/ them in advance to find out when they run tests and how quickly they can report results. as posters have said insurance may pay w/ creative coding and even w/ regular coding if your coverage is w/ an HMO and their gatekeeping just looks to preapprove big ticket procedures like transfers, retrievals and meds. small stuff like ultrasounds bloodwork just sails through the claims process.

quest can fax result to you at the same time which is nice and if you have access to a private fax machine. the results can come at 1 in the morning so a work one might work if you are the first one in the door in the a.m. obviously can be risky.

i would ask your former clinic which will likely understand that cost is the reason you've moved to SG. they should want to help you.

October 14th, 2011, 4:18 pm #9

She said no problem she will do another HSG. She was very nice and said she would do whatever she could to help me so I'll ask about b/w and u/s when I see her for HSG. Thanks for all your advice.
form and get my own results. Make sure that the lab you use is able to go your tests stat. I had them faxed to my clinic, but also had them faxed to me. I always checked about two hours after the tests, to make sure they were done. I am on the west coast and the my clinic is on the east coast. I usually went in for BW at 5:30 to 6:00 am. Most other types of labs are not open this early, but my hospital lab was for STAT patients. Talk directly with the lab staff, to make sure they can perform the tests STAT. It helps to have a good relationship with the lab people, get to know their names.

We don't have Lab Corp and Quest was not able to do Progesterone STAT.

Last edited by Kacee56 on October 14th, 2011, 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.