Only one embryo made it to blast?

Only one embryo made it to blast?

July 27th, 2012, 12:24 pm #1

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.....We are scheduled for a day 5 transfer later this morning. As of day 3, we were told we had 5 thriving embryos that all looked fantastic (from the 8 eggs that we received). I just got a call from my doctor a few minutes ago saying that the development of all of one of the embryos had slowed down between yesterday and this morning, and they are "not looking good".
However, he said that based on the quality of the one thriving embryo, that he would have recommended only transferring one anyway - but - I'm completely perplexed? How does it make any sense that when using my OE, at age 36 through 38, we always had at least 5 or 6 thriving highly rated embryos on day 5 and always had some left to freeze....and with a donor who is 23 we end up with just one? This doesn't make any sense to me? I asked our doctor about it and he didn't really have an answer - just said that we should remain optimistic about this cycle, plenty of women are successful when transferring one high quality embryo, blah blah blah. Has anyone experienced this? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

thesameboat
thesameboat

July 27th, 2012, 12:32 pm #2

It could be either a sperm or an egg problem. Is the egg donor proven? What about the sperm? If it's from your DH, has he fathered a child before? If it's donor sperm, was the donor proven?

I am so sorry. I would definitely never use this donor again.

My first DE experience we insisted on PGD, thinking it would increase our odds. We had ONE embryo that didn't have chromosomal problems. I didn't get pregnant from that embryo, but that doesn't mean your chances are less. (I had immune issues and ended up going through several donors and transfers and embryos before finding success.) We used PGD with our second donor, too, and only one embryo had chromosomal problems, so we stopped insisting on it with future donors, since we realized the problems with the first donor were most likely with the egg donor and not with the sperm.

I hope this one little embryo turns out to be the best thing that ever happened to you. Fingers are crossed.

July 27th, 2012, 2:11 pm #3

Hi all - just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience.....We are scheduled for a day 5 transfer later this morning. As of day 3, we were told we had 5 thriving embryos that all looked fantastic (from the 8 eggs that we received). I just got a call from my doctor a few minutes ago saying that the development of all of one of the embryos had slowed down between yesterday and this morning, and they are "not looking good".
However, he said that based on the quality of the one thriving embryo, that he would have recommended only transferring one anyway - but - I'm completely perplexed? How does it make any sense that when using my OE, at age 36 through 38, we always had at least 5 or 6 thriving highly rated embryos on day 5 and always had some left to freeze....and with a donor who is 23 we end up with just one? This doesn't make any sense to me? I asked our doctor about it and he didn't really have an answer - just said that we should remain optimistic about this cycle, plenty of women are successful when transferring one high quality embryo, blah blah blah. Has anyone experienced this? Thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!
and don't know why this happened BUT a good friend of mine had just this happen and ended up with a baby girl. Another friend of mine did a one embryo transplant and had a baby girl. Don't despair -- you may be very surprised!

July 27th, 2012, 4:04 pm #4

Before my DE cycle started my RE said they would probably get at least one embryo to day five. He said there would be a good chance there would be extra embryos to freeze. But he also said not to worry if there were not any extras to freeze. He said having extras in no way would change the outcome of the one embryo they would transfer. Sometimes they have lots of extra's to freeze and sometimes they don't have any.

Try to take comfort in that. It sounds like you have a really good looking embryo. I'm wishing you luck!

Lisa
Lisa

July 27th, 2012, 7:32 pm #5

Hi,
I got 15 eggs. 10 were good enough to fertilize. They transferred one and two are in the freezer. My donor is 21. I thought I would have more to freeze too, but my clinic has strict guidelines about what to freeze. I wish you tons of luck with your transfer!!!!

Dee
Dee

July 27th, 2012, 8:03 pm #6

how they stimmed the donor? Perhaps she wasn't given enough of the injectible drugs, or perhaps she didn't take the doses correctly.

July 27th, 2012, 8:19 pm #7

I get that the stims would affect # of eggs, but I doubt they'd affect the quality--but I could be wrong.

DeeinNYC
DeeinNYC

July 27th, 2012, 8:42 pm #8

If they used the wrong protocol, it could cause bad quality eggs.

Dee
Dee

July 27th, 2012, 9:35 pm #9

I get that the stims would affect # of eggs, but I doubt they'd affect the quality--but I could be wrong.
do you know how she did on a previous cycle, or was this her first one?

KinVA
KinVA

July 28th, 2012, 3:01 am #10

Thanks for the feedback folks....In answer to some of the questions in your posts: she is an unproven donor, we used DH's sperm, who has indeed fathered a child previously, and....I have no idea what her stim protocol was. We are participating in a shared program, so I only know that the donor produced 24 eggs, and we received 8. 7 were mature, and 5 fertilized and were growing supposedly very well until day 4 - when 4 of the 5 fell behind. This morning at transfer the doctor said that the one blast looked absolutely perfect, and that she estimated a 60% chance that we'd get pregnant. That seems rather unscientific, but I'm choosing to be hopeful. She also said that they were going to keep the other embryos in culture over the weekend in hopes that they would "catch up". We'll find out on Monday whether they did so significantly enough to warrant freezing them. Not holding out much hope for that, but instead trying to concentrate on the one gorgeous embryo we transferred, and trying to stay positive.
I do plan to follow up and ask a few questions - about the donor's stim protocol....and as well, I'd like to know how the other couples fared with their 8 eggs - if they had similar results? I doubt they will tell me any of this, but I'm going to ask.
At any rate, thanks for the positive vibes! Will keep you posted. Beta is two weeks from yesterday.....