One week in daycare and already - Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease

One week in daycare and already - Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease

June 12th, 2012, 5:13 pm #1

Aka coxsakie. DD is miserable she has rash all over her body, and it is worst on her bumm. She has sores inside her mouth too. I think we'll be moving to a pacifier now.

Any suggestions? She is only 4 months old. Poor thing.

June 12th, 2012, 5:29 pm #2

How awful! So sorry to hear this, poor baby and poor mommy! There's been a few cases recently in our preschool building, but in the infant room. Must be going around. Hope she's feeling better VERY soon. Keep us updated. I'll be thinking of both of you!

June 12th, 2012, 5:40 pm #3

Aka coxsakie. DD is miserable she has rash all over her body, and it is worst on her bumm. She has sores inside her mouth too. I think we'll be moving to a pacifier now.

I'm so sorry. I hope it goes away fast.

June 12th, 2012, 8:51 pm #4

so sorry to hear that. Poor lil thing! Lots of love and hugs for both of you.

I will say, the first 6 months at the "germs" are the worst. I have noticed that the last 6 months for us have been much easier than our first. Just to give you some hope.

June 12th, 2012, 8:59 pm #5

The sores in the mouth were the worse - she couldn't feed properly and got quite hysterical. I got her to drink from a cup if I remember rightly. If she is like my DD, she will be quite miserable for a few days and need lots of cuddles and then it will go. Best of luck.

June 12th, 2012, 9:07 pm #6

I cannot even imagine going through that with a 4m old! I'm SO sorry. Hope everything heals quickly.

hugs,

sas

June 12th, 2012, 10:14 pm #7

what that rash is on DS hands. It showed up after nap today. I checked Dr. Google after reading your post and what he has looks just like the pictures for hand foot and mouth. Then I checked his feet and found spots there. None on his mouth (yet). Sorry your tiny guy is dealing with it. DS is 27 months, so not so tiny. I know it's been going around the neighborhood here. DS went to his playgroup Monday. Exposed everyone I suppose. Awesome.

June 13th, 2012, 1:37 am #8

I would want to know what the sanitizing procedure is at the daycare. If daycare providers are not washing hands frequently and using sanitizer before, during and after diaper changes its not good. I know from practice we have to gel in (use hand sanitizer) before entering a patient's room and after. We must wash our hands with soap and water after several sanitizing. We always use soap and water after dealing with stool and this is even with gloves on.

I understand these things are gonna come into a daycare arena from the outside, however by practicing good sanitary procedures it can be prevented. Toys should be washed and sanitizer daily, children should use sanitizer on a regular basis in the daycare. Your little one was given this disease I suspect by a worker, unless some other child touched sneezed or coughed on your little one.

When you visit notice if you see sanitizer in multiple area's especially near the changing table. If you notice a worker changing a diaper or handling food see if they use sanitizer. Some people are just plain nasty, I often see or hear woman leave the ladies room at work and public places and not wash their hands. I sanitize my pen and badge and watch when I am working in the hospital as part of my daily routine.

Prevention of spreading germs is...in our hands.

June 13th, 2012, 1:50 am #9

I'd be really angry if my 4 month came home with hands, foot and mouth. I think they need lessons on sanitising. I can't imagine how you feel, big hugs coming your way.

June 13th, 2012, 2:43 am #10

When Phil was getting chemo, he kept getting the sores in his mouth, giving them to me, and then Frankie got them. He was miserable. Our ped gave us a recipe for liquid children's benadryl, mylanta (I used cherry), and liquid anbesol. You'd swab it inside his mouth. Frankie loved it and he seemed to get relief. We carried it everywhere. I'll get the proportions tomorrow. He said they use this on the kid cancer patients...
Last edited by FLGal on June 13th, 2012, 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.