nurse refusing to give beta test results

nurse refusing to give beta test results

Dee
Dee

March 11th, 2011, 2:27 pm #1

I had my cycle in the Czech Republic, but since I am back in the U.S. now, I arranged to have my blood draw for the beta done at my old REs office (they also did scans for me). Today I called for the beta test results and the nurse said "your doctor in the Czech R needs to give you those results, I won't discuss it with you". I said, why can't I have my own test results? I'm the patient.

macphee
macphee

March 11th, 2011, 3:01 pm #2

there are some regs, perhaps they vary from state to state, that requires physician review?

a local lab I used said I should have doc specify on order that results can be released to patient.

Quest Diagnostics, for example can fax results to you and doc at same time. I'm not sure, however, how quickly they do HCG tests.

most of us have been around the block and know what HCG levels indicate and don't need our hand held.

nurse could be following clinic protocol or just being a jerk.

hope you get good news soon.

March 11th, 2011, 3:39 pm #3

It's unusual for a U.S. clinic to cooperate at all with a foreign cycle. The cases I know of where it happened, the patient really couldn't afford to go on with the clinic, had already spent big $$ there, and so the staff didn't feel threatened. I did have to have my P4 and beta results from my doctor's office, but her nurse gave it to me. My OB/GYN monitored me for my first cycle; GP did it for my second. FWIW, Maggie (in VA)

ks
ks

March 11th, 2011, 3:56 pm #4

I had my cycle in the Czech Republic, but since I am back in the U.S. now, I arranged to have my blood draw for the beta done at my old REs office (they also did scans for me). Today I called for the beta test results and the nurse said "your doctor in the Czech R needs to give you those results, I won't discuss it with you". I said, why can't I have my own test results? I'm the patient.
I know she could very likely be following protocol and all, but still the 2ww is long enough already!

I hope you hear news soon and I hope it is fantastic news!

Thinking of you Dee!

ks

March 11th, 2011, 4:00 pm #5

If you got your beta done at your clinic here in the States, I presume the clinic was being paid for doing the beta? If so, they should give you the results. I cycled over in the Czech Republic and my RE here did my pre-trip monitoring and the betas and u/s after.

When you arranged to have the betas done here, did they say you'd have to go through the CZ drs for the results??

And, I think she's just being a b*tch. Demand to talk to the RE.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 11th, 2011, 4:09 pm #6

I had to get the numbers from my own out-of-state RE office after the monitoring clinic faxed them over.

thesameboat
thesameboat

March 11th, 2011, 6:16 pm #7

I had no idea they could do that. I am so sorry. I cycled in the CR too but live in Germany and had no trouble calling in for my HcG levels. I think it's horrible that they're doing this to you. I hope for good numbers for you.

Dee
Dee

March 11th, 2011, 7:38 pm #8

If you got your beta done at your clinic here in the States, I presume the clinic was being paid for doing the beta? If so, they should give you the results. I cycled over in the Czech Republic and my RE here did my pre-trip monitoring and the betas and u/s after.

When you arranged to have the betas done here, did they say you'd have to go through the CZ drs for the results??

And, I think she's just being a b*tch. Demand to talk to the RE.

for the blood test. We are paying out of pocket for all this. Additionally, I have spent thousands and thousands of dollars at this clinic, as I cycled with them many times with my OE and also DE.

So, if there is a legal reason they can't give me my blood test results, then I am fine with that. However, if the nurse is just being a jerk, I am not okay with that. We've spent thousands of dollars with this RE over a period of 5 years. Our problems with infertility have paid this woman's salary that she earns at the clinic.

Also, I am polite to them always, don't tie them up on the phone, and am always on time for my appointments.

Anonymous
Anonymous

March 11th, 2011, 8:51 pm #9

technically you are not a patient of the old RE. You are a patient of the Czech clinic.

Think about it this way...if you went to Labcorp or Quest for b/w, would you expect them to release the results to you? Unless your doctor has given explicit orders to release to patient the results must first go to the ordering doctor.

It sucks big time but it's standard policy.

That said, I did monitoring with an old clinic I used to cycle with and I got them to "break the rules".

Kacee
Kacee

March 11th, 2011, 9:46 pm #10

them faxed to me. Since they are STAT, I get them right away. What lab were they done at? Call them or go there and tell them you want a copy of the results. By law, they are yours.