Need your advice

Need your advice

Zaytune
Zaytune

April 13th, 2011, 4:08 pm #1

After a long search , today I came across a donor that looks promising . It is very early and the agency is going to confirm her availability , ability to travel etc . The agency fee is reportedly 6000 and we will lose it if the donor backs out at any point in the process . Is this the usual norm . I feel they should get the fee only after a transfer , or get only a small part if things fall apart . What do you think , is this a negotiable point ? Also they have an agency lawyer that they have provided info for . Do we have to neccesarily go with their lawyer or should I get my own . How is the anonymity maintained while drafting the contract ? Will it not have our names and the name of the donor in it ? Anyone with experience , need your advice .

Brigid
Brigid

April 13th, 2011, 6:49 pm #2

I don't know about the legal aspect, but our donor fee was $5,000 for a first-time donor, would have been $7,000 for a proven donor. She received a portion of this (I think $1500?) as soon as she signed the papers, and the balence when she started the meds. If I remember correctly, she keeps the $1500 no matter what, but only keeps the other $3500 if she completes the cycle. However, if she were to complete the cycle, but have no viable eggs, she would still get the full fee, as she did her part, and it isn't her fault if it didn't work. (Nor is it our fault, but that's the way it goes.) If we were to cancel the cycle for any reason, she would get the full amount, unless we cancelled for a medical reason (such as a diagnosis of cancer) before she started her meds. Then, we would get the $3500 back, but she would still keep the $1500. Also, we have to pay for all of her meds, which we do not get back, however, if the cycle were to be canceled, we would get any unopened meds back, which we could give to another donor.

So, while we did not pay the full fee up front, the amount you paid was in line with our total.

zaytune
zaytune

April 13th, 2011, 6:56 pm #3

Thanks Brigid , this is the agency fee that I am talking about .The donor fee is separate from it , it is being negotiated , it is around 5000 ( additional depending on days of travel). My fear is that if for some reason the donor gets screened out in the screening process ( this is a first time donor ) or backs out for no reason , the agency gets to keep the 6000 which in my opinion is too much for us to suck up for an incomplete cycle for no fault of ours . I would agree for letting the agency keep some of it , but not all. They are saying that I could get a new/second donor for no additional cost , but I am Indian and they have only one Indian donor right now and I doubt they will be able to get any new ones in a reasonable time frame ( Indian donors are difficult to find ).

Anon for This
Anon for This

April 13th, 2011, 8:20 pm #4

I got my own independent lawyer and stair stepped the agency fee too. I could not afford to repeated lose agency fees if the donor backed out or did not pass screening. I was looking for unique qualities and no agency had more than one donor that I was interested in.

New2011
New2011

April 13th, 2011, 8:25 pm #5

After a long search , today I came across a donor that looks promising . It is very early and the agency is going to confirm her availability , ability to travel etc . The agency fee is reportedly 6000 and we will lose it if the donor backs out at any point in the process . Is this the usual norm . I feel they should get the fee only after a transfer , or get only a small part if things fall apart . What do you think , is this a negotiable point ? Also they have an agency lawyer that they have provided info for . Do we have to neccesarily go with their lawyer or should I get my own . How is the anonymity maintained while drafting the contract ? Will it not have our names and the name of the donor in it ? Anyone with experience , need your advice .
Different agencies have different rule. But I think most of them try to do the exact same thing, keep the agency fee and pply it to another donor. A clinic donor coordinator once advised me to make sure there are at least a couple more donors I am interested in before signing with an agency so that if one fails I can apply the fee on the other ones.

If you dont think they will have other suitable donors for you to fall back on, you should truly negotiate this part with them. My agency finally was ok with reimbursing me their fee if the donor wasnt approved by my clinic. Luckily for me it worked out fine and didnt need that guarantee.

Good luck.

zaytune
zaytune

April 13th, 2011, 8:26 pm #6

I got my own independent lawyer and stair stepped the agency fee too. I could not afford to repeated lose agency fees if the donor backed out or did not pass screening. I was looking for unique qualities and no agency had more than one donor that I was interested in.
I am working with loving donations , not sure how flexible they will be with changing the lawyer or taking part payment on the event of a cancelled cycle. 6000 for a cancelled cycle seems unfair .

Zaytune
Zaytune

April 13th, 2011, 8:29 pm #7

Different agencies have different rule. But I think most of them try to do the exact same thing, keep the agency fee and pply it to another donor. A clinic donor coordinator once advised me to make sure there are at least a couple more donors I am interested in before signing with an agency so that if one fails I can apply the fee on the other ones.

If you dont think they will have other suitable donors for you to fall back on, you should truly negotiate this part with them. My agency finally was ok with reimbursing me their fee if the donor wasnt approved by my clinic. Luckily for me it worked out fine and didnt need that guarantee.

Good luck.
I think thats what I need to bring up to them . I am waiting for them to confirm whether the donor is even avilable .I am not sure what to do if they insist on their current no return policy . After a long search I have found a donor who fulfills most of my needs .

Anon for this
Anon for this

April 13th, 2011, 9:08 pm #8

I am working with loving donations , not sure how flexible they will be with changing the lawyer or taking part payment on the event of a cancelled cycle. 6000 for a cancelled cycle seems unfair .
They have to be flexible with the attorney. You need someone independent from the agency and the donor or you won't really have a strong contract. They can take that amount out of what they charge you.

zaytune
zaytune

April 13th, 2011, 9:30 pm #9

I will talk to them about this , I feel like my back is against the wall . I really dont want to mess up my chances with a good donor for agency issues .

anon
anon

April 13th, 2011, 9:52 pm #10

I am sick over it.The donor backed out, The agency has there money. I feel like a fool. They say they want to help me find another donor. The whole reason I went with Loving Donations is because of the donor .