Lupron depot and bcp. Do they both suppress/what is relationship?

Lupron depot and bcp. Do they both suppress/what is relationship?

April 15th, 2011, 9:55 pm #1

Sorry if this is a nonsense question. I have been on bcp now for about a month and recently gave myself the lupron depot shot as per my protocol (I just do as I'm told). I have to stay on bcp for another couple of weeks. I don't understand this. If bcp suppress your ovaries, then why did I need the lupron depot shot? And if that also suppresses, then why do I have to stay on the bcp's for longer? It all strange to me.

Also, the leaflet that comes with the lupron depot shot says that it can be used to thin lining of the womb in advance of surgery and for this it is taken one month in advance of surgery. I have taken it one month in advance of the planned DE transfer, just when I will need to have a lining built up! Of course I will be taking estrogen later to help with the lining build but still, what is the point of the depot shot?

Can anyone enlighten me?

April 16th, 2011, 2:14 pm #2

I did Lupron Depot with our first three DE cycles - birth control isnt needed. You should have a withdrawal bleed in a week or so after the shot, then wait another two weeks depending on your cycle schedule to start the estrogen to build the lining. Lupron Depot just suppresses everything, so I dont understand why they'd have you continue birth control.

The side effects of the Lupron Depot can be pretty nasty for some ladies - it puts your body into what amounts to induced menopause: hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. And that can last until a few days after starting estrogen. Hmm, maybe that's why they are having you continue the birth control, the estrogen in them to ease the side effects maybe?

Lupron Depot can also over suppress the body - for me, after using it, and getting bfn, I'd have the withdrawal bleed after stopping meds, but then it would take 100+ days for my body to get back to normal, ovulate and AF return again. It can really be nasty stuff.

Hopefully it wont be so bad for you!

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges

Brigid
Brigid

April 16th, 2011, 4:46 pm #3

Sorry if this is a nonsense question. I have been on bcp now for about a month and recently gave myself the lupron depot shot as per my protocol (I just do as I'm told). I have to stay on bcp for another couple of weeks. I don't understand this. If bcp suppress your ovaries, then why did I need the lupron depot shot? And if that also suppresses, then why do I have to stay on the bcp's for longer? It all strange to me.

Also, the leaflet that comes with the lupron depot shot says that it can be used to thin lining of the womb in advance of surgery and for this it is taken one month in advance of surgery. I have taken it one month in advance of the planned DE transfer, just when I will need to have a lining built up! Of course I will be taking estrogen later to help with the lining build but still, what is the point of the depot shot?

Can anyone enlighten me?
I'm not sure what the diference is btwn. Lupron Depot and regular Lupron-- or, are they the same thing? Anyway, I took bcps and then switched to Lupron-- I don't think they overlapped, but I can't remember for sure. I took estrogen pills with the Lupron, though, and I took the last Lupron shot the day before donor's ER. Even before that, my lining was at 9-10, though, so it was fine. I am (still) on a large dose of estrogen, though. 2 pills, twice a day, plus began vaginal estrogen the day of ER. I took the bcps for 2 weeks, and then Lupron for about 2 weeks, and I did not have any bleeding when I quit (perhaps because of the estrogen). So, I think it is usual to use both bcps and Lupron, though I don't know why. I would guess the Lupron is stronger. Also, bcps do come in different dosages (as does Lupron, I suppose), so the dosage you are on may be a factor somehow.

April 16th, 2011, 8:31 pm #4

I did Lupron Depot with our first three DE cycles - birth control isnt needed. You should have a withdrawal bleed in a week or so after the shot, then wait another two weeks depending on your cycle schedule to start the estrogen to build the lining. Lupron Depot just suppresses everything, so I dont understand why they'd have you continue birth control.

The side effects of the Lupron Depot can be pretty nasty for some ladies - it puts your body into what amounts to induced menopause: hot flashes, night sweats, mood swings, etc. And that can last until a few days after starting estrogen. Hmm, maybe that's why they are having you continue the birth control, the estrogen in them to ease the side effects maybe?

Lupron Depot can also over suppress the body - for me, after using it, and getting bfn, I'd have the withdrawal bleed after stopping meds, but then it would take 100+ days for my body to get back to normal, ovulate and AF return again. It can really be nasty stuff.

Hopefully it wont be so bad for you!

Kay

" Some people built castles in the air. She constructed hers from mashed potatoes, which kept down demolition costs." Sarah Sloane, Borrowing Priviledges
It's my first time taking it. I am supposed to stop the bcp's in about 10 days and then I am told I should expect a bleed in about 4-5 days. I really hope that it works as they say it will because I'm cycling abroad and I've already booked my flights etc. I haven't had any side effects yet from the Lupron depot shot and its a few days ago now since I took it. Will just have to wait and see how it all pans out.
Thanks for responding Kay.

April 16th, 2011, 8:38 pm #5

I'm not sure what the diference is btwn. Lupron Depot and regular Lupron-- or, are they the same thing? Anyway, I took bcps and then switched to Lupron-- I don't think they overlapped, but I can't remember for sure. I took estrogen pills with the Lupron, though, and I took the last Lupron shot the day before donor's ER. Even before that, my lining was at 9-10, though, so it was fine. I am (still) on a large dose of estrogen, though. 2 pills, twice a day, plus began vaginal estrogen the day of ER. I took the bcps for 2 weeks, and then Lupron for about 2 weeks, and I did not have any bleeding when I quit (perhaps because of the estrogen). So, I think it is usual to use both bcps and Lupron, though I don't know why. I would guess the Lupron is stronger. Also, bcps do come in different dosages (as does Lupron, I suppose), so the dosage you are on may be a factor somehow.
what the difference is between it and regular Lupron. I suppose I just assumed the depot shot was stronger dose and/or longer lasting. I had to inject it intramuscular in the hip/buttocks. Not pleasant to look at the big needle but it was quite painless really when I finally got the courage to stick myself with it!

Anyway, I suppose I'll just stick with the protocol and see how we go. I'm going abroad for this cycle so perhaps when I get there, I will ask what the reasoning of using both is.

Thanks for responding Brigid.

April 16th, 2011, 10:05 pm #6

Lupron is a small daily injection taken over a few weeks span while Lupron Depot is a one time big shot that has to go into the muscle.

Kay

April 18th, 2011, 2:19 pm #7

Can anyone enlighten me?
The bcps will make your period come when you stop them so your period is guaranteed. Lupron depot will ensure no more activity in the ovaries so you can start your estrogen to build your lining with clean endometrium.

April 18th, 2011, 8:50 pm #8

That makes sense now you say it. I suppose I thought the bcp's made sure there was no activity in ovaries too, but maybe thats not true since you hear of some people who ovulate even when on bcp's. The depot shot probably guarantees the ovaries are shut down.
Thanks very much for responding.

April 21st, 2011, 8:03 pm #9

Can anyone enlighten me?
bcp SUPPRESS the ovaries, lupron SHUTS THEM DOWN, throwing you into premature menopause. A protocol that uses it is like slamming on the brakes with lupron then hitting the gas pedal hard with stims. Not all doctors do this. I HATED LUPRON. IT GAVE ME NIGHT SWEATS AND MADE ME CRAZY (I HEARD VOICES COMING OUT OF THE BATHROOM IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT.) I would ask your RE if they can suppress with bcp alone and see what they say.

Good luck.

Lisa
Age 46
Mom to DD Sarah
via DE IVF (our third attempt with 3rd donor!)
HELLP syndrome survivor!