Looking for advice on the choice of DE program or agency

Looking for advice on the choice of DE program or agency

February 24th, 2011, 5:28 pm #1

Hi all,

I'm an emerging lurker. DH and I are ready to take the DE plunge after 4 failed IVFs and numerous MCs. I am 42 and he is 58. We are trying to find the best clinic to work with. We live in Louisiana which does not allow compensated donors so our local RE won't get involved. They just handed us a list of agencies and said "good luck, see ya later." I have done a few IVF cycles at NYU and they have a donor program but, frankly, it was not a great experience. I am hoping to find a clinic that can also facilitate finding the DE - one stop shopping if you will. I can travel easily and the cost is not a consideration (well of course it is a little but at this point we just want the very best chance for success). We would like to know as much as possible about the donor but are planning on an anonymous donation. So far I have gotten info from GIVF in Virginia and they seem pretty good.

I thought since this group has had experience with DE that you all might have first hand recommendations (or warnings) or other helpful advice for choosing a DE agency or program. Thanks you all in advanced for your help.

Seymo (Sam)

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 24th, 2011, 6:58 pm #2

If you want to know as much as possible about a donor and cost is not an object, you can go through a donor agency for lots of choices. It still is considered technically an "anonymous" donation since you don't know each other's names, but you can get a lot of info about the donor and her family.

The agency I went with is in a different area of the country than me, the donor traveled to my clinic, I also traveled to the clinic, so there was extra expense for that, but otherwise was uncomplicated.

My clinic did offer their own donor pool but I wanted more photos and information and choices. I have continued contact with the donor through the agent, which is great (still anonymous though).

As far as finding the "best" clinic possible despite cost and distance, that is up for debate I guess, but there are 4 or 5 "top" clinics with very high DE success rates (they have to publish a report showing number of cycles and success rates, you can see them on www.sart.org). They usually have their own donor pool but isn't much cheaper than bringing in a donor from an agency. My clinic said about half the patients bring an agency donor, and half use a clinic donor. Beware some of the slickest marketed clinics bragging about their great success can have very poor success rates when you look at the reports.

MalibuGirl662
MalibuGirl662

February 24th, 2011, 9:10 pm #3

Hi all,

I'm an emerging lurker. DH and I are ready to take the DE plunge after 4 failed IVFs and numerous MCs. I am 42 and he is 58. We are trying to find the best clinic to work with. We live in Louisiana which does not allow compensated donors so our local RE won't get involved. They just handed us a list of agencies and said "good luck, see ya later." I have done a few IVF cycles at NYU and they have a donor program but, frankly, it was not a great experience. I am hoping to find a clinic that can also facilitate finding the DE - one stop shopping if you will. I can travel easily and the cost is not a consideration (well of course it is a little but at this point we just want the very best chance for success). We would like to know as much as possible about the donor but are planning on an anonymous donation. So far I have gotten info from GIVF in Virginia and they seem pretty good.

I thought since this group has had experience with DE that you all might have first hand recommendations (or warnings) or other helpful advice for choosing a DE agency or program. Thanks you all in advanced for your help.

Seymo (Sam)
I liked GIVF in VA very much. I like Jen Machovina - very responsive and helpful, but I couldn't find a donor who was ready to cycle. I checked out CNY Albany, they have in-house donors, but their stats weren't great and I was 15th on one donors list and 12th on another.

I found and decided upon the Donor Solution in Houston. They have a very comprehensive list of donors, pictures, lots of information, and it's anonymous. I found a donor I really like, so I am moving forward with them. Mary can probably help you find a clinic too.

Good luck in your journey.
Mal

February 24th, 2011, 10:56 pm #4

My clinic here in New Orleans mentioned Donor Solutions. (As I said that was about all they did. Not too helpful.)I contact them as well. Thanks so much.

February 24th, 2011, 10:58 pm #5

If you want to know as much as possible about a donor and cost is not an object, you can go through a donor agency for lots of choices. It still is considered technically an "anonymous" donation since you don't know each other's names, but you can get a lot of info about the donor and her family.

The agency I went with is in a different area of the country than me, the donor traveled to my clinic, I also traveled to the clinic, so there was extra expense for that, but otherwise was uncomplicated.

My clinic did offer their own donor pool but I wanted more photos and information and choices. I have continued contact with the donor through the agent, which is great (still anonymous though).

As far as finding the "best" clinic possible despite cost and distance, that is up for debate I guess, but there are 4 or 5 "top" clinics with very high DE success rates (they have to publish a report showing number of cycles and success rates, you can see them on www.sart.org). They usually have their own donor pool but isn't much cheaper than bringing in a donor from an agency. My clinic said about half the patients bring an agency donor, and half use a clinic donor. Beware some of the slickest marketed clinics bragging about their great success can have very poor success rates when you look at the reports.
if you don't mind, which agency did you chose? Did you chose them because they had the donor you wanted or because you liked working with them or they had a large pool of donors?

And thanks - I really do appreciate your advice.

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 25th, 2011, 2:33 am #6

don't want to say the name of the agency or clinic since it is identifying info, but can answer your question -- yes it was all about finding the right donor herself, not the agency. I looked at donor databases all over, for months, usually just e-mailing agencies and asking for permission to view their donor databases. It was only after finding a donor that I contracted with her agency. Then the donor had to be approved by my clinic, a step you can skip I guess if you use a clinic with their own donors.

February 25th, 2011, 6:29 am #7

Hi all,

Seymo (Sam)
if you want to go that route. Shady Grove in Rockville, MD has some good stats, as you can check out on their website. I have just recently started working with them, but I am quite pleased. I had gotten a lot of good input from some of the ladies on this and the pink boards regarding the clinic (which indicates there are some ladies who have gotten pregnant and successfully had babies through the clinic).

Much of the positive things I actually read from the ladies about the clinic on various threads before I even solicited specific information. They also have a guaranteed program that offers money back if a recipient does not have a child after a certain number of fresh cycles (you also get all the resulting frozen cycles if there are any frosties available). That guarantee also indicated to us the faith the clinic must have of getting the women pregnant and actually having them take home a baby (the guarantee means that you would have a live baby - I know that sounds crass, but that is how clinics phrase the guarantee, to explain that the contract is valid past the point of pregnancy and to the point of having a baby).

Since money isn't an issue, you might want to go with a 1:1 recipient to donor ratio (that way you can expect frosties for siblings if that is something that you want), or even a 1:2 split. They are both costly, but again there's a guarantee. The clinic also is quite adept at working with out-of-town and even out of the country recipients.

One of the down sides with some of the recipients is that the database of ED was small, but again, it just depends on what is most important to you.

The best in your decision and let us know which way you go!

February 25th, 2011, 12:04 pm #8

Hi all,

Seymo (Sam)
Interesting. And sad because it must make it very hard for you to find someone without travelling.

Sorry I don't have any advice (I cycled in the Czech Republic.) but wanted to wish you luck!

February 25th, 2011, 2:10 pm #9

don't want to say the name of the agency or clinic since it is identifying info, but can answer your question -- yes it was all about finding the right donor herself, not the agency. I looked at donor databases all over, for months, usually just e-mailing agencies and asking for permission to view their donor databases. It was only after finding a donor that I contracted with her agency. Then the donor had to be approved by my clinic, a step you can skip I guess if you use a clinic with their own donors.

I was worried you have to from a commitment to an agency first. Then they go out an hunt down a donor for you. Much better they way you describe!

Anonymous
Anonymous

February 25th, 2011, 3:28 pm #10

That would not have worked for me, signing up with an agency and hoping they would find a donor... I wanted to see every available pool of donors out there. Some agencies will also ask you what you are looking for and keep an eye out for unlisted donors, without having a contract yet. The agencies know you are probably looking at several others at the same time.

Some people don't want to see a lot of pics or know a lot about their donor or they want their doctor to pick one for them, in those cases a small donor pool is OK.