I love camp!

I love camp!

June 21st, 2012, 7:00 pm #1

DD started camp this week and I was a wreck, as this was her first separation from me. There are eight toddlers (DD is now 27 months) in her class with three counselors (who are assistant teachers at her pre-school). Three hours a day..just perfect for the break I needed!
She did great..we prepared her in advance and she was fine..Kissed her good bye and picked her up three hours later. She cried when she saw me and said she wanted to stay! They are also starting to toilet train the kids for us..is that amazing? She even asked to use the toilet last night.
I wonder how many of us have a difficult time separating just because it took us so long to have these children? I was well aware of my hesitation in letting her go so early. Our friends and doctors told us we would be doing her a disservice to keep her from a good program. I knew in my heart, I would have to let her go sooner or later.
I would be interested to hear others experience and advice about this.
Last edited by demomone on June 22nd, 2012, 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2012, 9:40 pm #2

I do notice that DD NEEDS to be around other kids. I'm looking forward to Kindergarten more and more. The German system starts at age 3. The classes are mixed, kids ages range from 3 to 6. I'm a little apprehensive about the independence required with 25 kids per 2 adults, but it's the only alternative here. Even the private schools have the same ratio.

I'll bet your LO adores being with the other kids and making friends.

June 21st, 2012, 9:59 pm #3

DD started camp this week and I was a wreck, as this was her first separation from me. There are eight toddlers (DD is now 27 months) in her class with three counselors (who are assistant teachers at her pre-school). Three hours a day..just perfect for the break I needed!
She did great..we prepared her in advance and she was fine..Kissed her good bye and picked her up three hours later. She cried when she saw me and said she wanted to stay! They are also starting to toilet train the kids for us..is that amazing? She even asked to use the toilet last night.
I wonder how many of us have a difficult time separating just because it took us so long to have these children? I was well aware of my hesitation in letting her go so early. Our friends and doctors told us we would be doing her a disservice to keep her from a good program. I knew in my heart, I would have to let her go sooner or later.
I happen to believe that staying with your child until 2 years old is the best. But each parent is different. And it has nothing to do with any separation issues that I might have. I know what's best for my child. That just my opinion. I just don't like people assuming that because I feel this way, I have problems separating. It's the best parenting for me, and the best for my DD. I'm not saying that's what you are saying-I just wanted to be clear. I know that when she is older, she will be ok being around others without me, and love it and need-just not in the first 2 years. On a neurological basis scientists have shown this to be true-not a separation issue on my part. And when the right time comes, I Ill be fine with it, because I know biologically, neurologically it is good for her.

June 22nd, 2012, 1:16 am #4

what you are saying but my DD is 27 months and I am a SAHM and I also think it's best to be at home but sometimes that is not possible financially speaking.
I myself, had a terrible time separating from my Mom and I still have severe separation anxiety after years of therapy. I did not want my DD to have the same experience. We only have a babysitter for four hours per week her first two years. We practice a modified version of attachment parenting and I believe she has a secure attachment and therefore was able to separate easily this week.

June 22nd, 2012, 1:19 am #5

I do notice that DD NEEDS to be around other kids. I'm looking forward to Kindergarten more and more. The German system starts at age 3. The classes are mixed, kids ages range from 3 to 6. I'm a little apprehensive about the independence required with 25 kids per 2 adults, but it's the only alternative here. Even the private schools have the same ratio.

I'll bet your LO adores being with the other kids and making friends.
But I am sure your LO will do fine at 3. Compared to our educational system, Germany is far better than ours.
I was surprised that there were three counselors for eight kids..I think that is unusual. Her pre-school, which she will start in September has two teachers for 10 children.

June 22nd, 2012, 4:43 pm #6

what you are saying but my DD is 27 months and I am a SAHM and I also think it's best to be at home but sometimes that is not possible financially speaking.
I myself, had a terrible time separating from my Mom and I still have severe separation anxiety after years of therapy. I did not want my DD to have the same experience. We only have a babysitter for four hours per week her first two years. We practice a modified version of attachment parenting and I believe she has a secure attachment and therefore was able to separate easily this week.
Oh that's good! I think I misunderstood-sorry! I am so glad your daughter did well with the classes without you. I too think that def. by 27 months it's good for them to separate. I will def. be doing this by the time DD is 2 years plus some months-I'm jut not sure exactly when. She is 21 months now and I can already tell she needs to go out the world more. I agree with you and I'm sorry for the attachment things with your own mother-that sounds really rough. I am so glad your dd is well attached to you! That must have been a relief for you! For me, it will be hard for me to let go in the sense that I think I would worry about her safety and emotions somewhat at classes without me. At the same time I know it would be good for her. Sorry again about the misunderstanding!

June 25th, 2012, 1:03 am #7

...and I never had any separation anxiety (I had already gone back to work full time after only nine weeks of maternity leave, so I was used to being away from her...my mom had helped me with childcare before we started daycare). So I can't really relate to the idea of needing or wanting to be home with her longer. As a single mom, I was always happy for the break (and I knew she was in good hands).

Maya