HSG not hysterscopy

HSG not hysterscopy

Bharni
Bharni

July 2nd, 2011, 7:30 pm #1

Hello,
I am planning to do HSG this Monday. I did couple times when I was still doing oe. The first time I was given a med to take at mid night and one hour before the HSG advil (tylenol). But now nothing. The second time it was painfull maybe it could be that I didn't take anything. I am doing the HSG the same place I did last time, with no med. Except that time they use to do this type of things in Women College which they share things. This time they said it will be in their fertility clinic. I have concern about the pain and what to do the day before to ease the process.
Thank you

July 2nd, 2011, 7:44 pm #2

When I had an HSG, they suggested I take ibuprofen (Advil) an hour before. It was still very uncomfortable for me, I think because of the air they use to inflate you. (Also, these things always seem more painful for me: e.g. my embryo transfer was painful even on Valium, whereas some people don't feel it at all.) I certainly don't think it would hurt you to take the Advil, and I doubt that anything you took the day before would still be in your system at the time. Good luck, and I hope it goes well for you.

minniet
minniet

July 2nd, 2011, 8:04 pm #3

Hello,
I am planning to do HSG this Monday. I did couple times when I was still doing oe. The first time I was given a med to take at mid night and one hour before the HSG advil (tylenol). But now nothing. The second time it was painfull maybe it could be that I didn't take anything. I am doing the HSG the same place I did last time, with no med. Except that time they use to do this type of things in Women College which they share things. This time they said it will be in their fertility clinic. I have concern about the pain and what to do the day before to ease the process.
Thank you
Some clinics claim its no big deal, some give meds, some put you under (seems extreme). Ibuprofin will in no way alter the results, so definitely take 800 -1000 mg (3-4 200 dose pills) an hour before. It really helped me.

It seems crazy to me they would not recommend it. It's easy enough to take. Just don't have any wine or alcohol for 24 hours, that's a lot of ibuprofin for the liver to process.

Mrs. M
Mrs. M

July 2nd, 2011, 11:04 pm #4

Hello,
Thank you
I took 800 of ibuprofen one hour before my HSG. Even with the ibuprofen on board I had a lot to painful cramping during the procedure. Next cycle I'm having a hysterscopy and fertility clinic instructed me to take 600 ibuprofen one hour before test.

Bharani
Bharani

July 3rd, 2011, 12:10 am #5

Hello,
Thank you
I will take advil monday morning.

E&H
E&H

July 3rd, 2011, 5:31 am #6

Hope all goes well and its pain free. I am the biggest wimp ever so would insist on sedation at least

Bharani
Bharani

July 3rd, 2011, 2:28 pm #7

Thank you E&H

Anon7
Anon7

July 3rd, 2011, 5:47 pm #8

Hello,
Thank you
when I did it I took 2-3 tylenol about an hour before I left for the clinic. They'd also given me a prescription for 1 valium, which I took about 30 minutes before I got to the clinic (I had a ride to and from). By the time they were doing the procedure the valium was wearing off, so I was QUITE uncomfortable. I thought it hurt, and I hated that they had my cervix clamped open the entire time, it hurt!

But, you've done this before. I would definately take the tylenol about an hour before the procedure. I wish they had you doing a hysteroscopy, b/c the HSG doesn't show as much. With the hysteroscopy, it's more intense (I was under general anesthesia for it, which was an additional $500 but I didn't care!), and they can really go in there and look around better.

Best of luck to you! I'm sure you've already covered this: but did your husband get a fertility work-up as well to be sure his sperm is okay? Again, I'm sure you've done this long ago, but just in case.

GOOD LUCK!

Bharani
Bharani

July 3rd, 2011, 8:07 pm #9

I am so happy for you. the hsg the re really want to see if my follopian tube is open. And he said hsg with camera. I don't know what that means. I will take taxi tomorrow. Dh has low sperm count which I learn when I used to do iui that is why they moved me from iui to ivf saying with icsi. And know I am de. I hope my train stop here one de.

Say some prayers for me.
Thanks