How to find a donor ... frozen eggs or fresh cycle?

How to find a donor ... frozen eggs or fresh cycle?

Anon
Anon

September 26th, 2011, 2:17 am #1

Hi ladies,

I'm wondering if I can rely on your expertise as I am very new to this ...

When looking for donors, I'm trying to determine whether its better to go for frozen egss or to go with a fresh cycle? I understand that frozen eggs would save $ (some banks on line post for $15k for 6 eggs whereas a fresh donor cycle would cost more than that). Can you help me understand the pros and cons? My gut says a fresh cycle would make more sense, but I just dont know enough about this.

Also, do most agencies share photos of the donors (even if the donors are anonymous)? I ask because i would like to get someone who sort of resembles me so I'd be interested in what the donors look like. Do the agencies share adult or baby pictures? Could you personally recommend an agency?

Finally, any recommendations for a DE RE in the greater Boston area? Thank you for your help!

thesameboat
thesameboat

September 26th, 2011, 2:27 am #2

I do think that fresh is probably going to give you a better chance, though maybe there's someone on here with experience in frozen eggs.

As far as pictures go, everything is possible in the States. I cycled in the Czech Republic, where a donor coordinator matches recipients and donors. I'm actually personally happy with that. I will never look at my child and think of her looking like someone else. Instead, we see the similarities to us.

Welcome to the community. It's a great group here. I hope you find your path to your child soon. Best of luck.

September 26th, 2011, 3:00 am #3

Hi ladies,

When looking for donors, I'm trying to determine whether its better to go for frozen egss or to go with a fresh cycle? I understand that frozen eggs would save $ (some banks on line post for $15k for 6 eggs whereas a fresh donor cycle would cost more than that). Can you help me understand the pros and cons? My gut says a fresh cycle would make more sense, but I just dont know enough about this.

Also, do most agencies share photos of the donors (even if the donors are anonymous)? I ask because i would like to get someone who sort of resembles me so I'd be interested in what the donors look like. Do the agencies share adult or baby pictures? Could you personally recommend an agency?

Finally, any recommendations for a DE RE in the greater Boston area? Thank you for your help!
I've cycled with both frozen and fresh eggs. I personally have only gotten pg/a BFP with frozen eggs (this last time is via a GC). But, I am lining challenged, so I think I needed the eggs to wait for me, vs. me to have to be ready when the eggs are. Most don't have this issue.

I cycled at RBA. They are the leaders in frozen eggs and others are only starting it. I think there is a bit of a learning curve. Many places are offering great deals until they perfect their technique and get to the success rate they can have with fresh. RBA is there. Unfortunately, SART has not seemed to have caught up with the new technology. As I understand it, RBA (or others) can't report the success of their frozen eggs, as there isn't a category for frozen donor eggs in the stats, and SART won't let thme mix it in with the fresh cycles, even though the embryos are fresh. So, you will only see RBAs fresh egg cycles in the stats, which is very few. They do mostly frozen eggs. RBA only has childhood photos for most of their donors. I think there are a few donors that don't have any pictures.

Another thing to consider is where you are at and whether or not you are hoping for siblings as well. I did a single embryo transfer and I have 3 (or possibly 4, I still need to check on whether the last one growing made it to freeze) frozen. THey say not to count on having many/any to freeze with a frozen cycle, as you only get 6 eggs to thaw. But, they will gaurantee at least two good blasts, otherwise I think they thaw more eggs. Not sure how that works, since I haven't heard of that happening. Doesn't mean it hasn't, I just haven't heard of the situation. I had only 5 eggs to work with, but every single one fertilized and all but 1 made it to blast, and the other one was still going, so they were going to grow it out one more day to decide whether or not they should freeze it. RBA only freezes top quality embryos that they are fairly confident can develop into a baby. That is why their frozen stats are so good. However, if you do want them all frozen or morally have a problem with that, then you just need to ask them to freeze them all. If you are hoping to have enough for siblings, etc., and you do not have issues such as growing a sufficient lining, I would weigh all the options. Frozen was a good option for me, but that is not necessarily the case for everyone.

I have a feeling I answered far more than what you were asking. I just wanted to give you my experience so you will have more info with which to make a decision. Keep in mind, that frozen eggs are fairly new, so some are not fully comfortable with it. I am. I have a number of friends that babies are from frozen eggs, and they are 3+years old, and they are just normal, rambunctious 3 year olds. All something to consider though.

GL with whatever you decide, and whereever you choose to cycle.

Anon
Anon

September 26th, 2011, 4:07 am #4

You gave me more that I asked for ... but I'm too new to this to know what to even ask so thank you for the extras.

Anon
Anon

September 26th, 2011, 4:10 am #5

I do think that fresh is probably going to give you a better chance, though maybe there's someone on here with experience in frozen eggs.

As far as pictures go, everything is possible in the States. I cycled in the Czech Republic, where a donor coordinator matches recipients and donors. I'm actually personally happy with that. I will never look at my child and think of her looking like someone else. Instead, we see the similarities to us.

Welcome to the community. It's a great group here. I hope you find your path to your child soon. Best of luck.
Hello and thanks for your reply. How did you line everything up to cycle overseas? How did you get your cycles in sync?

Did you get to see photos of the donor? And, if you extra embies to freeze, are they still in the Czech Republic (i.e., do you have to return there for a sib if you chose that path)?

Thanks for your assistance. I like the idea of the Czech Republic but I have no idea how to handle logistics.

thesameboat
thesameboat

September 26th, 2011, 8:03 am #6

By law in the Czech Republic, all donations are anonymous and have to remain so forever. You send a wish-list to the donor coordinator and you request a date. They then reserve a donor for you for that date. I cycled in Zlin, which is a university town. The university is right next to the clinic and is where the clinic's pool of donors is mostly from. Our daughter is lovely and healthy and bright. We adore her. But we can't have a full-genetic sibling because the donor we used is no longer available. Since she's not allowed to even know if the donation was successful or not, the donor can't be contacted to be asked to donate again.

It's much cheaper than in the US. You get to take a European vacation AND cycle for less than a fresh cycle in the US. Zlin is located near enough to both Prague and Vienna for easy overnight trips there.

The standards are good. Clean and professional. The Czechs do, however, give less stims to the donors than US clinics do, so you tend to get 8-9 eggs and not the very high numbers we sometimes hear about on these boards. If you have frozens (which is NOT the goal of the clinic -- they aim for 2-3 blasts to transfer and highly recommend transferring blasts instead of 3-day embryos), they have to remain there. You could, however, fly back alone for another transfer of frosties (and I recommend paying the about-$70 to have your husband's sperm frozen there for a possible second fresh attempt if you should ever want one without both of you flying back). Even if you both decide to go for a second transfer, using frosties or your partner's frozen sperm, you don't have to be there except for the day of transfer.

Here's the clinic:
http://www.crmzlin.cz/en/page/100.introductory-page/

Here's a support group of women travelling to the clinic. They're mostly American, but not all.
http://ivfzlin.ning.com/
You have to join this group to post. Let me know if you have trouble doing it.

(I also cycled in Prague at Pronatal and was not happy with any of it.) I've also heard good things about the Ukraine, but don't have any personal experience there.

Denise
Denise

September 26th, 2011, 1:57 pm #7

Hi ladies,

Please check out CNY they have great ((low)) prices and adult pictures their website is very informative. .

Calm
Calm

September 26th, 2011, 2:16 pm #8

Hi ladies,

My bff used Boston IVF and was very happy with them...multiple locations for monitoring and very nice she says...

H40+
H40+

September 26th, 2011, 2:23 pm #9

Please check out CNY they have great ((low)) prices and adult pictures their website is very informative. .
From the SART reports, it looks like their donor eggs success rates are pretty low and their frozen rates are abysmal. I would go with a clinic that has a better lab.

September 26th, 2011, 2:57 pm #10

Hi ladies,

For $15K, you could have a full, fresh cycle at CNY in the Finger Lakes region of NY. I think they charge $11K for a donor cycle, not including meds. Six eggs is not a lot to work with -- ask any woman who cycled in the Czech Republic as thesameboat and I did. And those are fresh eggs. I think you would be more likely to end up with frosties from a full, fresh cycle than a frozen egg cycle, which as others point out, counts when you want siblings.

Now, I was not a patient at CNY -- that was to be my next destination if my second Czech cycle failed, and I do know their waiting lists can be long -- don't know if it's better with a whole cycle versus split; the people I know there are doing split. It sounds to me as though you want a lot more control of your donor than you get in the Czech Republic.

Take care,

Maggie (in VA)