How to deal with anxiety?

How to deal with anxiety?

August 12th, 2015, 12:44 am #1

As I'm sure you can tell from my postings on here, I am an anxious person to begin with. A therapist taught me CBT techniques which have helped me a lot in my daily life.

Pregnancy is a whole new ball game. I'm a little over 25 weeks and riding an anxiety roller coaster about kicking and movement. She's a pretty good kicker but does have hours where she gets quiet. I just lay down after dinner, and finally felt her usual post meal party. I was so tense until she started. She's been quiet again for about 20 minutes and I feel the anxiety rising again. 20 minutes? Rational me knows it's insane and I need to let baby be baby.

It seems to get worse as I approach 26 weeks because I need to be able to spring into action if there is a decrease in movement. Because they could potentially "do something" if caught in time.

Any tips??

August 12th, 2015, 2:31 am #2

At some point in the pregnancy, my OB asked me to start counting how many baby movements per hour I could feel. I think this was around 32 or 33 weeks.

I was pregnant twins. One moved around a lot. The other twin barely moved at all. I thought for sure there was something wrong with her. Once she was born, I realized she just has a very quiet and calm demeanor. The other twin who was very active during my pregnancy, is still this way, kicking and moving his arms around all the time.

I noticed increased movement during the pregnancy right after eating a meal; I noticed a huge decrease in movement whenever I was riding in, or driving, a car. I think the motion of the car put them to sleep.

August 12th, 2015, 2:18 pm #3

As I'm sure you can tell from my postings on here, I am an anxious person to begin with. A therapist taught me CBT techniques which have helped me a lot in my daily life.

Pregnancy is a whole new ball game. I'm a little over 25 weeks and riding an anxiety roller coaster about kicking and movement. She's a pretty good kicker but does have hours where she gets quiet. I just lay down after dinner, and finally felt her usual post meal party. I was so tense until she started. She's been quiet again for about 20 minutes and I feel the anxiety rising again. 20 minutes? Rational me knows it's insane and I need to let baby be baby.

It seems to get worse as I approach 26 weeks because I need to be able to spring into action if there is a decrease in movement. Because they could potentially "do something" if caught in time.

Any tips??
I didn't learn CBT but did a lot of "consciously replacing thoughts of dread with a positive thought" after my second go-around with cancer. It feels so "fake" to think a happy/ positive thought on purpose (I would sit quietly and remind myself that only a teeny tiny proportion of babies didn't do well after the 24-25 week mark) but your body does get the message. It is very trying to have to consciously make yourself think something positive (either a visualisation of your baby or a mantra or something) but it does work to reduce the physical effects of stress and will eventually become less forced.

I am also anxious and spent the night before delivery (scheduled c-sec) lying awake and willing him to make it through the night until morning (my worst night of anxiety was the night before he was born in fact, because it would have been the cruellest thing to lose him so late). But consciously replacing the negative self-talk (my baby is still, he must be in trouble / I haven't felt any movement, there must be something wrong etc) with positive self-talk statements did keep it under control somewhat. I also - fondly - imagined that by letting him sleep, I was already teaching him good sleep habits for when he was born

If worse comes to worst, you could always rent a doppler. I saw that discussed on here recently and while it can cause anxiety in itself if you can't find the HB, at least you have some way of letting sleeping babies lie because you can listen for the HB. That would have made me crazy but it might help if the self-talk doesn't.

Good luck....thinking of you

Al

August 13th, 2015, 4:19 pm #4

Any tips??
I am 23 weeks pg with twins. Baby A is wild and I feel her kick and squirm and raise a ruckus all the time, but Baby B I may be feel once or twice in 24 hrs. During my last u/s I was very concerned because of this and told the tech about this. She showed me baby A exactly as I could feel at that moment... jumpy jack and moving around. But then she showed me baby B (who i could not feel AT ALL), dancing around as well. Infact Baby B made her dizzy with her energy. She told me that because of babies positions and stretching and abdomen fat layers, some babies just cannot be felt more than the others and all of this could rapidly change as well. There was nothing to worry.

I think you should definitely talk to your OB if you are that worried or rent a doppler as recommended by the above post, but my sense is that there may be nothing to it. Your baby will want you to not be anxious and stressed at all - that's the best thing for them

August 14th, 2015, 2:18 am #5

Any tips??
I def have the same experience riding in the car.
I think changing the panicky self talk is huge. Old habits die hard