How many different donors before success? (m/c, chemical mentioned)

How many different donors before success? (m/c, chemical mentioned)

little fighter
little fighter

February 20th, 2011, 9:49 pm #1

I been lurking as of late, well actually probably the last 4 or 5 months. Its great to see some of the ladies that have moved on to the pink. I was wondering...to all of the ladies who have DE babies, how many different donors did you have to go through in order to get where you are at? We have just selected and have been matched with our 4th donor. My story goes like this:

1st donor (unproven), 4 embies, 1 BFN, 1 Chemical

2nd donor (unproven), 2 embies, 1 Chemical

3rd donor (proven), 6 embies, 3 BFP then m/c each time (in between 1st and 2nd I had extensive immune testing done w/ Dr. C, only thing found was slighty elevated NK cells, nothing else. I did intralipid infusions and lovenox for the 2nd and 3rd transfers.)

4th donor is 27yr old and proven, giving the last recipients a BFP and 8 frosties.

Not to sound crazy but could this be purely bad luck? Is it possible? My new RE has me Lupron Depot 3.75 to shrink a couple of fibroids that are near the top of the uterus. I will find out in a couple of weeks if it has worked. My old RE and my RI have mentioned them, but have always said that they are sure that they are not the cause of my repeated m/c whereas my new RE said they could possibly have something to do with it. Thanks in advanced for your responses.

Adrah
Adrah

February 20th, 2011, 10:10 pm #2

Hi, we used one proven donor with twins the first time. I think we were just very lucky. I almost picked an unproven donor, but decided not to take the risk. The proven donor didn't look much like my family, but she had a good history.

I'm very sorry for your losses

Has your dh/partner had his sperm checked? We did DNA fragmentation testing, and it turned out my dh's sperm were pretty awful. They didn't bother to check this until we stopped trying with my eggs and moved on to DE.

I had a fibroid that appeared on the top of my uterus after an OE cycle. My RE refused to do further cycling until I had it removed. He said it would interfere with implantation (mine may have been much different than yours...). I had it removed before our successful DE cycle.

Good luck this cycle. I really hope it's the one for you!

February 20th, 2011, 11:52 pm #3

I been lurking as of late, well actually probably the last 4 or 5 months. Its great to see some of the ladies that have moved on to the pink. I was wondering...to all of the ladies who have DE babies, how many different donors did you have to go through in order to get where you are at? We have just selected and have been matched with our 4th donor. My story goes like this:

3rd donor (proven), 6 embies, 3 BFP then m/c each time (in between 1st and 2nd I had extensive immune testing done w/ Dr. C, only thing found was slighty elevated NK cells, nothing else. I did intralipid infusions and lovenox for the 2nd and 3rd transfers.)

4th donor is 27yr old and proven, giving the last recipients a BFP and 8 frosties.

Not to sound crazy but could this be purely bad luck? Is it possible? My new RE has me Lupron Depot 3.75 to shrink a couple of fibroids that are near the top of the uterus. I will find out in a couple of weeks if it has worked. My old RE and my RI have mentioned them, but have always said that they are sure that they are not the cause of my repeated m/c whereas my new RE said they could possibly have something to do with it. Thanks in advanced for your responses.
BFN on fresh cycle, though (SET). BFP with twins on FET (transferred two). I was so scared of failure so we chose very young (22) and proven. I don't know...that many miscarriages with a young, proven donor seems pretty suspicious to me. Absolutely do more sperm testing as well. I'm sorry to hear how hard this has been for you and really hope you get a BFP on this next cycle.

February 21st, 2011, 12:20 am #4

Cycled at Cape Fertility Clinic in South Africa; used "Renew" donor agency. First donor was unproven (her first cycle); second donor was proven (previous recipient pregnant with twins).

Maya
Last edited by Maya3 on February 21st, 2011, 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2011, 12:56 am #5

both fresh cycles ended up as chemicals (see you had some of those, too). First donor we did 2 FETs; both plain neg. 2nd donor first FET transferred 3, and got our little boy! Added Lovenox on the successful FET cycle; 'can't hurt, might help"...
We still don't know what the problem was; I'm thinking really bad luck w/ implantation/bad embryos as I haven't been diagnosed w any uterine issues etc.
My advice to you is not to give up! We just kept going, and here we are w our precious boy!
All the best,

zane

February 21st, 2011, 1:13 am #6

Hi, we used one proven donor with twins the first time. I think we were just very lucky. I almost picked an unproven donor, but decided not to take the risk. The proven donor didn't look much like my family, but she had a good history.

I'm very sorry for your losses

Has your dh/partner had his sperm checked? We did DNA fragmentation testing, and it turned out my dh's sperm were pretty awful. They didn't bother to check this until we stopped trying with my eggs and moved on to DE.

I had a fibroid that appeared on the top of my uterus after an OE cycle. My RE refused to do further cycling until I had it removed. He said it would interfere with implantation (mine may have been much different than yours...). I had it removed before our successful DE cycle.

Good luck this cycle. I really hope it's the one for you!
That seems a horrid string of events to just be bad luck. Though I wonder how many eggs were retrieved from the first two donors to get so few embies?

I can't give you a good answer because I did two donor egg vitrification trials (failures) and one donor embryo cycle (success x 2). But I hope this cycle finally gives you your dream.

February 21st, 2011, 1:23 am #7

And also had hubby checked by a urologist. We now have 2 beautiful babies (twins).

Our first donor donated successfully several times before us, and  twice after us. All donations except ours were successful.

Our second donor donated 4 times before us. Three of those donations were successful.

Definitely have your partner checked by a urologist before you go any further. Also, consider using a surrogate.
Last edited by Obie9 on February 21st, 2011, 1:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

February 21st, 2011, 2:17 am #8

I'm so sorry for your losses. Like you, my DE history is long and checkered. My RE said that in my case, he didn't feel it was possible my losses could all be chalked up to just bad luck (and you've had more DE losses than I have - I've had 3 w/ proven DE/DS plus 4 with my own eggs). Here's my history:

1st fresh - young proven donor, transferred 3 on day 3, none frozen, BFN
2nd fresh - young unproven donor, transferred 3 on day 3, none frozen, chem pg
3rd fresh - young proven donor, transferred 2 on day 5, BFP twins, 4 blasts frozen
1st FET (from 3rd donor) - 1 blast transferred, mc
2nd FET (from 3rd donor) - 2 blasts transferred, chem pg
4th fresh - young VERY proven donor, transferred 1 on day 5, BFP (35w pg), tons frozen

Here's some of the testing/results we had:
-Before the 1st fresh, we learned DH had high sperm DNA fragmentation, so we used donor sperm for all attempts; it became much easier for me to get pg once we did that, but I still lost the DE pgs.
- In between the 2nd and 3rd fresh, we found out I was hetero for MTHFR, but RE didn't change anything in protocol (I used BA anyway). We did have a live birth from the 3rd fresh attempt.

- When we started ttc a sib we had trouble again. This RE thought we needed to add folgard for MTHFR so we did. After the 1st FET failure I did a hysteroscopy and lap to check out uterus and abdomen, even though HSG showed clear tubes when we were ttc w/ own eggs. Much to our surprise, one tube was totally blocked (hydrosalpinx) and the other was "questionable" (open but not in great shape) and could have been leaking toxic fluid into the uterus during implantation, leading to chem pgs/ implantation failure/ mc. Theory was, infection following c-section (or HSG original results could have been wrong - apparently HSG is only accurate 80% of the time - which NO ONE TELLS YOU!) We took out the totally blocked tube and tried again, FET #2. I also did further immune testing and found I was positive for lupus anticoagulant (a blood clotting factor), so we added lovenox and prednisone on advice of a rheumatologist, and just for the heck of it added intralipids (IL) before transfer. But again, a loss.

- Before our 4th fresh, we did yet another lap and took out the second tube, plus repeated all of the above we'd added before the last FET. My DH and RE both refused to consider IVIg or Enbrel, which rheumatologist recommended even in the absence of blood tests confirming NK or other immune activity, as rheum said all of my DE/DS losses with proven donors and my sky-high anti-thyroid antibodies were "highly suspicious" of an immune reaction to pg, even if we couldn't prove it. The 4th fresh attempt worked and we're currently 35w pg.

Given your history (how many DE losses you've had) I don't believe it's possible you've had luck THAT bad. I would be looking for answers before cycling again. I would:
- Have a lap and hysteroscopy with a very competent surgeon, explore EVERYTHING surgically to make sure you don't have an undiagnosed structural problem. Could be blocked or scarred tubes creating toxic fluid (this is well-documented cause of the issues you are experiencing), could be a bicornuate uterus, or something else that hasn't been spotted with less invasive investigation. My RE was very insistent that he commonly finds things that should have been visible on saline sono or HSG, but just weren't. And as I said, HSG is apparently only 80% effective at diagnosing tubal problems, as there is some sort of path the dye can take that looks like it's in the tubes but isn't (sorry, I totally forget the more technical explanation LOL, but my RE said he saw this a lot, which I found shocking).

- Have DH take the sperm DNA frag test (SCSA) if he has not already. Even if it comes back normal... consider using donor sperm. If you've been checked out for immune issues and treated what you found, plus you rule out structural issues, the problem just may not be you. Just as we haven't quantified every egg issue, I really believe the same to be true for sperm. There are several women on the board who only after multiple failures with DE replaced their DH's "normal" sperm with donor sperm for a final try, and finally had success. I don't believe that's a coincidence. At all. REs are very reluctant to do this, perhaps it's a "guy thing" or perhaps they figure, we carry and bf the baby but DHs dont' get those bonding opportunities so the genes are somehow more important? In any case, I can tell you my DH doesn't give a puff at all - we are just so glad we did both DE/DS and have the kids we have. If you use donor sperm, also use a VERY PROVEN donor there too (I looked on the donor sibling registry once I found a handful of donors I liked, so confirm there had been live births - only way I could think of confirming, as most sperm banks will only confirm there's been a resulting pg).

- I'd use only a really proven egg donor for next attempt, and make it a high producer - so you have embryos for a fresh cycle, and to save for a GC if that's ever something you'd consider and can afford. Or try a shared risk if they would accept you, so that you will get money back for adoption if that's preferable for you/DH. I always had three more plans in the works as living child-free was NOT an option for me, and I knew I wouldn't stop until I dropped or became a mom however that happened. If you feel the same, always leave yourself options. I know you must feel at the end of your rope now (I sure did) but there is ALWAYS one more thing to try.

Those are the things that come immediately to mind. I really dont' think with the number of losses you've had that it could be bad luck. I hate saying that to you, b/c I assumed for a long time that mine was, and when my wonderful RE gently told me he really didn't think it could be bad luck a the point we were at, I left his office in tears and cried for days, thinking, "OMG we've surrendered, we've given up our genes, we've given up all of our savings, we've given up everything we thought was important to have a child and even ALL OF THAT wasn't enough." It was the final straw of my sanity nearly, knowing that there was yet something ELSE wrong with my body when we had tinkered with it already beyond belief. The surgeries to explore and remove tubes nearly broke me, honestly, and I kept feeling like we'd never stop discovering things that were wrong me, that I was just a total failure reproductively. But in the end... we did get very, very lucky twice. Luck, with a lot of hard work, far too much money, a great RE who insisted on investigating and changing things up instead of just taking our money for another fresh cycle, the support of the women here, and KNOWLEDGE of what others had done before me after multiple failures. Keep going, honey, but leave NO stone unturned, and always leave yourself a plan B (DH and I joke that it was Plan Y that worked finally!)

Huge hugs and good luck to you,
Kenny

demomone
demomone

February 21st, 2011, 2:24 am #9

proven..32 years old.. this was her sixth cycle..all with ++pregnancies
I had a fresh transfer with a sub-optimal lining and got a BFN..worked on the lining for the FET and got a +++. We have 15 frozen 5 and 6 day blasts. Very unusual for a donot that age to get so many eggs..but after a long fertility haul..we were blessed with a beautiful baby.
Good luck to you and hoping for a success for you soon.

February 21st, 2011, 3:20 am #10

I am so sorry this road has been so hard. No one should have to endure what you are.

My first (and only) DE cycle was with a 22 y/o donor who cycled previously and the recipients had a live birth (singleton) and frosties. The donor also had a 1 y/o.

My cycle resulted with 13 retrieved, 12 mature, 11 fertilizing and we transfered two perfect expanded blasts. My twins are now 2 y/o. I also have six, 6 day blasts on ice.

I think it's a very good idea to try and shrink the fibroids. I agree with pp - I presume your SO has had a sperm analysis done?

GL on this upcoming cycle! I'll be rooting for you!