Hate to ask this question BUT how many of you..........

Hate to ask this question BUT how many of you..........

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 28th, 2010, 1:42 pm #1

are overweight?? I am God-willing going to cycle sometime in the beginning of the new year and have tried everything to lose some weight but the harder I try the easier I fail.

I am really beating myself up because I have put on so much weight especially cycling 6 times (bfn/mcs) that I have fallen into being really overweight w/a high BMI.

I don't want to NOT cycle again but I am already putting pressure on myself that it is not going to work or if it does I will be really overweight unhealthy.

Did any of you cycle with a your weight being a issue and if yes how was your pregnancy, etc...

Thank you in advance for any advice.

November 28th, 2010, 4:16 pm #2

I have had weight issues since college. Both ends of the spectrum. I was 84 lbs in college (eating disorder) and when I conquered this I was about 6 years into a healthy lifestyle when my thyroid went and the IF battle began and the weight started piling on. After my 2 DE failures I was so angry with everything in my life, and one day I just went to the gym. I cried almost the entire time I was on the eliptical, but when I got home I felt better. Like the aggression was lifting a bit.

I ended up getting benched from cycling for a year (surgery) and in that year I decided I would take the time to focus on me. And try to take control of one aspect of my life. I started taking spin classes, then yoga, then a weight lifting class, and just before this last cycle I was doing a triathalon class. I did a 25 mile bike race this summer. My BMI is still in the 'overwight' class, but I felt better and actually believed that I could do something if I put my mind to it. And that is what infertility had robbed me of. My self confidence. I took back the power over my own body.

Amazingly enough this last cycle worked. I don't credit this success to the change in my lifestyle, but the bonus is now that I am going to put on the weight again, I don't feel as bad, because I know I can take back my body after with a lot of hard work.

Just my story. I know the weight with IF cycles, bfn's, m/c just adds salt to the wound. But you have to figure out a way to take back your life from IF and love yourself enough to take control. It really is about loving yourself and telling yourself that YOU are worth fighting for.

Okay I sound like a preacher...Sorry! Take this time before you cycle, not to try to lose weight, but to try to make yourself feel better about yourself. Whether that be taking a brisk walk in the evening or try a yoga class, you might find it the relaxation you need before a cycle. And don't feel like you can't because your overweight, remember every single person has to start somewhere. Even the skinny minnies did worse than me at the first spin class! LOL!

I wish for you nothing but success!

ks

Me - 32 yrs
DH - 33 yrs (perfect)
TTC #1 - 5 yrs
DX: Hashimoto Thyroiditis / high fsh / blocked tubes
Highest FSH 72
Lowest 3.5
Highest E2 - 1400
DE #1 (vitrified eggs due to complications) -
FET #1 - Nov 2009 BFN
FET #2 - Jan 2010 BFN
Tubeless May 2010
July 2010 - Donor Selected! Woot! Woot!
DE #2 - Oct 2010 BFP

movingforwardhappily!
movingforwardhappily!

November 28th, 2010, 4:39 pm #3

are overweight?? I am God-willing going to cycle sometime in the beginning of the new year and have tried everything to lose some weight but the harder I try the easier I fail.

I am really beating myself up because I have put on so much weight especially cycling 6 times (bfn/mcs) that I have fallen into being really overweight w/a high BMI.

I don't want to NOT cycle again but I am already putting pressure on myself that it is not going to work or if it does I will be really overweight unhealthy.

Did any of you cycle with a your weight being a issue and if yes how was your pregnancy, etc...

I am overweight and have put on 15 kilos (think thats over 30 pounds) in the last 3 years since I have had a miscarriage.
In general though we are all getting bigger, and there is a lot of talk of moving the normal bmi to 27. I look at my sister in law and she is my height but her build is really tiny - she would be a size 6 USA and I was never that...

In my twenties, when I worked out and did cardio at least 8 hrs a week I had a bmi of 24/25, so even then at the high end. However I also worked as a model and wore English size 12, which is a USA 8.

By my late 20s my bmi was more like 27/28 and I still did a lot of sport and calorie counted. I was up to a US 10 by then. I am also 5'9 and even though classified as overweight I was very toned and I don't think anyone would have called me fat.

Now at 35 after 3 years of infertility my bmi is hovering at 30 and i and wearing US 12/14. OUCH. When I am depressed I just can't stay on top of my weight - I did keep exercising but less intensive, an hour walk rather than an hour run, 1 class of body pump rather 2/3. Frankly my body seems to naturally like being here and now that I am hasn't changed in 12 months regardless of what I eat.

I decided to push ahead with donor egg even though my bmi is up and I am now 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I do feel a bit guilty that when I first got pregnant I was in better shape but it would take me a year to lose this and this journey has gone long enough.

I fast walk at least 5 times a week, and swim a couple of km's a few times a week. My blood pressure is perfect and I have excellent stamina. My diet is also very good. I am going to really try and stick in the recommended weight gain for overweight women of under 15 pounds...

Anyway, so weight is clearly an issue for me! But as KS suggests I think the best thing to do is focus on being healthy with a mimimim of 30 minute walk a day and 6 fruit and veg....

Also maybe just get a general check up to make sure that everything else is in a ok, thyroid etc..
Good luck...

Colleen
Colleen

November 28th, 2010, 5:37 pm #4

I am extremely overweight.
My weight was not really an issue. I got pg on the very first try after transferring 3 not so great embies. I now have a DS.
My pregnancy was fantastic and I was never considered high risk even though I am morbidly obese, diabetic and AMA (advanced maternal age). The ob and nutritionists said I was their star patient. I only gained 13 pounds while pg and actually weighed 26 pounds less after giving birth than I did when I got pg.

I never got high blood pressure and was induced 4 days before my due date and labored for 60 hours and finally gave birth vaginally. They wanted me to do a c-section but I refused. The baby and I were both doing fine so they let me continue.DS was normal weight at 7lbs. 8oz.
My experience may not be typical but I had virtually no problems at all.

Dee.S
Dee.S

November 28th, 2010, 7:15 pm #5

I had a BMI of 49 and my RE suggested I get my BMI way down. Well I went on line and did research that inidcated BMI was not a factor to be considered when doing DE cycles. I emailed him the article (I don't have it anymore to share that was 3yrs ago). He accepted it and I had success with twins on my first cycle. We did ICSI and my twins are now 2yrs old. The RE takes control of your hormones with the medications you will betaking and you continue taking those meds on until the pregnancy takes over and controls the hormones. I gained a total of 7lbs for the twin pregnancy since I was so overweight already. I ate healthy through out the whole pregnancy, I could not even stomach anything sweet or greasy. So I lived off of yogurt, lots of apples, other fruits lean proteins, and ice creame of course!

Nona
Nona

November 28th, 2010, 8:03 pm #6

I am not overweight unless I am taking estrace or doing BC pills in preparation for a cycle. So I do go from a normal weight, to being classified officially as "overweight". I typically gain about 15 pounds during a cycle. This time, I plan to go for walks every day. I am also in an exercise class. I don't know if it will help that much, but it might.

Bharani
Bharani

November 28th, 2010, 8:18 pm #7

think about. I used to be normal size, I think so. I used to be very skinny as a child but teens time I had very good weight/posture. so, weight was not an issue for me. When IF struck my life I lost so many weight like my pants size became size 4-6. I am very tall (5.9), my regular size were 8-10. but then after few failed cycle both OE and DE. Now I am size 18, and maybe going up. this week I saw my self huffing (? word/spelling) even talking, just normal talk and not alot. It came to my mind. thank you for bringing in.

And KS I really liked your post. And I have been thinking about what you said in this post since last week and about you. I know you posted now. In one of your last post you mentioned that you started working out and you didn't want to sit all the time during your 2ww. It is something that came to my mind to change my thinking and start working out. My problem is beliening in it. I don't know what to do.

movingforwardhappily!
movingforwardhappily!

November 28th, 2010, 9:21 pm #8

I am overweight and have put on 15 kilos (think thats over 30 pounds) in the last 3 years since I have had a miscarriage.
In general though we are all getting bigger, and there is a lot of talk of moving the normal bmi to 27. I look at my sister in law and she is my height but her build is really tiny - she would be a size 6 USA and I was never that...

In my twenties, when I worked out and did cardio at least 8 hrs a week I had a bmi of 24/25, so even then at the high end. However I also worked as a model and wore English size 12, which is a USA 8.

By my late 20s my bmi was more like 27/28 and I still did a lot of sport and calorie counted. I was up to a US 10 by then. I am also 5'9 and even though classified as overweight I was very toned and I don't think anyone would have called me fat.

Now at 35 after 3 years of infertility my bmi is hovering at 30 and i and wearing US 12/14. OUCH. When I am depressed I just can't stay on top of my weight - I did keep exercising but less intensive, an hour walk rather than an hour run, 1 class of body pump rather 2/3. Frankly my body seems to naturally like being here and now that I am hasn't changed in 12 months regardless of what I eat.

I decided to push ahead with donor egg even though my bmi is up and I am now 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I do feel a bit guilty that when I first got pregnant I was in better shape but it would take me a year to lose this and this journey has gone long enough.

I fast walk at least 5 times a week, and swim a couple of km's a few times a week. My blood pressure is perfect and I have excellent stamina. My diet is also very good. I am going to really try and stick in the recommended weight gain for overweight women of under 15 pounds...

Anyway, so weight is clearly an issue for me! But as KS suggests I think the best thing to do is focus on being healthy with a mimimim of 30 minute walk a day and 6 fruit and veg....

Also maybe just get a general check up to make sure that everything else is in a ok, thyroid etc..
Good luck...
rather long winded response is yes some of us struggle with weight however I think if you are confident about your health to go for it. Like KS I figure I can lose the weight after. Also I do feel very fit and healthy.

Also I think from what I have read a high bmi is a worry when using own eggs vis a vis donor egg.

Gluck!

November 29th, 2010, 12:13 am #9

Hi,
You sound exactly like me
I was a normal weight when I started this journey. Then after so many cycles I put on weight with each cycle then I got pg. Do not worry about your weight. I put on a grand total of 6kgs all up. I delivered on Friday and heavens I think I've sweated off at least two kgs then there was the boy, plus the rest of everything.
Truly, I look normal again, the fluid retention has almost gone and I recognise myself again. I took a photo just before and you can really see the fluid retention I was amazed.
I had bad morning sickness from week 11 onwards, then really got to the stage where I couldn't eat or drink anything. I took medications but I never over did it with food as if I did it would just come back up. I never felt like eating a lot of anything.
I know I was very worried about putting on 20kgs plus etc. But many of us here do not put on a lot of weight.
take care and good luck with everything
TH.

Anonymous
Anonymous

November 29th, 2010, 12:51 am #10

I think i need to take all of your advice and start looking at myself in a different way (other then being overweight) I should start taking some control in making myself feel more confident & feeling better about the upcoming cycle instead of thinking about failing before I have even started.

Again THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH for the SUPPORT!!!!