Frozen Donor Egg Study -- cycle costs 5k

Frozen Donor Egg Study -- cycle costs 5k

December 29th, 2010, 2:25 pm #1

I was just looking at assorted clinics in SC last week and yesterday I spoke to one of the new pt coordinators. Southeastern Fertility Centerhttp://www.sefertility.com/research.html is conducting a frozen donor egg study, and the cycle costs the IP $5k, not including IP's meds and dx testing. Age limit for IP is given as 50 on the website, although the coordinator told me 49. The donors are anon and under age 32. The clinic has excellent success rates.

Disclaimer: I am not their pt, although I've asked them to consider me. (I'm on the age cusp, and there are some other conditions I've asked them to meet.) And 10 years ago, I was very unhappy with their protocol for treating women in their 40s, so I didn't go to them for OE ivf.

So far, SFC has completed only 2 cycles within the clinical trial using the frozen donor eggs (vitrified, really), with 1 pg and 1 bfn, although apparently more are on-going.

pixie6
pixie6

December 29th, 2010, 7:52 pm #2

Hi that is very interesting..what can you tell me personally about Southeastern you did not like them earlier do you now? Are you going to try to do the study it seems like a good plan do you provide your husbands/donor sperm or do they? Where are they located are you near them? SO many questions but Im curious tell me anything you can please. ALso do they provide the eggs or do we get a donor?? This seems too good to be true for 5,000.??? WHat do you personally feel? Thank you!

December 29th, 2010, 8:30 pm #3

GIVF was doing frozen egg cycles for $7500, BUT a recent patient who posted here said they were only claiming a 40% success rate. GIVF now claims a 65.5% clinical pg rate on fresh transfers (59.9% live birth rate for the previous year). So, the learning curve on frozen egg cycles is looking a lot steeper than I had hoped to see for my ttc friends who aren't mothers yet. And it doesn't sound as though Southeastern has meaningful stats yet.

As far as I can tell, even if you're not paying a lot at these clinics that are vamping up their frozen egg programs, you're still paying to be a guinea pig. And a few thousand more will get you a fresh cycle overseas or a shared cycle at CNY, etc., with much better prospects for success. I don't mean to sound cavalier about a few thousand dollars, but I have a feeling that frozen egg as a game-changing technology may be a few years further down the road.

Maggie (in VA)

ks
ks

December 29th, 2010, 9:20 pm #4

It's really still in the infant stages. I think it will get us there but I think we are still at least 1-2 years away from seeing the same rates of success with frozen eggs as with fresh. I know that $5,000 really does seem like a gift as this is so expensive, but I would seriously look at going over seas or with CNY with a fresh first. Just my 2 cents.

ks

PS
I did 2 transfers with embryos that were vitrified eggs and both were BFN.

Pixie6
Pixie6

December 29th, 2010, 11:34 pm #5

Hi KS you said "I did 2 transfers with embryos that were vitrified eggs and both were BFN." is vitrified the process that Southeastern is doing? Have you been successful yet? I did a donor cycle and now my baby is 1yrs I would love another baby but as with everyone I am sure.. the first factor is monetary I cannot afford a full cycle thats why 5,000 looked positive..did you say overseas is about the same cost?? How and where?? and what about travel expenses?? Help any info would be great!

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 29th, 2010, 11:36 pm #6

You can go to CNY in Syracuse NY and do a split cycle fresh for about $8,000.

Anonymous
Anonymous

December 29th, 2010, 11:37 pm #7

Hi KS you said "I did 2 transfers with embryos that were vitrified eggs and both were BFN." is vitrified the process that Southeastern is doing? Have you been successful yet? I did a donor cycle and now my baby is 1yrs I would love another baby but as with everyone I am sure.. the first factor is monetary I cannot afford a full cycle thats why 5,000 looked positive..did you say overseas is about the same cost?? How and where?? and what about travel expenses?? Help any info would be great!
You can go to CNY in Syracuse NY and do a split cycle fresh for about $8,000.

December 30th, 2010, 12:23 am #8

Hi that is very interesting..what can you tell me personally about Southeastern you did not like them earlier do you now? Are you going to try to do the study it seems like a good plan do you provide your husbands/donor sperm or do they? Where are they located are you near them? SO many questions but Im curious tell me anything you can please. ALso do they provide the eggs or do we get a donor?? This seems too good to be true for 5,000.??? WHat do you personally feel? Thank you!
they prescribed clomid for me with no testing and no discussion of why it wasn't really great for a 41yo. I did 2 or 3 clomid cycles and had to learn why it was wrong for me on the internet. I really didn't appreciate that. Then I decided not to try ivf b/c in the years preceding 2001, they hadn't cycled any women over 40, according to SART stats. Later, I looked into them for a traditional, full-price split DE cycle, and when I broke down all the costs, it looked as if they were double-dipping on the monitoring for the ED. For instance, if monitoring a pt cost 2k, instead of charging each IP 1k, they charged each IP 2k. At least, that's how it appeared to me. I compared several kinds of cycles, including OE and DE, and it looked like they were making extra on the ED's monitoring.

The clinic is in Charleston, and they provide the eggs. I would have been willing to try it, but they called today and said I don't qualify -- too old.

I've done 2 fresh cycles at CNY. I don't remember how much my 2008 cycle cost. My 2010 cycle was just under 5k, cash, plus all meds and my monitoring (I'm out of town), plus travel and acupuncture. I might have spent close to 10k on the fresh cycle. I was interested in Southeastern b/c their fresh and frozen % are better than CNY, and I wouldn't have the travel hassle and expenses.
Last edited by Kekona on December 30th, 2010, 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 30th, 2010, 4:21 am #9

CRM Zlin in the Czech Republic advertises a full DE cycle for 4500EU, which at today's exchange rate is 5,954.75USD. That includes everything but meds (350EU, but you'll also need more Crinone gel, which is [or was] about $50/box at their pharmacy), DS if you need it, and TESE or PGD if you need it). My round trip ticket to Vienna was, hmmm, about $800 in 2009. Rates are probably higher now. Food and lodging are cheap in CZ. It depends a lot on how you do things -- I could have gotten a cheaper flight with a layover, but chose a non-stop for sanity. I took a taxi from Vienna to Zlin at about 150EU, I think, but could have taken the train. I probably spent about $9K for each cycle, but could have done it for closer to $7-8K if I had needed to.

But I had decided to try CNY, barring unforeseen issues, if my second Zlin cycle hadn't worked. Note that you are far less likely to get frosties from a Zlin cycle as they don't hyperstim their donors. The number of eggs is probably comparable to a shared cycle in the U.S.

Argentina is another lower cost option a lot of women use.

Good luck!

Maggie (in VA)

December 30th, 2010, 2:55 pm #10

also are few. They don't hyperstim, either, and the cheaper split cycles often have very few or no frosties. Their FET % has been very poor in the past. They tell me it's up to 20-30% now. I spoke to an embryologist there who said that in 2008, the year the % was only 7.7, that actually reflected older embies created before 2008.