flying with meds

flying with meds

February 13th, 2012, 7:25 pm #1

My pharmacy & doctor's office weren't really helpful with this question, but I'm sure this board has the answers - I may be traveling while taking the meds for my upcoming donor cycle and I'm wondering if I have to do anything special for TSA to take my syringes through security. Where do you get a little sharps container? My pharmacy just gave me a huge one. Diabetics travel with syringes/needles all the time, and the TSA website says that syringes with meds are allowed, but just thought I'd see if anyone has feedback based on their own experience.

Who has gone through TSA security with their meds and how did it go?

Thanks!

February 13th, 2012, 9:16 pm #2

I am a flight attendant AND a diabetic AND going through my first DE cycle! You can check the TSA website for official guidelines. However, in my experience I can tell you with confidence that security at MOST airports won't have any issue with syringes and meds. I have carried needles and meds through security in my uniform and in plain clothes. That being said.........make sure you have a letter from your doctor stating you need to carry the syringes and meds. You never know when some TSA agent will question you, so be prepared. Don't worry too much about a sharps container. You can use a tupperware container or wrap up used syringes in foil and put them in a ziploc till you get home then dispose of them properly. As a courtesy, I always bring my used needles home for disposal. Hope this helps out!

February 13th, 2012, 10:14 pm #3

That helps - especially the tupperware idea - thanks!

Katie Robins
Katie Robins

February 14th, 2012, 3:19 am #4

My pharmacy & doctor's office weren't really helpful with this question, but I'm sure this board has the answers - I may be traveling while taking the meds for my upcoming donor cycle and I'm wondering if I have to do anything special for TSA to take my syringes through security. Where do you get a little sharps container? My pharmacy just gave me a huge one. Diabetics travel with syringes/needles all the time, and the TSA website says that syringes with meds are allowed, but just thought I'd see if anyone has feedback based on their own experience.

Who has gone through TSA security with their meds and how did it go?

Thanks!
Hello,
I had to travel to San francisco and Aspen and had absolutely no problem with carrying my needles on with me, once in a carry on, and once in a checked bag. I let them know each time that they were there and received no grief for the needles, progesterone and estrogen. (and I forgot the dr's note, but that is a good idea.)