FET - number of embryos to transfer (child ment)

FET - number of embryos to transfer (child ment)

April 28th, 2012, 5:57 pm #1

Hi everyone. I have searched these boards and know already that transferring a single 5d blast is best when a singleton is preferred. However, I hope you might consider my scenario and give me your thoughts. This has been tormenting me to say the least.

I am 47 and have a 1.5y toddler from a fresh 5d two blast DE transfer. I did an eSET FET this past month which was BFN. I have 4 5d blasts of good quality remaining, all frozen individually. I am at CNYFC. Yup, thats the place with the abysmal 16% success rate for FET in 2010 (anecdotally about 20% currently). At a clinic with decent frozen stats I would not hesitate to do another eSET. But here I am just not sure. As you know, it is hard emotionally, physically, financially and time consuming to repeat unsuccessful cycles. I am not getting any younger. But, even though CNY stats are poor they still produce a lot of multiples. And I believe singletons are safer (no criticism intended here of anyone who thinks otherwise).

Your thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 28th, 2012, 9:46 pm #2

All four since it is CNY..

green.elephant
green.elephant

April 28th, 2012, 10:42 pm #3

Hi everyone. I have searched these boards and know already that transferring a single 5d blast is best when a singleton is preferred. However, I hope you might consider my scenario and give me your thoughts. This has been tormenting me to say the least.

I am 47 and have a 1.5y toddler from a fresh 5d two blast DE transfer. I did an eSET FET this past month which was BFN. I have 4 5d blasts of good quality remaining, all frozen individually. I am at CNYFC. Yup, thats the place with the abysmal 16% success rate for FET in 2010 (anecdotally about 20% currently). At a clinic with decent frozen stats I would not hesitate to do another eSET. But here I am just not sure. As you know, it is hard emotionally, physically, financially and time consuming to repeat unsuccessful cycles. I am not getting any younger. But, even though CNY stats are poor they still produce a lot of multiples. And I believe singletons are safer (no criticism intended here of anyone who thinks otherwise).

No matter the dismal stats of your clinic, I think anyone that has embryos transferred should be prepared for the results if all of them work. If you transfer all 4, and beat the odds and have quadruplets can you either handle that or are you okay with selective reduction? It's a very personal choice - unfortunately there's no crystal ball with this science. I might err on the side of caution and transfer 2 at a time if I were in your shoes... I like the theory that if they're going to stick then they're going to stick no matter how many you transfer. Good luck!

ks
ks

April 28th, 2012, 11:19 pm #4

Go with 2. I say this as FET's are known to have less success wherever you cycle. I don't think I would ever recommend transferring all 4 though!! That's quite the HUGE risk to take!
Wishing you success!
ks

April 28th, 2012, 11:27 pm #5

No matter the dismal stats of your clinic, I think anyone that has embryos transferred should be prepared for the results if all of them work. If you transfer all 4, and beat the odds and have quadruplets can you either handle that or are you okay with selective reduction? It's a very personal choice - unfortunately there's no crystal ball with this science. I might err on the side of caution and transfer 2 at a time if I were in your shoes... I like the theory that if they're going to stick then they're going to stick no matter how many you transfer. Good luck!
If their success rate is that low, absolutely. More though is a scary risk.

I don't think btw anyone could take offense over your worries for a twin pregnancy - we've had some twin pregnancies end very sadly on the pink board and others (like mine) that ended in micropreemie births and months in the hospital. Better to not court twins or more though at CNY I think the risk of twins from transferring two cannot be too high.
Last edited by Blessed_Thistle on April 30th, 2012, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tas
Tas

April 29th, 2012, 12:28 am #6

All four since it is CNY..
Is this meant to be funny? I am profoundly grateful to have had a baby with the help of CNY, on my first try with DE, with an unproven donor. This is not the kind of helpful suggestion i normally see on this board. Transferring four blasts is something i would never ever do, nor is it something that should ever be suggested lightly. The question was whether to continue with eSETS or to transfer two.

Anonymous
Anonymous

April 29th, 2012, 12:46 am #7

Go with 2. I say this as FET's are known to have less success wherever you cycle. I don't think I would ever recommend transferring all 4 though!! That's quite the HUGE risk to take!
Wishing you success!
ks
Just remember that if you transfer 2 you might have twins. Is that something you could handle with a toddler?

April 29th, 2012, 1:28 am #8

transfer what you can

Violet
Violet

April 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm #9

two. That seems to be safe considering CNY's stats.
It is not an easy decision. We are making it ourselves right now with a fresh and are not sure what to do.
GL,
Violet

Denise
Denise

April 29th, 2012, 2:59 pm #10

Last year a gal transferred 7 for a FET and is expecting one baby she is with CNY. There FET rates are so low. I would do two that way you also have two tries Good Luck..