Factor V Lieden questions

Factor V Lieden questions

July 26th, 2012, 10:37 pm #1

I have a friend at work that is expecting her first grandchild in Dec and her DIL just found out she is positive for Factor V Lieden. I knew it could cause problems getting pregnant but didn't know it could cause problems through out the pregnancy. They are sending her to a high risk OB next week and they have told her she has a one in 250 chance of MC. Anything you wonderful ladies can share with me about this?

July 26th, 2012, 11:51 pm #2

Found it out after I successfully carried two boys to term -- singletons. Then I started miscarrying. Attributed to age. (All were IVF). Anyway I went to donor and miscarried my first cycle. So I was tested and turned out to be Factor 5. You take lovenox during pregnancy and it solves the problem. Also you don't want to go past term, so I was induced for each of my last two children. Your friend should probably see a hematologist (I did not see a high risk OBGYN though of course one can -- I just don't like the waits at the high risk practices) and they will put her on lovenox, monitor her blood levels, etc. and she should be fine. Oh and you should not go for long car rides without breaking it up and walking around a bit every two hours. And also you should get up on airplanes and walk around every half hour.

Hope2009
Hope2009

July 28th, 2012, 5:09 am #3

I have a friend at work that is expecting her first grandchild in Dec and her DIL just found out she is positive for Factor V Lieden. I knew it could cause problems getting pregnant but didn't know it could cause problems through out the pregnancy. They are sending her to a high risk OB next week and they have told her she has a one in 250 chance of MC. Anything you wonderful ladies can share with me about this?
I was diagnosed with factor V leiden after our first fresh cycle ended in a chemical m/c. My Dr. and I were rather shocked that this perfect cycle failed. We had transferred two of the best blasts...one was hatching...one was on the verge of hatching...they were both so perfect and my lining was excellent too. I was told to expect possible multiples but then had a chemical m/c.

So it was then that my Dr. did a very complete blood panelt and found that I tested positive for this blood clotting disorder. The strange thing is that I had had 5 oe children already...although I did have a m/c at 12 weeks when I was 42...my Dr. then ran a panel of tests and found nothing at that time.

After that m/c I added a few other things to my ttc protocol since we were ttc naturally...one of them was a low dose aspirin...4 cycles after that m/c I got pg again and continued on the aspirin until I was out of the first trimester. At the time I thought that it maybe was the wheat grass that I started taking...and surrendering all my charts etc..but I NOW wonder if we kept our last oe baby because of the aspirin...I'll never know. I had a healthy pgcy and delivered that baby naturally when I 43.

I had another pgcy when I was almost 45 and lost the baby at 8 wks...I didn't do any aspirin and actually was working really physically hard at the time so I'll also never know had I changed my protocol etc if I would have kept that pgcy. I had several more chem m/c with my oe's before moving onto de's....after our chemical m/c using de's we did a fet and used heparin...I took that blood thinner for 20 weeks and had a great pgcy and a healthy baby.

During our next FET I started fragmin before the transfer....and also a blood thinner....my Dr. also wanted me to take a high dose of folic acid...and Vit D...that was the cycle that brought our twins and again I took fragmin for 20 weeks and the babies were born at 36 weeks and 2 days.

I don't know why I was able to have my first 4 children fairly easily...I did have a few early m/c's but it wasn't until I hit my 40's that things became difficult and my Dr.'s were always saying it was my eggs...I don't know..I think there was an implanting issue as well.

When I was diagnosed I asked about it on this board and it actually was quite common and easily managed by using the blood clotting drugs...lovenox, heparin or fragmin like I took...so I guess that is great news hey>

I think of you often Mary and pray that you will find a way to your babies.

Blessings from Hope